HADers gonna hate!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 Jul 2016, 17:51

There's been some OG Cherry keycaps piling up while I was waiting for some additional NPKC keycap holders that I love to use for sandblasting. After putting all the loose keycaps up on keycap holders I couldn't resist taking a picture of the goodness:

I'm a terrible HAD-hoarder :(

Next step is examaning all sets for shiny spots, mark them with a whiteboard marker and then take them to the sandblasting cabinet. Will post more detail pics and some before/after stuff in my sandblasting thread.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Jul 2016, 17:58

You really HAD to post this didn't you? :mrgreen:

scottc

22 Jul 2016, 18:29

Wodan, I think you need to stop drinking while keyboarding...

Prelim

22 Jul 2016, 18:51

SAD you HAD so many shinning sets! Go for that sandblasting ;)

seebart

22 Jul 2016, 19:00

scottc wrote: Wodan, I think you need to stop drinking while keyboarding...
That's what's called a creative layout. ;) :lol:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 Jul 2016, 20:17

Have you never heard about the flipped, stepped caps lock? It's the new flipped spacebar!

seebart

22 Jul 2016, 20:42

The flipped spacebar is cool, but that enter next to the num-block is crazy. :o :lol:

PlastikSchnittstelle

22 Jul 2016, 20:47

Wodan, here is my diagnosis: it's an addiction! :)

Dra

22 Jul 2016, 21:41

That's a lot of HAD

if you were to offer a sand blasting service i'd be your first customer :P

shreebles
Finally 60%

23 Jul 2016, 13:46

Wish I HAD some of dat goodness! Lovely.

If you are done sandblasting let me know, and I'll send you my shiny HAD kit to sandblast so you don't get bored! :twisted:

jerue

23 Jul 2016, 19:49

You HAV SAT on these caps for a while... HAD enough of these keycaps by now? ...HEU HEU HEU. :lol:

Chyros

23 Jul 2016, 20:22

This is the most efficient thread I've ever seen :p .

PlastikSchnittstelle

24 Jul 2016, 22:09

its interesting to see the different stages of "yellowing" side by side / in comparison.

In expectation of the HADapter I'm wondering if cleaning my HAD set will be enough to make the HADapter fit it well. or put differently - if cleaning will be able to restore the near "original" tone (color).

I'm curios - what's your experience so far with restoring the caps (in terms of color). In regard to "shine": I'm actually fine when ABS caps are shiny or worn off, I think it's more true to the material.

but I have to admit I'm not that experienced jet with GMK ABS caps. right now I really enjoy dyesub PBT caps from, well ... enjoy PBT :)

strafe

25 Jul 2016, 08:50

scottc wrote: Wodan, I think you need to stop drinking while keyboarding...

What? You've never heard of the IWUTZR layout?

shreebles
Finally 60%

25 Jul 2016, 10:07

Exactly, it's very sensible and ergonomic especially for Germans to use.

Äll Öff the Ümlauts väry clöse to yöur fingertips.

Chyros

25 Jul 2016, 13:40

I think the spacebar is way too prominent on the German layout, the Germans don't really use it anyway. With words like SPITZENAUSGENOMMENINGENBLAUGRAUACHTUNGSSCHMERTZENHERGESTELLUNGSWAFFENWURSTGESCHNITZELBAHN, who needs a spacebar? Image

Wodan
ISO Advocate

25 Jul 2016, 13:47

noone.

shreebles
Finally 60%

25 Jul 2016, 13:53

Chyros wrote: SPITZENAUSGENOMMENINGENBLAUGRAUACHTUNGSSCHMERTZENHERGESTELLUNGSWAFFENWURSTGESCHNITZELBAHN,
While creative, that's not really a word.
But the tendency is correct. In german, making a composite out of two or more words is customary.

This results in real words such as Grund­stücks­ver­kehrs­ge­neh­mi­gungs­zu­stän­dig­keits­über­tra­gungs­ver­ord­nung and Rind­fleisch­eti­ket­tie­rungs­über­wa­chungs­auf­ga­ben­über­tra­gungs­ge­setz.

Making the mistake of adding a space between such words is a linguistic faux pas that is frowned upon and changes the meaning of some words in a comical way, which is why it's called Deppenleerzeichen (idiot's space).
It even has its own homepage: http://www.deppenleerzeichen.de/

Chyros

25 Jul 2016, 14:00

shreebles wrote:
Chyros wrote: SPITZENAUSGENOMMENINGENBLAUGRAUACHTUNGSSCHMERTZENHERGESTELLUNGSWAFFENWURSTGESCHNITZELBAHN,
While creative, that's not really a word.
But the tendency is correct. In german, making a composite out of two or more words is customary.

This results in real words such as Grund­stücks­ver­kehrs­ge­neh­mi­gungs­zu­stän­dig­keits­über­tra­gungs­ver­ord­nung and Rind­fleisch­eti­ket­tie­rungs­über­wa­chungs­auf­ga­ben­über­tra­gungs­ge­setz.

Making the mistake of adding a space between such words is a linguistic faux pas that is frowned upon and changes the meaning of some words in a comical way, which is why it's called Deppenleerzeichen (idiot's space).
It even has its own homepage: http://www.deppenleerzeichen.de/
Yeah, it's very prevalent in Dutch too, the vast majority of people, especially my age or younger, can't spell anymore because of this. It's called the English Disease and it's pretty bad.

shreebles
Finally 60%

25 Jul 2016, 14:04

True, it's the same problem in German! Lots of spelling mistakes come from the influence of the English language, I imagine it's worse in Dutch because so many Dutch people speak English so well.

Due to this, there's also the Deppenapostroph(idiot's apostrophe) as words in German don't need an apostrophe to indicate possession.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

25 Jul 2016, 14:08

The Deppenapostroph has been largely legalized!

But there are still places only retard's put an apostrophe ...

shreebles
Finally 60%

25 Jul 2016, 15:23

It mustn't be!

I need such things to bolster my perceived linguistic superiority over fellow Germans!

scottc

25 Jul 2016, 16:35

I think something similar has happened with English. Except now there's a large breakaway sect who exclusively speak this bastardised form of the language. They've even had the gall to declare independence. Truly awful.

eekee

27 Jul 2016, 12:24

Don't worry, plenty of idiots misuse apostrophes in English, too.
Wodan wrote: But there are still places only retard's put an apostrophe ...
*sigh*... :lol:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

27 Jul 2016, 12:40

For a long time I had considered opening a new orthographic thread for DT posters,
but in the meantime I am convinced it is pointless to explain even to native English speakers
the difference between "its" and "it’s" or "there" and "their".

Chyros

27 Jul 2016, 13:08

kbdfr wrote: For a long time I had considered opening a new orthographic thread for DT posters,
but in the meantime I am convinced it is pointless to explain even to native English speakers
the difference between "its" and "it’s" or "there" and "their".
I've found native English speakers do it wrong way more often than foreigners do :p . I always feel a little embarrassed when I'm doing report corrections here or stuff like that and I'm correcting native speakers on the grammar of their own language xD .

ohaimark
Kingpin

27 Jul 2016, 13:17

I'm an English major in the United States. I can confirm that Americans are the source of many linguistic woes. Adopting "txt speak" and grammar/vocab from AAVE contributes further impetus to the idiocy.

Edit: Some of the adopted words are brilliant, though.

eekee

27 Jul 2016, 16:31

Apostrophes are logical enough, but I can understand native English speakers reluctance to try to understand anything about their language because school teaches us many of the normal, natural constructs of our language are wrong, and we ought to be using this different grammar which is not natural to us at all. This was really noticeable where I grew up in south-east England.

elecplus

27 Jul 2016, 16:40

I had advanced English classes all the way through school, and we were taught English much like chemistry. Words have a base, and you can modify them using prefixes and suffixes. Made perfect sense to me. I used to work for a biotech company, and the owner was very good at chemistry. He never could understand what I meant when I said that prepend, append, depend, dependent, etc. are all related, but despondent was not related to those words at all.

PlastikSchnittstelle

27 Jul 2016, 17:31

okaaay,
i'll probably pay more attention to this "its & it's" thing from now on

Return to “Gallery”