IBM 6715 Typewriter

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

05 Aug 2016, 00:41

Some days ago I received my IBM buckling spring typewriter, here some pictures from the breakdown.

IBM badge

Stabelized enter key

Metall plate

keyboard

Cherry switch

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

05 Aug 2016, 14:58

Very interesting to see one of these in detail, good work, thanks for sharing. Love the layout.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

05 Aug 2016, 18:53

I love also the layout, a bit like a model F XT or a 60% keyboard. Its also the first time I got my hands on a buckling spring enter keycap with a stabelizer wire, a very interesting experience.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

05 Aug 2016, 18:58

Just from your pictures I can see IBM built these extremely well.

emdude
Model M Apologist

05 Aug 2016, 19:13

Very nice, thanks for sharing. A friend's grandparents has one of these, they would use it to write their yearly Christmas letters. I am not sure if they are still using it, but for now I think it is collecting dust underneath a cloth cover. I don't think they've ever owned a computer as well.

Hopefully I can save it if they ever decide to toss it or something. It's a pretty great piece of equipment, love the key caps and the Code key. :D

gianni

01 Sep 2017, 14:17

If only this could be connected to a pc with an adapter....

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

01 Sep 2017, 20:42

orihalcon

04 Sep 2017, 05:00

gianni wrote: If only this could be connected to a pc with an adapter....
I highly recommend using a Model F Xwhatsit, just run short jumpers to the original membrane connectors that have been desoldered from the original controller/pcb to the rows and columns on the Model F Xwhatsit. It's perfect because there are 16 columns and 8 rows which fits the membranes of all Wheelwriters and SSK's! Super easy to program, and you can optionally add a solenoid :)

See here, this was an SSK, but same concept Applies to wheelwriters: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69394 and scroll to the last post showing photos.

Video here of the M with solenoid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYIDDoRS25Y

Sorry the video is so crappy :/

keyboardist

12 Jul 2020, 02:19

What is that long black and white switch exactly?

zrrion

12 Jul 2020, 02:37

that is a cherry M9 switch. I've seen TA and Royal typewriters use them like that but never a wheelwriter before

adueppen

22 Jul 2021, 06:22

zrrion wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 02:37
that is a cherry M9 switch. I've seen TA and Royal typewriters use them like that but never a wheelwriter before
Keen observation there, since as it turns out these typewriters were actually made by TA Royal!

According to the info I could find, the 6715 uses the internals of the Gabriele 9009, albeit obviously with an IBM keyboard and casing. The M9s being used for the lid switch (as well as loading the paper when you pull way back on the paper bail lever) seems to be somewhat of a TA Royal staple, and the paper end guide on the left side of the platen as well as the red levers on the print head look identical to my 700D.
(not my pic and this is actually the 620C, but I'm currently repairing the 700D and don't really have any decent pics)

Return to “Gallery”