M0/1/1/399 1891003220

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

10 Dec 2015, 06:23

Another day, and rare and unusual keyboard :mrgreen:

This one, I'm not entirely sure what it's called or what it was for. Apparently the ebay seller thinks it was an external keyboard for a Sinclair ZX81, which seems reasonable.

It uses Magnetic Reed Switches. However, this keyboard is odd, it uses "horizontal coil springs" instead of the vertical ones like you usually see. Note the last pic, you'll see the springs. Each of those is for one of the switches on that side of the keyboard.
I'm not quite sure how to dismantle this keyboard with desoldering everything unfortunately :cry:

ImageDSC00554
ImageDSC00561
ImageDSC00562
ImageDSC00564
ImageDSC00567
ImageDSC00569
ImageDSC00571
ImageDSC00581

And can't forget the video, of the delightful magnetic reeds clicking away. This is also the first video with my new camera :mrgreen:
Flickr Album

Linkert

10 Dec 2015, 21:29

Jaw dropped! Breathtaking :)

webwit
Wild Duck

10 Dec 2015, 21:52

That's not a ZX81 replacement but a ZX Spectrum keyboard replacement. Horizontal springs, I haven't seen that before. Can't be worse than an original ZX Spectrum keyboard :) Although the keycaps of an original ZX Spectrum make the most excellent erasers I have ever owned. Erases pencil, pen ink, stains, blood etc. The real question is, would it survive Daley Thompson's Decathlon?

Chyros

10 Dec 2015, 23:00

Wait, is that clicky? Oo I didn't know there were clicky magnetic keyboards Oo .

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

10 Dec 2015, 23:06

Haha, all magnetic reed switches are clicky. Some are quite a bit louder (like this one), others are very quiet (have to put your ear next to it to hear it).
Still linear though.

Chyros

11 Dec 2015, 02:18

HaaTa wrote: Haha, all magnetic reed switches are clicky. Some are quite a bit louder (like this one), others are very quiet (have to put your ear next to it to hear it).
Still linear though.
How can they be clicky and linear at the same time? :p

EDIT: oh wait, is the clicking sound the noise of the reed contacts closing? =o It is THAT audible?

E3E

11 Dec 2015, 07:08

Man, I love this little thing. From its form factor, to its sound. Those reed switches really chirp, haha. I'm curious as to how the horizontal spring mechanisms affect feel, at least if there's any significant difference.

Chyros

11 Dec 2015, 10:37

It's also got the weirdest keycaps I've ever seen xD . Really fun little board! :)

Return to “Gallery”