Lexmark mini collection

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Nov 2016, 06:02

I promised some Lexmark family shots a while back. I have the 6 main categories of Lexmark keyboards represented with these 5 keyboards:

1) Bog standard ~ M
2) TKL ~ SSK, M15
3) Ergonomic ~ M15
4) Split BS ~ M15, M13 E-E
5) Mouse alternative ~ M13 E-E
6) BIG ~ M122

Updated family photo (without the old M13 that lacks a split space bar):

T shirt:

Lexmark Model M, M13, SSK, M15

Lexmark Model M

Lexmark M13

Lexmark SSK

Lexmark M15

Please pardon the bad lighting. The table's location determined my shooting conditions. :|
Last edited by ohaimark on 24 Jun 2017, 08:11, edited 8 times in total.

Mattr567

21 Nov 2016, 06:31

Looks good! :)

Interesting to note the small difference between the case color of my old Model M and the M13.

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Nov 2016, 06:38

I think that Lexmark's M13 case is the most textured M case I've ever seen. It really has depth to its grain.

And yes, there's definitely a color difference. Whether it's a variation in plastic batches or sunbathing is beyond me. -shrugs-

y11971alex

21 Nov 2016, 06:58

Or is it time to rename your screen name ohailexmark? :P

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Nov 2016, 07:15

My screen name is part of the reason why I chose to collect Lexmark keyboards. That and their hot logo.

If I legitimately get every BS keyboard produced by Lexmark I'll consider changing my screen name. For now, though, ohaimark is fine.

E3E

21 Nov 2016, 08:22

I love when people set out with a singular goal in mind when it comes to collecting. I think I had one at one point. Maybe it was something like "hoard all the Xerox 6085 derivative keyboards" or something.

Darkshado

21 Nov 2016, 08:35

With regard to the Lexmark boards, what would be missing here?

an M5 trackball model?
anything else?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Nov 2016, 08:43

Impressive, the nicest Lexmark collection I have ever seen at DT! Of course when your "the Kingpin" I'm sure someone just brings you these in confidence...
1ejl0q.jpg
1ejl0q.jpg (45.11 KiB) Viewed 5527 times
Too bad we can't nominate any of these pictures for DTA6... :x

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Nov 2016, 08:56

Darkshado wrote: With regard to the Lexmark boards, what would be missing here?

an M5 trackball model?
anything else?
The only other Lexmark keyboards I'd want would be the M5-2 (trackball) and the split space bar Model M variant that Lexmark produced. I'm not desperate for either one as I have all of the main types covered (see OP), but those would be nice additions to the collection.

Lexmark made quite a few specialty products that weren't manufactured in great numbers, which is a pity.

Thanks, seebart. I wish it were that easy... I don't mind my ineligibility for the DTAs, at least not this year. Next year I plan to spend some quality time on my collection to get some artsy photographs that will work for banners and whatnot. At that point I might be a little salty about not being eligible, but the DTAs and our community (A.K.A. the mob) are more important than my personal gratification. It is what it is.

Edit:
On an unrelated note, the M13 has one piece caps.

HAL

21 Nov 2016, 22:51

very nice

Shihatsu

22 Nov 2016, 20:10

Wow, what a collection of beauties, and all of them in such a good shape! Impressive, indeed.

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 Nov 2016, 05:15

Thanks. :)

Tuntematon

23 Nov 2016, 18:47

You might have seen this already, new Lexmark French Canadian ISO Model M, only $50 on sale:

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/1369294

You've come this far, might as well collect 'em all!

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 Nov 2016, 19:46

Nah, I don't need an ISO version. There's no difference between the two besides a few keycaps and assemblies, more or less. I am a bit sad that so many showed up after I worked my ass off to hunt down a standard Lexmark M, though.

Now they're $48 shipped. :roll:

Tuntematon

23 Nov 2016, 20:03

I suppose it would get tedious and expensive to expand the criteria too much for your collection. First comes ISO, then all the different languages. What a mess.

ohaimark
Kingpin

23 Nov 2016, 20:10

Pretty soon I'll have the coolest linguistic variant covered with Cyrillic subbed Bulgarian M2 keycaps (which is, interestingly, in ANSI format). Those will go on my M15. 8-) I think that's as far as I'll go with other languages and layouts.

I regularly step back and think about what I actually need to represent a family of switches, brandings, etc.

That's in opposition to what I want. And, while this is strange to admit, I don't really covet beam springs because I don't like their layouts. Usability is an important part of collecting for me. If #XMIT makes a modern beam spring I'd buy in.
Attachments
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg (273.94 KiB) Viewed 5331 times

Tuntematon

23 Nov 2016, 21:01

My collecting philosophy is not quite as focused as yours, but it has naturally narrowed since I first started, when it was an "Oooo, what's that? Click. Buy." kind of thing. Rarity and switch type are major factors of course, but I don't mind having multiples of any type or category. It's still pretty much whatever catches my fancy, just more selective.

I haven't tried beam spring yet, I'd like to if I can find a board at the right price point. The layouts and ungainly form factors I think do disqualify them from achieving ultimate keyboard status, but then I haven't tried the switch. I might change my mind if it turns out to be a religious experience.

micrex22

06 Dec 2016, 07:59

ohaimark wrote: I think that Lexmark's M13 case is the most textured M case I've ever seen. It really has depth to its grain.

And yes, there's definitely a color difference. Whether it's a variation in plastic batches or sunbathing is beyond me. -shrugs-
The M13s used a different mold that was indeed very textured (same goes for the black M13s).

You'll need to add a Lexmark M4-1 to the collection ;)

ohaimark
Kingpin

07 Dec 2016, 00:53

If it wasn't rubber dome I would consider it. No need for anything other than buckling springs in this mini-collection.

ohaimark
Kingpin

24 Jun 2017, 08:08

Updated with new family shot (+M122, Split Space M13) and obligatory shirt pic.

JP!

25 Jun 2017, 01:17

I would love to get my hands on one of those M122's. Not too many of those terminal emulator keyboards around, especially with a nice Lexmark logo.

Return to “Gallery”