IBM Model M Rescue

snuci
Vintage computer guy

20 Jun 2016, 22:39

I don't know where to put this but I am the happy recipient of a few IBM Model M's that were rescued from an automotive plant today. As a vintage computer collector, I have been able to acquire various items and save them from demolition. These keyboards were on the scrap pile waiting to be sent out but I managed to trade a couple of vintage computers for the lot. I figured you guys might like to see my progress with these.

All told, there are 20 keyboards. More info and pics to come later. This is probably the norm for clickykeyboards or elecplus but I'm pretty pumped about this find.

The "Unboxing":
IBM Model M Rescue - three boxes from UPS
IBM Model M Rescue - three boxes from UPS
IBM Model M Rescue - three boxes from UPS.JPG (249.23 KiB) Viewed 7763 times
IBM Model M Rescue - boxes opened
IBM Model M Rescue - boxes opened
IBM Model M Rescue - boxes opened.JPG (278.81 KiB) Viewed 7763 times
IBM Model M Rescue - keyboards in box 1
IBM Model M Rescue - keyboards in box 1
IBM Model M Rescue - keyboards in box 1.JPG (403.2 KiB) Viewed 7763 times
IBM Model M Rescue - chords in box 2
IBM Model M Rescue - chords in box 2
IBM Model M Rescue - chords in box 2.JPG (381.17 KiB) Viewed 7763 times
IBM Model M Rescue - keyboards in box 2
IBM Model M Rescue - keyboards in box 2
IBM Model M Rescue - keyboards in box 2.JPG (407.22 KiB) Viewed 7763 times
IBM Model M Rescue - chords in box 3
IBM Model M Rescue - chords in box 3
IBM Model M Rescue - chords in box 3.JPG (464.41 KiB) Viewed 7763 times
IBM Model M Rescue - keyboards in box 3
IBM Model M Rescue - keyboards in box 3
IBM Model M Rescue - keyboards in box 3.JPG (394.25 KiB) Viewed 7763 times
The keyboards laid out:
IBM Model M Rescue - keyboards arranged as arrived
IBM Model M Rescue - keyboards arranged as arrived
IBM Model M Rescue - keyboards arranged.JPG (533.14 KiB) Viewed 7763 times
Last edited by snuci on 23 Jun 2016, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

I've cleaned all of the keyboards finally and was left with the industrial SSK to look over (I left it to the end). Well, I decided I'm not touching it. I didn't even have to wipe it down. It is in mint condition with the silicon cover is equally in perfect condition. I honestly don't think it's been touched. It's a Lexmark from 1995 yet it appears to be number "62". Seems odd that these would be new this late in the game. This must have been one of the first produced by Lexmark. It also has a thicker than normal coiled cable that is much like the early black cables (like the silver labeled industrial).

In any case, who doesn't like an industrial SSK in a "condom" anyway? :) Here's some pics.
IBM 41G3600 - front
IBM 41G3600 - front
IBM 41G3600 - front.JPG (426.17 KiB) Viewed 7195 times
IBM 41G3600 - back
IBM 41G3600 - back
IBM 41G3600 - back.JPG (372.88 KiB) Viewed 7195 times
IBM 41G3600 - profile
IBM 41G3600 - profile
IBM 41G3600 - profile.JPG (320.31 KiB) Viewed 7195 times
EDIT: Well, Webwit doesn't think it's a good idea to keep the cover on so I took his advise and removed the cover (after 20 years or so). Here's a couple of pics of it "wild and free" :)
IBM 41G3600 - front (no cover)
IBM 41G3600 - front (no cover)
IBM 41G3600 - front (no cover).JPG (406.05 KiB) Viewed 7191 times
IBM 41G3600 - back (no cover)
IBM 41G3600 - back (no cover)
IBM 41G3600 - back (no cover).JPG (364.2 KiB) Viewed 7191 times
Last edited by snuci on 02 Jul 2016, 00:15, edited 2 times in total.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

Reserved for future use.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Jun 2016, 22:42

Hahaha very good. May the force be with you. Good to see everything got to you in one piece alright.
Last edited by seebart on 20 Jun 2016, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

20 Jun 2016, 22:43

Really great find, congrats :D

emdude
Model M Apologist

20 Jun 2016, 22:43

Wow, what a fantastic find! :shock:

So glad you were able to save all of those Industrials (and especially that Industrial SSK) from an untimely demise! Congrats!

cookie

20 Jun 2016, 22:45

Ooooouh.... that is a nice grab, I call dibs on the SSK!

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Jun 2016, 22:47

Wow!

Halvar

20 Jun 2016, 22:48

Unbefrigginglievable! :shock:

chzel

20 Jun 2016, 22:55

Now, that's a haul!
I'd love one of the industrials, or maybe two. Unless shipping is crazy of course!
Great job snuci!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

20 Jun 2016, 23:12

I do apologize but I don't have any intentions of selling any of them any time soon. That would be the opposite of "collecting". In fact, if I could have collected the computers that these went with, I would have been happier but that was not possible. Sorry guys.

lolpes

20 Jun 2016, 23:22

My god!! That is one great find and even a better rescue! Congrats!!!!

Chyros

20 Jun 2016, 23:24

Holy shit, and people say _I_ get nice hauls Oo . That's some serious gold right there, looks like a 0131, six industrials (what's that red thing?), and industrial SSK and what even looks like a 1388032 oO . Great gibbering monkey nuts, that must be over two grand right there! oO

And all rescued from the chomper which makes it even better :D .

chzel

20 Jun 2016, 23:28

snuci wrote: I do apologize but I don't have any intentions of selling any of them any time soon.
My bank account thanks you. Would be nice to get an industrial, but at least they got rescued!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

20 Jun 2016, 23:48

Chyros wrote: Holy shit, and people say _I_ get nice hauls Oo .
You do. Don't fight it :)
Chyros wrote: That's some serious gold right there, looks like a 0131, six industrials (what's that red thing?), and industrial SSK and what even looks like a 1388032 oO .
From a quick glance:
- (8) white and (3) grey label M's are all 1391401
- (1) silver label M is 1390131
- (6) industrial M's are 1394946
- (1) black label Indy is 1390653
- (1) Indy SSK is 41G3600

Unfortunately, the black label Indy is missing the black label. I doubt I would be able to find one any more. Oh, and the red thing is a sticker. The SSK also have a rubber form fitted cover on it. It's in pristine condition.

emdude
Model M Apologist

21 Jun 2016, 00:07

Maybe you can get one custom-made, like the labels in the GB that Seebart is running. :)

snuci
Vintage computer guy

21 Jun 2016, 00:21

Thanks emdude. I'm already looking into it. We'll see what develops.

terrycherry

21 Jun 2016, 04:56

O...That's great. I hope all the industrials with the Oak. Hope to collect one indeed.

cookie

21 Jun 2016, 15:21

snuci wrote: I do apologize but I don't have any intentions of selling any of them any time soon. That would be the opposite of "collecting". In fact, if I could have collected the computers that these went with, I would have been happier but that was not possible. Sorry guys.
Helping other "collect" is like "collecting"!
I hope you consider helping :)

andrewjoy

21 Jun 2016, 16:02

Holy shit ! An industrial SSK.

That silver label with its black cord, mmmmm.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

21 Jun 2016, 16:02

snuci, how far did these keyboards need to travel? I see this was via UPS. I assume this was UPS Ground? Did everything arrive intact?

I've sent similar quantities of boards to clickykeyboards in the past. This is basically what I do: zigzag bubble wrap between boards, cables on top, fill with packing peanuts. It seems to have worked well enough here.

I think air travel is much less kind to my boxes. I've had a few items now be thoroughly destroyed (cracked cases, cracked key caps) in transit. I'm looking for patterns here.

At some point I'll put together a separate thread about packing.

As for not selling: that is your choice of course. I've been trying to be more thoughtful about my collection and thinking about how each and every individual item contributes to a greater whole. For example, what benefit is there to me to have six identical Apple M0116 boards with the same key caps and switches? None, really, except that I have more potential donors for parts for projects. This, too, merits a separate thread.

These look really clean out of the box. Were they under keyboard protectors or something like this while in use?

beltet

21 Jun 2016, 17:12

Nice catch! Would love to stumble on something similar!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

21 Jun 2016, 19:36

terrycherry wrote: O...That's great. I hope all the industrials with the Oak. Hope to collect one indeed.
The industrial M's in this case are buckling spring keyboards. The only one I have encountered that had Oak switches was the Industrial XT.
XMIT wrote: snuci, how far did these keyboards need to travel? I see this was via UPS. I assume this was UPS Ground? Did everything arrive intact?
They went from Detroit, Michigan to Toronto, Ontario, Canada via UPS ground. I also sent my computers the same way but opposite. The computers actually went by ground transportation but I believe the keyboards went via air because they made a stop in Romulus, Michigan (where the Detroit Metro Airport is. Everything arrived intact on both fronts. I was definitely worried so that's why I instructed the person I traded with to put the grey keyboards in the middle :)
XMIT wrote: For example, what benefit is there to me to have six identical Apple M0116 boards with the same key caps and switches?
I don't collect keyboards per se. I collect vintage computers and the keyboards kinda collect all by themselves. This is too many but if I ever get my hands of a couple of industrial IBM computers, I'm all set. I didn't say I would never sell; just not now because I like to actually refurbish and clean up keyboards. It's relaxing for me. A mind-numbing task that I need once in a while. I'll play some vintage computer podcasts while I do them and it's relaxing. Did you know there was a mechanical keyboard builder's podcast?
XMIT wrote: These look really clean out of the box. Were they under keyboard protectors or something like this while in use?
I've removed caps from four already and the top part of the buckling spring plates are super clean with a couple being dusty. The key caps are, however, range from "bot too bad" to "dirty". Being these were on a shop floor, I'm guessing they didn't eat lunch while they used them so they are in surprisingly good shape other than some having proken plstic rivets. I would probably blame that on keyboard orientation and the trip to me. They were also thrown on a pile. That can't help matters either.

LewisR

22 Jun 2016, 05:20

Nice! There's animal rescuers and vintage computer component rescuers. All doing good work ;)

adhoc

22 Jun 2016, 15:38

Holy...I think my mouth watered a little. That industrial SSK! And they all look in such great condition too!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

22 Jun 2016, 15:43

Great haul. I wish I'll have an industrial SSK one day.

vsev

22 Jun 2016, 18:13

So much IBM sweeties in one pic, nice recipe snuci !

hoggy

23 Jun 2016, 11:42

...just amazed.

pcaro

23 Jun 2016, 13:04

I felt in love with that Industrial SSK. Congrats

Mattr567

23 Jun 2016, 20:07

Wow.

Return to “Gallery”