Cherry G81-1281 SAW - Polish Programmer dyesubs! (bad quality photos!)

scottc

17 Jul 2016, 00:00

Hi guys.

I've just realised that I never posted any pictures of this board! It's an incredibly rare and interesting Cherry board, for me at least since I'm quite fond of the Polish language and am currently learning Polish (nie bardzo dobrze). To celebrate finding such an interesting keyboard, I'll annotate sentences with some rough Ponglish translations based on my language learning skills.

Warning: these are absolutely facking terrible photos (przepraszam), taken on my phone in bad lighting at midnight (o kurwa). Just wanted to get pictures up to document it.

The left control cap was unfortunately missing, and the MY stem broken off. This is a stand-in (thanks, kbdfr!).

Close-ups of weird legends:

Stabilized

17 Jul 2016, 00:42

Looks fantastic, is that shine I see on the enters and page down keys?
Do you have any plans for the caps?

scottc

17 Jul 2016, 00:56

Shockingly yeah, there is actually a bit of shine on the caps! You really wouldn't expect it from dyesub PBT but here we are.

The caps are becoming part of my permanent collection. No idea what else I'm going to do yet. :D One day I'll build a perfect MX 60% with my HASRO caps, and a perfect MX TKL with these caps. No idea how/what that is yet.

photekq
Cherry Picker

17 Jul 2016, 05:33

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

17 Jul 2016, 06:47

Love the way this layout looks, the proof you don't need ISO. It reminds me of the Romanian keyboard layout :) I onew tou had this board it's nice to see the photos.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Jul 2016, 07:17

Kurwaaaaa!

Will do some experiments with PBT sandblasting with some WORN thick-PBT L-Caps soon and see if we can unshine them as well. I've seen some shiny Cherry PBT caps ... Especially the ISO enter keys easily get shiny spots.

One of the worst worn PBT caps I've seen is this shift key:
https://imgur.com/a/vXnSE
You can see that the lasered legends haven't suffered AT ALL even though the keycap is basically blank all around the legend. I have never found L-caps with worn legends!

emdude
Model M Apologist

17 Jul 2016, 07:28

Yeah, you wouldn't think PBT key caps would get that bad, but it does happen..

One IBM Model M that passed through my hands strangely had an incredibly shiny Esc key cap (of all keys, too). No texture left whatsoever, like a very very well-used doubleshot ABS cap. Whoever owned the Model M must have compulsively rubbed a finger on it constantly to do such a thing.

scottc

17 Jul 2016, 10:54

I hope I didn't make you cry, phote... :lol:

@Wodan The experiments sound interesting but I could never risk destroying a set of Cherry dyesubs... too scary. :D I'm excited to see how it turns out though!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Jul 2016, 12:33

Well ... Some of the cherry dyesubs I have are so worn ... I will not use them unless i find a way to touch up the surface.

That's really something that was recently added to my "pro" list for ABS doubleshots. They do shine but they are easy and relatively risk free to refurbish.

scottc

17 Jul 2016, 12:38

Yeah, the fact that ABS caps are so cheap definitely helps. I don't use these caps very often because of the shine, but regardless I'm too afraid to fuck them up. I don't know anyone else who's posted them before...

scottc

06 Jul 2019, 18:59

I should take better pics of these keycaps
Last edited by scottc on 06 Jul 2019, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

Delirious

06 Jul 2019, 19:02

Now this is something else, beautiful set.

HzFaq

08 Jul 2019, 18:16

Bit of a blast from the past scott! Nice to see it again, how's the Polish coming along?

scottc

11 Jul 2019, 12:42

HzFaq wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 18:16
Bit of a blast from the past scott! Nice to see it again, how's the Polish coming along?
Worse than you'd expect since moving to the UK!

LightningXI

20 Aug 2019, 10:18

Hey scottc! Would love to see these documented in new photos sometime soon =)
It's such a lovely board.

Khers

20 Aug 2019, 10:37

scottc wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 18:59

I should take better pics of these keycaps
Best keycap pic of all time.

Myoth

11 Oct 2020, 16:05

It's here ... after all these years, we have the PROOF of existence of such a keyboard. Thanks scott for the picture!
IMG_1263.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 7244 times

LightningXI

16 Jan 2021, 17:27

Myoth wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:05
It's here ... after all these years, we have the PROOF of existence of such a keyboard. Thanks scott for the picture!

IMG_1263.JPG
Do we have any more high-quality/detailed pics of the rest of the board?

I'd really like to see more :geek:

Return to “Gallery”