IBM 3161 Terminal & Model M 1386303, the original enhanced keyboard

wyatt8740

09 Aug 2015, 21:52

Hi, there.
Last november I went to a HAM radio convention (HAMfest) and found this very nice little IBM terminal, for $18 (USD):

I knew nothing about it at the time, but after getting home I looked it up, and learned this is an IBM 3161 ASCII Display Station (terminal) - and according to the deskthority wiki it's the first Enhanced Keyboard layout M ever made! It's not the earliest date of manufacture (this one's made in '87) but I still think it's really cool, so I'm posting some pictures.

Finally got it working a week or two ago, which is what made me think of taking photos.

A short video that demonstrates that it works, even though it was primarily intended to show the GNU nano developers a bug in their software:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2C8Jj55RqY&t=4m44s

Sorry about the horrible camera autofocus... When there's stuff on the screen it is more focused though.

Just because there's already a photo out there, here's someone else's 3161. I think his board is a 1386304, though, due to the different (ISO) layout.
(P.S. if anyone knows what the part number of that green CRT is, I'd really love to know! The amber one in mine is below)
Last edited by wyatt8740 on 09 Aug 2015, 22:58, edited 3 times in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Aug 2015, 22:09

Really nice too see the whole terminal thanks for sharing. At 18 bucks that's a steal btw. Quite a first post, welcome to DT. I have a hunch you are going to like it here.

wyatt8740

09 Aug 2015, 22:20

Thanks, seebart.
I have two other M's - both were free. 59G7980 and 1391401. But I really was pleased to find this locally, and it feels a little different (smoother) compared to my other M's as well. I like it a lot.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Aug 2015, 22:25

Well I'd say you got the essential Model M there. Can't do any better with the exception of the space saver we like to call SSK. Your's looks to be in real good shape too. Nice. Looks like you got the right telephone too. ;)

wyatt8740

09 Aug 2015, 22:31

Eh, I've looked into the space saver. I'd like one, but unless I stumble on one in real life (where it may actually be priced sanely), I'm going to consider this better for my own sake (and my wallet's sake) :\

I don't really mind the numpad, anyway. And yeah, this was my parents' phone. I got it from them :)

Khers

09 Aug 2015, 22:38

Noce terminal wyatt! The SSK is really something, but the feeling is the same as in the normal M. In fact, given that what you've got there is a square badge M, it's probably better! And I'n just gonna repeat what seebart said; at $18 that is indeed a steal!

wyatt8740

09 Aug 2015, 22:45

Thanks Khers :)

I found out I can use the 1386303 with a PC by swapping the PCB out of one of my PS/2 M's. Gonna keep that terminal intact for now, though, it's been fun setting it up. I'm glad I got the manual with the terminal, otherwise I probably would have never been able to figure it out :\

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

10 Aug 2015, 12:22

wow, so cool.

18$ is a really good deal too.

wyatt8740

11 Aug 2015, 02:51

It's great to get so many replies :)

Thinking when I head off to college in a couple weeks I'll take the terminal and my server together instead of a normal PC monitor, just because this uses less system resources than X11 and it'll give me an excuse to use that M.

Return to “Gallery”