Ortek MKB-84SX: The Restoration

keycap

23 Sep 2016, 18:10

It's no surprise that Alps keyboards tend to be far from usable in poor condition. Unfortunately, I wasn't very aware about this when I purchased my first Alps SKCM keyboard a little over a year ago: the Ortek MKB-84SX. It's an Alps SKCM White keyboard with an odd yet modern 75% layout. The only drawback was that the condition. Although certainly reversible, it was in very poor condition when I got it. It was only until recently where I got around to restoring it.

Before:

After:

I worked hard to thoroughly clean all of the switches. Not just dusting them out, but soaking every single part of the switches aside from the switchplates. Took some time to clean up the plate, tried to remove as much corrosion as possible, gave it a (somewhat) better paint job and reassembled it. The result? It was completely worth it. The switches feel much smoother now, and the clicks are much more consistent.

I had to also replace the caps because the original modifier keys were low-quality, pad-printed ABS. As of now, every single key is double-shot ABS aside for the ISO enter key.

Not too big about the layout, I prefer my AT-101W for its layout, but it's still a very fun board.

chiptea

23 Sep 2016, 19:49

Great work! Glad to see people giving white ALPS some love!

Orpheo

26 Sep 2016, 12:57

I love this compact layout! Very impressive restoration job! Must have been very time consuming!

Hypersphere

27 Sep 2016, 00:22

@keycap: Nice work! I have one of these boards. I was fortunate that it was in pristine condition and already had nice doubleshot caps. I like the compact form factor, but because I have become addicted to the HHKB layout, I don't like the layout on the MKB-84SX and it does not lend itself to remapping to a HHKB configuration. Nevertheless, I pull out the board and use it once in a while to enjoy the pleasant typing sound and feel.

One of my favorite features of the MKB-84SX is the small space bar!

ideus

29 Sep 2016, 19:26

If I not mistaken, those key caps are from a Focus 2001 keyboard, I had one some years ago and I loved the RGB legends on the modifiers.

maxrunner

04 Oct 2016, 14:33

i swapped one i have with complicated blue alps. Feels good.

Scarpia

19 Oct 2016, 20:47

@keycap: Beautiful restoration job! Thanks for sharing - how are you connecting it - did you need an adapter or did you replace the controller entirely?

I'm asking because I want one of these so bad -- I'd probably swap out the switches for something with a little more of that yummy Alps-y bite, maybe even blues like maxrunner just out of pure decadence. Just love the layout, it deserves the best.

Anyone interested in selling one?

keycap

09 Nov 2016, 18:09

I used a simple AT -> PS/2 converter, it's new enough to have the AT protocol.

Return to “Gallery”