KBC 75

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Sep 2011, 18:29

Yes, if you can touch type it is better than if you cannot. Also this keyboard is as ugly as a kid's piano with notes printed on the keys and LED backlighting. People who play that kind of piano tend to disagree.

woody
Count Troller

03 Sep 2011, 18:32

Olivetti rubber dome with backlight, if exists, must be the Ultimate #1 keyboard.

Rubber domes, because they're best for typing. And backlit (multi colors for special bonus points) because proper work is done in a dim room, looking at the keyboard.

Or so the Spoilutor said. He's all Pro.

The Solutor

03 Sep 2011, 19:04

webwit wrote: People who play that kind of piano tend to disagree.
Playing piano has nothing to do with touchtyping, you learn it or not (I did for the record), you cant understand if this message is written touchtiping or not, but you can easily understand if a piano if played properly.

So use a better argument.

The Solutor

03 Sep 2011, 19:09

woody wrote:Olivetti rubber dome with backlight, if exists, must be the Ultimate #1 keyboard.
Quoted correctly your message can be taken as an intelligent one.

For now you can please your eyes with a glowing M2, which is not good as an Olivetti but at least is not ugly like the usual model M.

http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=979
Last edited by The Solutor on 04 Sep 2011, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Sep 2011, 19:15

Your arguments are getting worse ;)
Playing piano has nothing to do with touchtyping
It does. Two words: muscle memory.
you learn it or not (I did for the record), you cant understand if this message is written touchtiping or not, but you can easily understand if a piano if played properly.
This is mist and an irrelevant part of the analogy. We were discussing how good touch typing is for yourself, so you don't have to look down and up. Next you're gonna say a piano makes music, a computer keyboard does not. Oh please. You are throwing mist by pretending not to understand the relevant parts of the analogy which are about muscle memory. The effect of not knowing how to play the piano properly or to have to look for the keys is that the output will be horrible. The effect of not knowing how to touchtype is that it takes a lot more effort to input. If you input only with your big toe, you can also get the same text in the end, but it will take a big effort and is not equal to typing with your hands.

The Solutor

03 Sep 2011, 19:34

The effect of not knowing how to touchtype is that it takes a lot more effort to input.
May I decide if my typing skill is good enough for my needs ?

May I decide if the little speed improvement that I can eventually obtain is worth the learning effort ?

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Sep 2011, 19:46

You may. It was never the point.

I wonder though how you know in advance it won't be worth it. I didn't learn how to type properly for a long time simply because the investment is big and it was that part that stopped me. While you are learning, you are less effective. You need the time, will and opportunity. There was nothing more to it.

I think it would be worth it for you as well. You seem to do a lot of typing. You type on a daily basis. You are not old. The reason I did learn was that I did not want to type in a less effective way for another couple of decades. Your assessment that an investment will not be worth it, seems therefore strange given the time period to pick the fruits of your investment, unless you are expecting brain interfaces to come into full production soon.

The Solutor

03 Sep 2011, 23:41

webwit wrote:I wonder though how you know in advance it won't be worth it.
Now, seriously I know myself, I can put any amount of energy to do something I like, but I refuse to do something that I perceive as mandatory, as forced. Likely I'm a cat not just on the avatar.

You seem to do a lot of typing. You type on a daily basis.
Indeed... I type lot mostly for pleasure, on forums blogs and so on, especially in this times that I'm mostly forced at home because family issues, and I'm perectly happy with my typing speed and technique, if I have to invest time to improve something, I choose to improve my English, for example.

That's something that's not enough, my knowlwdge about IT or electronics is not enough (and will never be) altough is higher than the vast majority of the people i know.

Different priorities.
Your assessment that an investment will not be worth it, seems therefore strange given the time period to pick the fruits of your investment, unless you are expecting brain interfaces to come into full production soon.
Oh, this is a different matter, be sure that this will be the future, I work sometimes for a medical center where all the doctors are using vocal recognition to profile the patients and they do it since 2003 or so, the university of Rome has working brain controlled devices (keyboard included) since 2008 and so on...

Surely the keyboards aren't the future, they represent a nice past for everyone started to use the PCs in their early years, they are surely the present, but the future...

Keyboards will end like the vinyl records or the vacuum tube electronics in the next years, maybe less than you imagine.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Sep 2011, 23:52

Vocal has a limited use. In an office you don't want to hear everybody talking to their computers.

I have read about these brain input devices and seen some videos. Someone concentrates on an E, and after 5 seconds in 80% of the cases an E appears, and in 20% something else.

So it will take some time. And if it gets perfected for recognizing the text you're thinking of fast, there's still an inherent problem. Typing on a keyboard is not directly connected to the brain, you can separate the typing function and different brain processes and different thoughts. If you type with your brain, you cannot think of other things. It will take a very long time for the technology to get as far as separating thought processes and only pick up the words you want to type, and become really useful. It's one thing to concentrate on letters like a zombie and having those letters recognized as input, it's another, much bigger step to make it usable in real life. Don't count on it anytime soon.

The Solutor

04 Sep 2011, 00:43

webwit wrote:Vocal has a limited use. In an office you don't want to hear everybody talking to their computers.

I have read about these brain input devices and seen some videos. Someone concentrates on an E, and after 5 seconds in 80% of the cases an E appears, and in 20% something else.

In Rome they are studying the matter more for helping the impaired people, so they are more concerned about driving wheelchairs, moving artificial hands and so on, and for that sector they are really in advanced state, a complex input is obviously an harder task but was already in a convincing state for a not industrialized prototype.
So it will take some time.
Surely but not forget how fast the technology evolve lately, sometimes we don't realize completely that evolution.

Just to point to something, the C64 or the Zx spectrum had an amount of memory that was not only less than the one present on a cellphone sold 10 years ago, was less than the ram present on the simcard ! or, if you prefer, was more or less the ram used by the GH + the DT logos !!

When I started to use Internet in '98 I was connected trough a cellphone at 1KB/s, three years ago, I reached 800KB/s, and now I'm "limited" to 1MB/s just because the data plan, but I could reach 6 MB/s.

When I started to play with electronics I was amazed by an unreliable FM transmitter, meant to send the voice (in one direction only) to a standard car stereo, useless, always out of calibration, but funny.
After 20 years a bluetooth dongle transmit data using the frequency hopping, jumping pseudorandomly 1600 times per second from one out 80 channels to another.

And it cost 6 euro.

An industrial robot, programmed mostly step by step, and dumb more than the ripster's wife, still look amazing today...

Amazing ? look at this (a three years old video)
It's not so easy to understand what we will have in 2020 (assuming the Maya were wrong :lol: )
Last edited by The Solutor on 04 Sep 2011, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.

mtl

04 Sep 2011, 03:52

Whatever works for you is perfectly alright. I typed and programmed with about 4 fingers for several years, had my own touch-typing style for the most used keys, but had to look down for at least 75% of the keyboard. It became easy to quickly glance down for common sequences (2 or 3 characters), then touch-type them. At one point I realized learning to touch-type "properly" was easily within reach, so invested a little bit of effort and learned most of the other keys. Point being, I think The Solutor is right in his priorities! Time is a precious resource and his typing ability is probably adequate for his needs. Learning a skill is best achieved when you are comfortable making the investment.

Konrad

04 Sep 2011, 04:03

Subsequent developments have made the Big Dog robot far more lifelike.

The Solutor

04 Sep 2011, 04:30

hhahahaha

woody
Count Troller

04 Sep 2011, 09:48

The Solutor wrote:Just to point to something, the C64 or the Zx spectrum had an amount of memory that was not only less than the one present on a cellphone sold 10 years ago, was less than the ram present on the simcard !
Most SIM cards still have RAM in the 1-2 KB range.

The Solutor

04 Sep 2011, 09:55

my first sim card bougt in 1996 had 8k, now 64k is the minimum, most simcard are 128k, some 256 or more

woody
Count Troller

04 Sep 2011, 12:06

RAM?

ripster

04 Sep 2011, 19:15

I've never seen such an offtopic forum.

Oh wait..it is a BIT familiar....maybe the common denominator is The Solutor?

The Solutor

04 Sep 2011, 20:26

woody wrote:RAM?
non volatile RAM.

The Solutor

04 Sep 2011, 20:27

ripster wrote:I've never seen such an offtopic forum.
hahahhahahaha

do you know other jokes like that ?

agor

05 Sep 2011, 09:42

Could you mayhaps refrain from doubleposting 1 minute after your last post? You know there are EDIT buttons?

woody
Count Troller

05 Sep 2011, 09:49

The Solutor wrote:
woody wrote:RAM?
non volatile RAM.
Still not correct. I am disappoint, Soilutor.

The Solutor

05 Sep 2011, 09:50

agor wrote:Could you mayhaps refrain from doubleposting 1 minute after your last post? You know there are EDIT buttons?

To give a pedantic reply to the nitpicking question, I'm used to separate the messages when I reply to two different users especially if, like in that case one is a series reply while the other is not.

Satisfied ?

The Solutor

05 Sep 2011, 09:56

woody wrote:Still not correct. I am disappoint, Soilutor.

So argument what are you writing, or avoid to wast my time and and forum bandwidth.

woody
Count Troller

06 Sep 2011, 21:21

The Solutor wrote:
woody wrote:Still not correct. I am disappoint, Soilutor.

So argument what are you writing, or avoid to wast my time and and forum bandwidth.
Mighty computer expert (as well as all things technical and beyond), you don't even know what RAM is.
But do carry on, amuse us on a regular basis.

The Solutor

06 Sep 2011, 21:55

woody wrote: Mighty computer expert (as well as all things technical and beyond), you don't even know what RAM is.
But do carry on, amuse us on a regular basis.
For now you're showing us that your trolling capability is raising.

But trolling aside I cant see half word about what are you confuting. To be honest I can't remember a single useful word in any of your messages.

So prof I'm wrong or shut up.

woody
Count Troller

06 Sep 2011, 23:04

Try reading again, this time slowly and carefully:
http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?p=20714#p20714

You might as well win "The Most Gratuitous Use of The Word RAM" prize.

The Solutor

06 Sep 2011, 23:15

woody wrote:Try reading again, this time slowly and carefully:
http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?p=20714#p20714

You might as well win "The Most Gratuitous Use of The Word RAM" prize.

I can see only a blatantly wrong information you posted, now unless i miss a magnetic tape recorder inside my SIM cards, should be Random Access Memory.

So if you`re seeking for a revenge you should look elsewhere or use a bit more of your data to explain your funky POV better.

woody
Count Troller

07 Sep 2011, 12:12

Soiluter, when you grasp the concept of RAM, please come back for discussion. Take your time.

The Solutor

07 Sep 2011, 14:22

Arguing with a sausage could be more productive.

itlnstln

07 Sep 2011, 14:30

That's better than the stuff they sell around here:

Return to “Gallery”