Operation Darling - Local recycling center raid !

Chyros

07 Sep 2016, 14:03

Nice, a couple of Hockeyduckfritzgoose boards, I see :) . Surprised you haven't found any Ms before, they're one of the ones I find most Oo .

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Sep 2016, 14:12

Chyros wrote: Nice, a couple of Hockeyduckfritzgooseboards, I see :)
:o :? :lol:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

07 Sep 2016, 14:18

Chyros wrote: Nice, a couple of Hockeyduckfritzgoose boards, I see :) . Surprised you haven't found any Ms before, they're one of the ones I find most Oo .
I knew you'd love the Krankenkassenversichertenkartenlesegerät ;)

Well the G80s are Germany's Model-Ms ...
Virtureal wrote: That 1800 layout is really cool, had never seen it before I saw the Leopold announcement and now you just found three boards with it.
The 1800 is a Cherry classic! Very famous in Germany for being available in great numbers for 3-5€ each :)

seebart

07 Sep 2016, 14:23

Wodan wrote: Well the G80s are Germany's Model-Ms ...
That's true, easily available. The one keyboard I don't really care for much. :x :roll:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

07 Sep 2016, 14:26

I have never typed on a G80-1000/1500/3000 but I have several keyboards that use G80 switches, stabilizers and keycaps :)

They are an amazing source of build parts :)

seebart

07 Sep 2016, 14:31

Wodan wrote: I have never typed on a G80-1000/1500/3000 but I have several keyboards that use G80 switches, stabilizers and keycaps :)

They are an amazing source of build parts :)
G80-1000 is pretty nice, it's the G80 to get. The case is more strudy, the overall quality is better. The great thing with these Cherry keyboards is of course it's all compatible.
IMGP8258.JPG
IMGP8258.JPG (964.22 KiB) Viewed 4999 times

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Sep 2016, 14:47

Wodan wrote: […]
Virtureal wrote: That 1800 layout is really cool, had never seen it before I saw the Leopold announcement and now you just found three boards with it.
The 1800 is a Cherry classic! Very famous in Germany for being available in great numbers for 3-5€ each :)
Of course you mean those with lasered caps, yours have doubleshots :D
Spoiler:
Also having 3 of them with doubleshots, which were not easy to spot or get,
I rather resent the fact that a single recycling center raid yields the same :mrgreen:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

07 Sep 2016, 14:57

seebart wrote: G80-1000 is pretty nice, it's the G80 to get. The case is more strudy, the overall quality is better. The great thing with these Cherry keyboards is of course it's all compatible.
They all make the same sound when I open the case with a crowbar and remove the switches with a flat head screrwdriver :)
kbdfr wrote: Of course you mean those with lasered caps, yours have doubleshots :D
Spoiler:
Also having 3 of them with doubleshots, which were not easy to spot or get,
I rather resent the fact that a single recycling center raid yields the same :mrgreen:
Indeed, I have actually NEVER seen those on ebay since I started stalking keyboards ...

seebart

07 Sep 2016, 15:21

Wodan wrote: They all make the same sound when I open the case with a crowbar and remove the switches with a flat head screrwdriver :)
So, what? :? The case of the G80-1000 is thicker better quality plastic than G80-3000. Still thinner than a Model M though. I don't think one can judge the plastic very well from any sound it makes. :?:

Chyros

07 Sep 2016, 15:39

seebart wrote:
Chyros wrote: Nice, a couple of Hockeyduckfritzgooseboards, I see :)
:o :? :lol:
It's Mu's term, but I really think we shouldn't let that term get consigned to oblivion, it's pretty hilarious xD .
Wodan wrote:
Chyros wrote: Nice, a couple of Hockeyduckfritzgoose boards, I see :) . Surprised you haven't found any Ms before, they're one of the ones I find most Oo .
I knew you'd love the Krankenkassenversichertenkartenlesegerät ;)
Wait till you see this week's review :lol: .

Wodan
ISO Advocate

07 Sep 2016, 15:41

seebart wrote: So, what? :? The case of the G80-1000 is thicker better quality plastic than G80-3000. Still thinner than a Model M though. I don't think one can judge the plastic very well from any sound it makes. :?:
Just saying I am a non appreciative brute when it comes to fine vintage keyboards ;)

seebart

07 Sep 2016, 15:46

Wodan wrote:
seebart wrote: So, what? :? The case of the G80-1000 is thicker better quality plastic than G80-3000. Still thinner than a Model M though. I don't think one can judge the plastic very well from any sound it makes. :?:
Just saying I am a non appreciative brute when it comes to fine vintage keyboards ;)
Ah OK I did not get that sorry. You know the sound does probably actually differ on various plastics and if you repreat that same operation often enough you may be able to tell something about the thickness of the plastic. If you have enough experience you could do like a "guess the keyboard blind" test like on Wettendass. :lol: Just so long as you're not too brute with the nice boards it's OK. :mrgreen:
Chyros wrote: It's Mu's term, but I really think we shouldn't let that term get consigned to oblivion, it's pretty hilarious xD .
Yeah that's something he would say. His German skills are comedic. :mrgreen:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Sep 2016, 12:46

Little teaser:

By far the biggest haul ever ... I am still PUMPED!

Will take pics later :)

Be excited!

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

21 Sep 2016, 14:50

I am excited :) If you want to sell some stuff again I am interested in IBM stuff and special alps switches ;)

alh84001
v.001

21 Sep 2016, 14:55

Interesting :) I see a bunch of Ms, if any of them are rubberdome variant and you don't need it, I'll be interested. Also, what is that keyboard with the tightly coiled black cable in the upper left?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Sep 2016, 15:13

Seven Model-M, four of them are "complete" and three have missing keys and/or broken barrels.
One of them is even an M2, missing the ISO-Enter though :(

ba7777
飞不动的加林查

21 Sep 2016, 15:28

show me the cherry boards plz. They are so tempting.

Chyros

21 Sep 2016, 16:06

ba7777 wrote: show me the cherry boards plz. They are so tempting.
I see several of them ;) . That looks like a great haul, congrats! :D

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Sep 2016, 21:02

Took these photos with my new awesome China photo lights!

#1 Half-rotten Terminal Model-M with AWESOME numpad legends:

#2 Pretty beaten up Model M

#3 Model M2 very very unfortunately missing the ISO-Enter key :(

#4 Lexmark Model M

#5 IBM Model M

#6 Lexmark Model M

#7 IBM Termial Model M with AWEEEESOME numpad Legends

#8 Cherry G80-HAD "all white" pretty un-yellowed!

#9 Cherry G80 Winkey Think-PBT

#10 Televideo keyboard with interesting switches ... couldn't pass on this!

#11 Plate-mounted Cherry MX Black with DCS caps (1 cap mising)

#12 Plate mounted Cherry MX Black with DCS caps (complete)

#13 Dell AT102DW (Black Alps)

#14 DESKO Keyboard with Cherry SAD caps

#15 Olivetti ANK 27-102N (sweeet rubberdome)

#16 Cherry G81 thick POM (keycap missing)

#17 Tatung AWESOMEBOARD! Input? Sure the connaisseurs will love this. 2 caps missing/broken off

#18 Cherry G80-11900 Lasered Thin

#19 Cherry G80 HAD (1 cap missing)

#20 Cherry G80 thin lasered, winkeys MX black

#21 Cherry G81 Thick PBT lasered

#22 Cherry G80 HAD "ESA-3000-HAGDO"

#23 Cherry G81 Thick PBT lasered

#24 Cherry G81-7000 Thick POM

#25 Cherry G81 HAD (missing 2 caps) but I can't leave a HAD behind !!

#26 Olivetti ANK 27-102 N

#27 Cherry G80-0904HAD TEH AMIGA KEYBOARD!!!!!!

Pictures of the backsides can be found here:
http://imgur.com/a/8xWp2

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

21 Sep 2016, 21:07

The Televideo board has Space Invaders switches. The Tatung board has vintage Alps tee mount.

Excellent finds. I'm sure some people will be SAD that they could not join you.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

21 Sep 2016, 21:12

Oh cool thanks for the input!!

Ima do a fire sale soon. Too many keyboard piling up ...

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

21 Sep 2016, 21:40

Looking forward to your sale :) .

*edit: that first model m looks very tempting, If the price is reasonable, I will take it and restore it.
Last edited by hypkx on 21 Sep 2016, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

snoopy

21 Sep 2016, 21:50

Just read through the whole thread and looked at all the pics. Nice hobby!

You must have a lot of patience. :) But there are some awesome finds. #7 in your last haul has some really weird keycaps :)

what's your favorite board so far that you found?

what is your holy grail that you would like to find?

how do you store all these boards? and do you really clean every board?

keep up the great work!

macboarder

21 Sep 2016, 23:14

Great googly moogly! Very nice finds indeed.

seebart

21 Sep 2016, 23:18

Love the Tatung, what switch does it use? Looks like Alps SKCC. Quite a haul Wodan! Congrats.

alh84001
v.001

21 Sep 2016, 23:38

Wodan wrote: Took these photos with my new awesome China photo lights!

#10 Televideo keyboard with interesting switches ... couldn't pass on this!
I knew this was something interesting :) Should be tactile space invaders. My linear NMB oard has a similar cord, only white.

Also, you were either very careful, or very lucky that spring stayed in its place. Or both :)

IKSLM

22 Sep 2016, 09:39

Does anyone know what protocol #12 speaks? Could it be converted for the PC?

Nuum

22 Sep 2016, 09:51

It's a Wyse keyboard, so you could probably use this: workshop-f7/wyse-converter-t7424.html

IKSLM

22 Sep 2016, 12:09

Thanks!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

24 Sep 2016, 22:39

snoopy wrote: what's your favorite board so far that you found?

what is your holy grail that you would like to find?

how do you store all these boards? and do you really clean every board?

keep up the great work!
Almost missed this post, thanks for all the questions :)

My favourite find so far is a Blue Alps board I found in a time where I was desperately looking for blue Alps. This was also the first Alps board I found there at all so even more of a surprise for me. I was expecting white or black, maybe cream Alps.

The holy grail would be either a beamspring keyboard or a keyboard with Nixie switches. Not that I'm a Nixie cultist but they just look awesome ;)

Storing all these boards has become quite a challenge because I was never expecting that many keyboards. I am way behind cleaning all the boards - even my favourites. My usual cleaning routine is stripping the case of all metal & electronics parts and putting them in the dishwasher, cleaning the PCB/plate with a brush and a vacuum cleaner, maybe some cleaning alcohol and putting the keycaps into the ultrasound cleaner. Additional processing on the keycaps could be retr0brighting and sandblasting but that is too much effort to do it for all the caps. I am also missing the right "plate to bright & sandblast Alps mount keycaps ...

Most of the boards are supposed to be sold though, I have a sales thread in the Club Members section of this forum where I offer selected keyboards from the recycler at fair prices. I'm just having a hard time selling them all for cheap and then finding them on ebay a few days later.

Fun fact: I never sold a keyboard on ebay

Return to “Gallery”