Round 6: The Cappening

Nuum

02 Feb 2017, 21:07

Nuum wrote: It's here! Now onto checking if everything is there and deciding on which board to put them for now! Pics will follow, hopefully soon.
There you go! On my Phantom for now, but I have a feeling they go better with a silver/white case.
DSCN4233 900kb.jpg
DSCN4233 900kb.jpg (892.03 KiB) Viewed 5964 times
DSCN4232 900kb.jpg
DSCN4232 900kb.jpg (885.85 KiB) Viewed 5964 times
DSCN4234 900kb.jpg
DSCN4234 900kb.jpg (889.02 KiB) Viewed 5964 times
Finally I have a use for the Hashbang from facetsesame, but I still need to find a place for the ducks from that same GB. Where is facetsesame, btw?
All sets I ordered are complete! Thanks 7bit!
Last edited by Nuum on 02 Feb 2017, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

zslane

02 Feb 2017, 21:44

Nuum wrote: On my Phantom for now, but I have a felling they go better with a silver/white case.
Yes, they look best with a white case, IMO.

Menuhin

02 Feb 2017, 23:34

Dang... they look great! :)

I bet they would also look really nice in a silvery grey / darker grey case.

zslane

02 Feb 2017, 23:46

Granted his keycaps don't have the Cadet legends, but still, it really ought to look as much like this as possible (hence the glory that is a white case):

Menuhin

02 Feb 2017, 23:49

A black case will also do you know... ;)
Spoiler:

zslane

03 Feb 2017, 00:16

Yeah, I've seen that photo before. I'm not sure which case was more typical for the actual Space Cadet keyboard back in the day, but to my eyes, a white case really makes these keycaps pop, whereas a black case just make them look sort of dull and lifeless (I've tried these Round 6 keycaps on both).

need

03 Feb 2017, 00:25

Black case makes the blue mods pop more though...

zslane

03 Feb 2017, 00:47

Not in real life. Have you seen the Round 6 BLUE caps on both a white and a black case in person? I have, and they pop more on a white case than a black one.

need

03 Feb 2017, 01:24

zslane wrote: Not in real life. Have you seen the Round 6 BLUE caps on both a white and a black case in person? I have, and they pop more on a white case than a black one.
No... only dreamed about them :cry:

Menuhin

03 Feb 2017, 12:38

zslane wrote: Yeah, I've seen that photo before. I'm not sure which case was more typical for the actual Space Cadet keyboard back in the day, but to my eyes, a white case really makes these keycaps pop, whereas a black case just make them look sort of dull and lifeless (I've tried these Round 6 keycaps on both).
I think this black case is one of the earlier prototypes which are also black in color, but later on, the white / beige / ivory cases has the "Symbolics" logo on it.

Menuhin

03 Feb 2017, 13:17

zslane wrote: Not in real life. Have you seen the Round 6 BLUE caps on both a white and a black case in person? I have, and they pop more on a white case than a black one.
Some of the leftover kits from 7bit arrived and I still think the Round 6 blue caps will look best on a grey / darker grey case. It's just personal taste you know, like the one above or even darker:

Only the earliest smaller productions of Lisp machines have the classic space cadet keyboards with the blue key caps.

Menuhin

03 Feb 2017, 13:32

Among many other special keys, one key deserves being mentioned is also the "SELECT" key present on all versions of Lisp machine keyboards, and which is provided on the Fun pad as a 1u Key on R3 in Round 6a.

This key has been discussed quite a bit and even John Wiegley has written a script specially to implement its function on Emacs:

http://tess.oconnor.cx/2002/07/the-select-key

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SelectKey

Nuum

04 Feb 2017, 12:29

Round 6 on my FaceU Replica, looks much better with a silver case.
DSCN4236 900kb.jpg
DSCN4236 900kb.jpg (887.44 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
DSCN4237 900kb.jpg
DSCN4237 900kb.jpg (863.63 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
DSCN4238 900kb.jpg
DSCN4238 900kb.jpg (877.02 KiB) Viewed 5852 times
DSCN4239 900kb.jpg
DSCN4239 900kb.jpg (884.8 KiB) Viewed 5852 times

Menuhin

04 Feb 2017, 15:35

Is the case made of steel? :geek:

This post makes me want to order yet another DT cap. :D

Nuum

04 Feb 2017, 16:38

Hah, no, it is already heavy enough being made out of Aluminium. I don't want to know what it would weight when it would be made from steel. It's one of those: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=28730.0

nowai

05 Feb 2017, 11:05

nothing special: my pok3r using US international layout. I picked up one of the HONEYG 60% modifier kits.

eddible

05 Feb 2017, 11:07

nowai wrote:nothing special: my pok3r using US international layout. I picked up one of the HONEYG 60% modifier kits.

This looks really, really nice! I wish there was a full set of blue modifiers in the leftovers. [LOUDLY CRYING FACE]

dorf

05 Feb 2017, 11:10

Nuum wrote: Round 6 on my FaceU Replica, looks much better with a silver case.
DSCN4236 900kb.jpg
DSCN4237 900kb.jpg
DSCN4238 900kb.jpg
DSCN4239 900kb.jpg
I'm a little bit jealous of that R4 1,75u shift. Very nice!

nowai

05 Feb 2017, 11:18

eddible wrote: This looks really, really nice! I wish there was a full set of blue modifiers in the leftovers. [LOUDLY CRYING FACE]
Yes, that's really unfortunate, I'd really like to populate a TKL with the cadet set. We should have thought about this 2 years ago. :P

eddible

05 Feb 2017, 11:20

nowai wrote:
eddible wrote: This looks really, really nice! I wish there was a full set of blue modifiers in the leftovers. [LOUDLY CRYING FACE]
Yes, that's really unfortunate, I'd really like to populate a TKL with the cadet set. We should have thought about this 2 years ago. :P
Ha tell me about it! I can't complain, I have a full set of violett caps, just waiting on the board to put them on before having a photo shoot.

Griffy

07 Feb 2017, 18:12

Just a quick pic. Im still waiting for some more keyes but I got enough so I can start using it.

They arent wobbly as they look, its my pototacam thats distorting the pic.

Pretty amazing since its made from last minute leftovers!
DSC_0678.JPG
DSC_0678.JPG (722.33 KiB) Viewed 5714 times
DSC_0679.JPG
DSC_0679.JPG (614.06 KiB) Viewed 5714 times
So better pics coming when I have:
* stepped caps key
* really made up my mind on what "f-key" goes where
* some more grey function keyes
* complete numpad with long 0, = and +-key.

Menuhin

07 Feb 2017, 18:17

GriffDeLaGriff wrote: ... from last minute leftovers!
DSC_0679.JPG
From last minute leftovers...? It's pretty amazing! :o

That "Rub-Out" key doesn't fit your numpad, please sell it to me..! :P :geek: :oops:

Griffy

07 Feb 2017, 18:20

You have a 1,5 "tab" to swap me and I`ll think about it.

Menuhin wrote:
GriffDeLaGriff wrote: ... from last minute leftovers!

From last minute leftovers...? It's pretty amazing! :o
Payed for them about a month ago so pretty last minute I would say, and to get INT/NORDE is like....amazing.

Menuhin

07 Feb 2017, 18:36

I will have a '1.5 Tab' BLUE in "foreseeable future", assuming I will survive till an age within 2 standard deviations of average life expectancy of people in my birth year... ;)
I have to say you made some really smart combinations in your last minute purchase, I wish I was that quick to make some interesting combinations. :D
Perhaps INT/NORDE can be paired with a Thor hammer R1 cap in the future.

Those who are getting the HONEYB/TKL/CADET and HONEYB/NUMPAD/CADET, please share some photos!
Spoiler:

zslane

07 Feb 2017, 18:43

Menuhin wrote: Those who are getting the HONEYB/TKL/CADET and HONEYB/NUMPAD/CADET, please share some photos!
See previous page.

Menuhin

07 Feb 2017, 18:57

zslane wrote:
Menuhin wrote: Those who are getting the HONEYB/TKL/CADET and HONEYB/NUMPAD/CADET, please share some photos!
See previous page.
Okay, I found some. And of course, icon CADET mods also count. :P

Griffy

07 Feb 2017, 19:02

The board is a brand new Winkeyless since it was the only one wich could deliver ISO in a forseeable future in TKL with clear switches (love). Black/frost/matte. Its got white leds and full RGB-led tho I dont think I will be using either very much other then when we put on music and drink beers and have it rotate colors.

The board is a tiny bit more flexible then I would have liked, but I dont think it will matter when typing, but still a little annoying. The alum plate is sold out so. Im thinking about getting a 60% one in white since I have secured "honeywell" caps for a 60% board in white, but is there any mod to make it wireless? Like a dongle of some sort?

Menuhin

07 Feb 2017, 19:18

GriffDeLaGriff wrote: ... for a 60% board in white, but is there any mod to make it wireless? Like a dongle of some sort?
I don't know about any universal mod, but this module from Gon supports bluetooth of Gon's PCB.
http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/pcbs-a ... -nerd.html

LeandreN will be importing some for their EU store in the 'foreseeable future'.

For me, it's also important to have it wired - in order to use it even for BIOS / before loading any Bluetooth driver.

lolpes

07 Feb 2017, 22:08

Finnally they are here!! Unfortunately I still need a 1.75 shift and steped caps lock but hopefully 7bit will have extra :P This wasn't the original board I planed to go with -> rookie mistake

Menuhin

07 Feb 2017, 22:47

Such a "rookie mistake" to get these caps :D
You've been a "rookie" long enough for sure.

I want to buy this high profile case from you if you may consider selling it some day, I'm serious, but no one likes hi-pro acrylic case. ;)
In my opinion, Round 6 caps go well with cases of grey color (darker or lighter) or its legend color, i.e. white or ivory.

Return to “Gallery”