Preliminaries of the terrible disappointment of the Burroughs TP110

y11971alex

01 Feb 2017, 21:46

I haven't cleaned this up yet, so more photos incoming. Due to tooling limitations, I am not able to separate the top case from the keyboard, which is tethered to the case with a grounding cable.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

01 Feb 2017, 21:49

I fail to see how a board with Micro Switch Hall Effect switches is ever a terrible disappointment!

Chyros

01 Feb 2017, 21:52

They look dirty. In my experience, these don't actually feel all that great when they're dirty.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

01 Feb 2017, 21:52

Quite a few of your keyboards seem to be a "terrible disappointment" to you?!? What are you expecting? Kind of makes me sad a little. If it makes you happier I'll buy this one from you.
Chyros wrote: They look dirty. In my experience, these don't actually feel all that great when they're dirty.
So what then they need to be cleaned! It's a 30+ year old keyboard! :x But you're right even Honeywell Hall Effect can feel semi-shitty. I have a a couple of extreme examples.

y11971alex

01 Feb 2017, 22:00

It's an echo of the new show that Clarkson, May, and Hammond are hosting ;)

Of course, since the board is still in the cleaning process, there's no telling how they originally or eventually feel. It's also why I put "preliminaries" on the title of the thread.

y11971alex

01 Feb 2017, 22:02

XMIT wrote: I fail to see how a board with Micro Switch Hall Effect switches is ever a terrible disappointment!
And also:

seebart

01 Feb 2017, 22:03

y11971alex wrote: It's an echo of the new show that Clarkson, May, and Hammond are hosting ;)
WOT? :? :?:
y11971alex wrote: Of course, since the board is still in the cleaning process, there's no telling how they originally or eventually feel. It's also why I put "preliminaries" on the title of the thread.
Sorry to break it to you but those switches cannot be opened, I'm not sure if ultrasonic cleaning will help.

y11971alex

01 Feb 2017, 22:04

seebart wrote:
y11971alex wrote: Of course, since the board is still in the cleaning process, there's no telling how they originally or eventually feel. It's also why I put "preliminaries" on the title of the thread.
Sorry to break it to you but those switches cannot be opened, I'm not sure if ultrasonic cleaning will help.
I'm thinking dishwasher. :geek:

seebart

01 Feb 2017, 22:08

Never tried it, at least not with Honeywell Hall Effect. Like I said the switch is sealed.

y11971alex

01 Feb 2017, 22:14

seebart wrote: Never tried it, at least not with Honeywell Hall Effect. Like I said the switch is sealed.
I'd be happy enough if this can be any kind of a contribution to the DT wiki :D

seebart

01 Feb 2017, 22:18

y11971alex wrote:
seebart wrote: Never tried it, at least not with Honeywell Hall Effect. Like I said the switch is sealed.
I'd be happy enough if this can be any kind of a contribution to the DT wiki :D
Absolutely. Just clean it up and take the following pics:

Straight on top view, bottom with label (serial) clearly readable, keycaps closeup is optional and internals if you can. Important are all the production numbers that you can see.

Thanks for your help! ;)

And show us that lock + key on the side!
Last edited by seebart on 01 Feb 2017, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

Slom

01 Feb 2017, 22:19

I put the switches in mine in a ultrasonic cleaner for a noticeable improvement. Lube is also supposed to help.

Chyros

02 Feb 2017, 00:26

seebart wrote:
y11971alex wrote: It's an echo of the new show that Clarkson, May, and Hammond are hosting ;)
You can, you can, and it does! ;D

Slom

02 Feb 2017, 07:35

Chyros wrote:
seebart wrote:
You can, you can, and it does! ;D
How can you open them? I tried for quite some time and failed.

seebart

02 Feb 2017, 09:14

Chyros wrote: You can, you can, and it does! ;D
Slom wrote:
Chyros wrote: How can you open them? I tried for quite some time and failed.
Oh I'm also quite curious to this end, do enlighten us Chyrosan22.
piq_143047_400x400.png
piq_143047_400x400.png (7.79 KiB) Viewed 4124 times

nourathar

02 Feb 2017, 11:00

aha, received that identical model quite recently !
But I have not yet had the chance to open it or even take a picture...

seebart

02 Feb 2017, 11:03

nourathar wrote: aha, received that identical model quite recently !
But I have not yet had the chance to open it or even take a picture...
Looking foreward to some pictures!

Chyros

02 Feb 2017, 14:33

seebart wrote:
Chyros wrote: You can, you can, and it does! ;D
Slom wrote:
Chyros wrote: How can you open them? I tried for quite some time and failed.
Oh I'm also quite curious to this end, do enlighten us Chyrosan22.
piq_143047_400x400.png
If you take the sensor out, the whole bottom of the switch is essentially open. You can't disassemble them further than that, but it's wide open enough to sonicate them with. I've done it myself, and it works!

Still, a more serviceable design would've been useful xD .

seebart

02 Feb 2017, 14:42

OK thanks for the info, I'll try that the next time I look at mine.

Harshmallow

02 Feb 2017, 16:43

On the topic of ultrasonic cleaners - can you guys recommend a good one to me? Perhaps one that can be bought on Amazon or in North America :)

Slom

02 Feb 2017, 21:11

pr0ximity

03 Feb 2017, 05:38

My Burroughs's hall-effects are quite dirty as well. It suffers from extremely smooth dead-on keypresses, but atrociously rough off-center presses. The caps are truly beautiful on these things, though.

How is the spacebar? Mine is particularly terrible, I suspect it has something to do with the metal-on-metal friction of the stabilizing mechanisms and perhaps some kind of residue (maybe from ancient lubricant?).

seebart

03 Feb 2017, 15:21

pr0ximity wrote: My Burroughs's hall-effects are quite dirty as well. It suffers from extremely smooth dead-on keypresses, but atrociously rough off-center presses. The caps are truly beautiful on these things, though.

How is the spacebar? Mine is particularly terrible, I suspect it has something to do with the metal-on-metal friction of the stabilizing mechanisms and perhaps some kind of residue (maybe from ancient lubricant?).
I remember that picture of your keycaps, did you ever post pics of the entire keyboard? If so link plz!

y11971alex

03 Feb 2017, 16:47

I just did some further investigation on the Burroughs keyboard, and it seems the enclosure cannot quite be removed without desoldering the switches from the board.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

03 Feb 2017, 20:54

I've got one of these at the house. I'll post photos if I ever manage to tear into it.

pr0ximity

07 Feb 2017, 15:54

seebart wrote:
pr0ximity wrote: My Burroughs's hall-effects are quite dirty as well. It suffers from extremely smooth dead-on keypresses, but atrociously rough off-center presses. The caps are truly beautiful on these things, though.

I remember that picture of your keycaps, did you ever post pics of the entire keyboard? If so link plz!
Indeed :D photos-f62/burroughs-td016-data-preparation-t13558.html

(I really need to get a lightbox...)

Return to “Gallery”