IBM 5556 (Multistation) keyboard

alh84001
v.001

07 Nov 2016, 21:51

So, I got this keyboard about a month ago, but due to time constraints I only got to it this last weekend. I'm not sure which variant of the board this is, but I'm pretty sure it's either -003 or -004, and between those two, I'm leaning to -003. It's a later model with cylindrical PBT caps.

Initially i thought that it was in really bad condition, but after cleaning it I have to say it is actually pretty well preserved, especially the switch plate, and the switches are nice and smooth. I haven't been able to test the board with regular typing, since it won't cooperate nicely with Soarer's :(

Below are some pics. Unfortunately, I didn't take any while the board was open, so I'll add those later.

If you look closely, you'll see right leg (left in this pic) is broken :/

"F" and "J" keycaps are scooped a bit more I think. And there are bunch of legend color combinations. Also, I find it funny how all those keycaps are quite "noisy" with print, except those relatively big shift keys which only have arrows :)

There are all-black top- and front-printed legends on the left and modifiers, then there are regular legends

Y, H, I and K have blue front-printed legends. Also, "CAPS" :D

Then in top cluster, we have all-blue legends, then regular grey legends, and on the top right, we have keys with very light grey top-legends, and grey-blueish front-printed legends. that "FM" keycap looks more like those keycaps in the right cluster but without front-printed legend. I wonder if it was added as a replacement for missing "UF4" key, or if it is specific to this keyboard.

Those numpad operator keys have yet another color combo, wih regular grey and light grey (almost faint brownish) top-printed legends. Also, note all the arrows in the nav cluster!

Sorry for the shadow, but you get the idea.

So greeeen...

Plate is not perfect, but it's in pretty nice condition. Especially when compared to some other boards I got.

That's it for now.

chiptea

08 Nov 2016, 04:00

want want
wantwantwant
WANT

Mattr567

08 Nov 2016, 05:33

Nice man! Too bad the Multistation I got was completely destroyed (no case) and was in rough shape. Now restoring the switches. At least I got those nifty early spherical caps.

zslane

08 Nov 2016, 18:51

A Multistation without spherical keycaps? Bah.

Scottex

08 Nov 2016, 21:51

Oh god, those blue ALPS ;__;

alh84001
v.001

08 Nov 2016, 21:57

I know. Puny cilindracal PBT :)

And that is one dirty board/assembly. @Mattr567 did you manage to clean the switches?

Mattr567

10 Nov 2016, 23:34

Scottex wrote: Oh god, those blue ALPS ;__;
Dude you haven't seen nothing lol. Close up's. You can see some of the switches are stuck down from the filth.
alh84001 wrote: I know. Puny cilindracal PBT :)

And that is one dirty board/assembly. @Mattr567 did you manage to clean the switches?
With the Blues I have had success but they don't go down super smooth and bind a bit. With the SKCL Greens there in great condition but the top housings are in a bad way and cause excessive friction. Both are going to get ultrasonic cleaned by E3E. This should make the Blues perfect :) Hopefully the top housings of the Greens turn out good as well.

alh84001
v.001

11 Nov 2016, 01:15

Fingers crossed.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

11 Nov 2016, 09:43

Mattr567 wrote:
Scottex wrote: Oh god, those blue ALPS ;__;
Dude you haven't seen nothing lol. Close up's. You can see some of the switches are stuck down from the filth.
Ugh that's hardcore, still worth the effort with blue Alps though.

Laser
emacs -nw

11 Nov 2016, 09:53

Someone should really make a Deskthority banner with the lower part of this picture ...
Mattr567 wrote: Image

depletedvespene

13 Jan 2019, 12:20

Laser wrote:
11 Nov 2016, 09:53
Someone should really make a Deskthority banner with the lower part of this picture ...
Mattr567 wrote: Image
A necro of a dead keyboard's pic, just to show off the horror of this idea...
They're dead, Jim.
They're dead, Jim.
dt9.jpg (925.94 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
Ouch. :(

Return to “Gallery”