Goodies from China

Mr.Nobody

09 Jan 2017, 00:17

scottc wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote:
Chyros wrote: Jesus Mary and Joseph, the goodies keep on coming, holy fuckballs! Oo

The Maxi thing is MAxi Switch dome with slider, btw.
How about come to China Chyros,we have plenty keyboards here for you to review,and you can make a million annually with your PhD. in Chemistry seriously.
A friend of mine (from Ireland) is actually moving to China this year. Not for Chemistry, but computer software. Quite uncommon but it sounds like it will be very interesting for him!
While computer software won't make a million easily, but PhD in chemistry, serious money...

Chyros

09 Jan 2017, 00:35

Mr.Nobody wrote: While computer software won't make a million easily, but PhD in chemistry, serious money...
For a million a year, I'd say hello China!

Mr.Nobody

09 Jan 2017, 02:52

Chyros wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote: While computer software won't make a million easily, but PhD in chemistry, serious money...
If you do come over, IMHO, Shanghai is more suitable than Beijing or Canton, because it's a profoundly westernized city in terms of cultural milieu, to live confortablly in beijing or Canton you have to become a Beijinger or Cantonese, these cities are rather difficult to blend in not only for foreigners but also for people from other regions of China, but in Shanghai ,just be yourself. BTW, Beijing is heavily polluted, I won't live there even if I am paid ten millions a year.

Mr.Nobody

09 Jan 2017, 02:56

On the other hand, if you are doing something art-related like you are a musician or movie director, beijing should be your primary choice, better career prospect for that sort of people there.

Chyros

09 Jan 2017, 03:17

Mr.Nobody wrote:
Chyros wrote:
If you do come over, IMHO, Shanghai is more suitable than Beijing or Canton, because it's a profoundly westernized city in terms of cultural milieu, to live confortablly in beijing or Canton you have to become a Beijinger or Cantonese, these cities are rather difficult to blend in not only for foreigners but also for people from other regions of China, but in Shanghai ,just be yourself. BTW, Beijing is heavily polluted, I won't live there even if I am paid ten millions a year.
I've been to both Beijing and Shanghai, though as a tourist. As a tourist, Beijing is much more attractive - I found Shanghai almost boring by comparison. But, as I always say, often places that are great to visit aren't great to live in, and vice versa xD .

Mr.Nobody

09 Jan 2017, 03:58

Exactly. I lived in Beijing for a year and in Guangzhou city for 4 and a half year, now I am living in the suburb of Shanghai(for almost 6 years up to now). During the first 3 years in Canton I found Cantonese are quite earthbound, they don't know or care much about art,culture nor politics, it seems all they care about is money-making, but then I found they are almost the least pretentious ostentatious folks I know,they are true and real, whatever they say they mean it, so if you hate phonies and posers and just want to live a simple peaceful life and love long summer, Guangzhou in fact is a rather good choice. Shanghai and Beijing is awashed with posers and phonies...

Ail

10 Jan 2017, 02:03

Hey, I cleaned those caps and swapped out the 4704 caps, for a combination of the ALPS board, and TeleVideo board:

Pretty happy with it. The light gray caps from the Televideo board all have some yellowing on the top. The dark gray look great, the white legends are a tinge yellow. Other than some smudges and scuffs from being damaged the ALPS board sphericals are very clean. The TeleVideo caps were also a very tight fit.

Mr.Nobody

10 Jan 2017, 03:12

@Ail

That's a piece of art man, gorgeous, how many sets of caps again?

Ail

10 Jan 2017, 03:35

Mr.Nobody wrote: @Ail

Three, the stock caps from the 4704, a set of sphericals from an old unidentified ALPS board, and a set of sphericals from a TeleVideo 950.

The two spherical sets I got from Taobao.

Mattr567

10 Jan 2017, 08:29

Ail wrote: Hey, I cleaned those caps and swapped out the 4704 caps, for a combination of the ALPS board, and TeleVideo board:

Pretty happy with it. The light gray caps from the Televideo board all have some yellowing on the top. The dark gray look great, the white legends are a tinge yellow. Other than some smudges and scuffs from being damaged the ALPS board sphericals are very clean. The TeleVideo caps were also a very tight fit.
That looks flippin fantastic.

Chyros

10 Jan 2017, 09:01

Mattr567 wrote:
Ail wrote: Hey, I cleaned those caps and swapped out the 4704 caps, for a combination of the ALPS board, and TeleVideo board:

That looks flippin fantastic.
I will mirror that sentiment. What a gorgeous board you've turned it into!

Menuhin

10 Jan 2017, 10:24

Ail wrote:

Three, the stock caps from the 4704, a set of sphericals from an old unidentified ALPS board, and a set of sphericals from a TeleVideo 950.

I've been thinking about getting one 4704 forever - this board is tempting me again. :oops:
How can one get it work with the modern computers?

Ail

10 Jan 2017, 11:56

Menuhin wrote:
Ail wrote:

I've been thinking about getting one 4704 forever - this board is tempting me again. :oops:
How can one get it work with the modern computers?
Hasu has a converter that you can buy from him on GeekHack. Alternatively you can bug Wodan about how he wired it up to a ProMicro. :mrgreen:

Ail

11 Jan 2017, 00:45

I bought a few more things recently, among others in the past, but here are two that arrived:

Switch collection, mostly ALPS, some NMB, a few things I have no clue, an NEC, Omron amber. I'm sure someone here could identify all of these. Quite frankly, the amber Omrons are one of my favorites in this bunch. I love the Hi-Tek white linears as well. Which makes me glad I also purchased:

ADDS 1010, it's 4p4c, hopefully I can convert that. I don't see why not if the 4p4c DolchPAC can be converted. If anyone here is familiar with it and knows for sure, let me know.

Chyros

11 Jan 2017, 00:53

A Gundam switch, where on earth did you get that one? Oo

Mr.Nobody

11 Jan 2017, 01:00

@chyros

Will this pic confirm the #38? BTW, are keycaps of this kind of switches compatible with Alps mount?

Mr.Nobody

11 Jan 2017, 01:29

#52 Fujitsu Peerless?NIB and link:
#53 A HP keyboard (samll size pics)and link:
Last edited by Mr.Nobody on 11 Jan 2017, 02:26, edited 2 times in total.

Ail

11 Jan 2017, 01:35

Chyros wrote: A Gundam switch, where on earth did you get that one? Oo
Is that the one to the way upper left? I see now that is one of the Hi-Teks!

All from the same buyer! He has a listing for a bunch of ALPS switches, so I contacted him on Alichat (Taobao Instant Messenging Client) and said I wanted one of every switch he has, and that's what I got for about $15.

Also found these:
Spoiler:
ALPS yellow? Nope, these are clicky.
Spoiler:
Maybe Amber/Taxi? Supposedly they were only made until 1988, and this board is dated 1994. Or maybe...
Spoiler:
Fulucks? I'm guessing these are a clone of the clicky Amber/Taxi ALPS. I am going to make sure they are two pin and reuse them on a project. The board is a Datatrans Electronics FB 6001.

Edit: These have some of the nicest pad printed caps I've seen. The BAE stem is broken though. :(

Mr.Nobody

11 Jan 2017, 02:26

#54 Datalux space save and link: #55 Yes there is...behold the ugliest keyboard ever
Spoiler:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1 ... 9676877672

Kinesis...if you insist on calling it a keyboard... Thank God Hitler is dead otherwise the designer might end up in a gas chamber.
#56 Chicony ELECTRONICS E8H5 I KKB-5161 and link:

subcat

11 Jan 2017, 02:30

Unfortunately that HP is rubber dome.

Ail

11 Jan 2017, 03:06

I would buy that Chicony right now, but $100.00 for amber Omrons, eh. I love the tactility, but not that much.

Mr.Nobody

11 Jan 2017, 03:59

#57 Another HP, no link
Spoiler:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 Jan 2017, 05:58

Mr.Nobody wrote: […] Kinesis...if you insist on calling it a keyboard... Thank God Hitler is dead otherwise the designer might end up in a gas chamber. […]

Are you just exploring new ways of annoying people,
or desperately fighting for attention,
or are you just a plain blockhead?

Mr.Nobody

11 Jan 2017, 09:02

kbdfr wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote: […] Kinesis...if you insist on calling it a keyboard... Thank God Hitler is dead otherwise the designer might end up in a gas chamber. […]

Are you just exploring new ways of annoying people,
or desperately fighting for attention,
or are you just a plain blockhead?
Do you have no sense of humour?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

11 Jan 2017, 09:11

Mr.Nobody wrote: Do you have no sense of humour?
I'm sure you love jokes about the Nanjing Massacre in China as well?

Is that something you say? "Wow your Cherry clones are so bad, I with the people who make them were killed in the Nanjing Massacre and their wifes and daughters gang raped" hahahaha high five anyone? hahaha genocide hahaha

y11971alex

11 Jan 2017, 09:51

IMO if a Chinese person has no reaction to the Nanking Massacre, he's a little too detached. Still, it doesn't excuse one from overreacting to it, or provoking one to overreact to it.

Daniel Beardsmore

11 Jan 2017, 09:51

Ail wrote: I bought a few more things recently, among others in the past, but here are two that arrived:

Switch collection, mostly ALPS, some NMB, a few things I have no clue, an NEC, Omron amber. I'm sure someone here could identify all of these.
I could write all of them out, but I guess you know most of them anyway. Let me know if you do need them all describing.

I see that you got the "sky blue" Alps integrated dome switch that I bought. Only, I never got one: I got the black one that you placed on its left, as the blue type was all sold out.

At the current going rates for some of these switches (which is more like $15 per switch in some cases), are you really saying that you got all of those switches for $15 in total? Many of those aren't even on sale anywhere that I've seen. You struck lucky, very lucky.

One of them seems to be a pine grey tactile SKCM switch, which I didn't know existed.

Ail

11 Jan 2017, 10:44

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
Ail wrote: I bought a few more things recently, among others in the past, but here are two that arrived:

Switch collection, mostly ALPS, some NMB, a few things I have no clue, an NEC, Omron amber. I'm sure someone here could identify all of these.
I could write all of them out, but I guess you know most of them anyway. Let me know if you do need them all describing.

I see that you got the "sky blue" Alps integrated dome switch that I bought. Only, I never got one: I got the black one that you placed on its left, as the blue type was all sold out.

At the current going rates for some of these switches (which is more like $15 per switch in some cases), are you really saying that you got all of those switches for $15 in total? Many of those aren't even on sale anywhere that I've seen. You struck lucky, very lucky.

One of them seems to be a pine grey tactile SKCM switch, which I didn't know existed.
Yep, that's correct! After shipping it appears it was slightly over $15, but the seller has now since updated the listing and here it is, with every switch I bought and the original set he had listed:

https://world.taobao.com/item/429775074 ... .N.197f905

I bought the bundle with keycaps as well, so it's even cheaper if you just buy the switches!

Wodan
ISO Advocate

11 Jan 2017, 10:55

y11971alex wrote: IMO if a Chinese person has no reaction to the Nanking Massacre, he's a little too detached. Still, it doesn't excuse one from overreacting to it, or provoking one to overreact to it.
Maybe you didn't get the context but he failed to understand why no one here is enjoying a holocaust joke.

What I said wasn't meant to provoke him, I was merely trying to translate his previous joke into his cultural context. What color is used for cynical remarks here?

Mr.Nobody

11 Jan 2017, 11:33

Don't tell me that you guys are the designers of Kinesis :D I posted 57 keyboards and you guys single out one joke out of 57 just to crusify me? Is it because of what I said in the Taihao thread and you want to spread the war zone over every thread posted by me? Well if you don't like my jokes you can just suck my Asian k.....keycaps... :D:D

Return to “Gallery”