Epson Q603A

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

29 Jan 2016, 21:59

Another Prototopre switch used by Epson. As I mentioned in this post the other day, I currently suspect that these domes were designed/OEM'd by Brother for a variety of different companies. Unfortunately, there are very few markings on the pcb, outside what seems to be the PCB fab identification (GCMK-136EX). This particular board has the number KB-33B-3 which is similar to the numbers Brother likes to use (not all the Prototopre boards have these).

The reason for my naming them as Prototopre is that they are very similar to Topre's keyboard design but were introduced before Topre started making office equipment by at least a couple years (perhaps more). The later evolution of the domes (mylar membrane contacts) have extremely similar styles of domes (no springs though).

The foam is in pretty bad shape on these domes so most of the foil has fallen off. Also, I hate foam. Looking at you IBM and every other keyboard manufacturer that put foam in their keyboards. It sucks to clean up.

ImageDSC03481
ImageDSC03478
ImageDSC03474
ImageDSC03473
ImageDSC03443
ImageDSC03435
ImageDSC03415
ImageDSC03402
ImageDSC03408
ImageDSC03399
ImageDSC03401
ImageDSC03397
ImageDSC03382
ImageDSC03357
ImageDSC03366
ImageDSC03352
ImageDSC03332
ImageDSC03301
ImageDSC03297
ImageDSC03294

Flickr Album

Mattr567

30 Jan 2016, 01:45

Are those doubleshots Topre compatible? I know some brother keycaps are.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

30 Jan 2016, 03:12

Are these switches actually nice to type on?

I also really really like the way you take your pictures Haata, they just have an amazing aesthetic feel to them.

Chyros

30 Jan 2016, 03:33

Ah, more Brother dome and foil! Very nice pictures, Redmaus is right, you really have a way with your camera :D .

Interesting system on the flip-out feet btw. Not sure I've seen that before.

Also, capacitive PCB's are always nice to look at :D .

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

30 Jan 2016, 08:14

Mattr567 wrote: Are those doubleshots Topre compatible? I know some brother keycaps are.
Sorta, they fit on, and the keys press fine. But because they only have one slot, the keycaps angle forward.

Redmaus wrote: Are these switches actually nice to type on?

I also really really like the way you take your pictures Haata, they just have an amazing aesthetic feel to them.
Funny story, when I met Edgar Matias for the first time (Toronto meetup in 2013), I brought one of these Prototopre keyboards with me. He said he preferred them to Topre :mrgreen:
Unfortunately, sometimes you get ones that feel super nice, others ones...not so much.

Also, thanks about the photos. I try to take them as I view the keyboard using the glare/sheen to show off the surface texture better.
Chyros wrote: Ah, more Brother dome and foil! Very nice pictures, Redmaus is right, you really have a way with your camera :D .

Interesting system on the flip-out feet btw. Not sure I've seen that before.

Also, capacitive PCB's are always nice to look at :D .
Epson/Seiko used this style of feet a bunch of times (though only on the prototopres). I still think I suck with my camera, but they are definitely *alot* better than before :D

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

30 Jan 2016, 08:15

Also, that particular connector is *THE WORST*. It's a discontinued DIN variant. I managed to find some by sheer accident a while back. It has a sort of horse-shoe shape so you really can't use the other DIN connectors.

REVENGE

31 Jan 2016, 03:28

HaaTa wrote: Also, that particular connector is *THE WORST*. It's a discontinued DIN variant. I managed to find some by sheer accident a while back. It has a sort of horse-shoe shape so you really can't use the other DIN connectors.
That's funny, I think the little tab on the connector that helps you pull it out is a really nice touch. :lol:

cookie

02 Feb 2016, 15:19

Seems like the caps could fit on topre :)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

02 Feb 2016, 15:41

cookie wrote: Seems like the caps could fit on topre :)
Not quite. I have some similar boards here and they are not Topre compatible.

Topre mounts are cylinders with two slits cut in them at 12 and 6 o'clock. These mounts are cylinders with one slit cut in it at 6 o'clock. They won't fit Topre sliders. I've tried.

Dogak

02 Nov 2019, 02:27

How can I use this with a modern PC?
Can you let me know what to do?

Return to “Gallery”