Realforce SSK (55g)

y11971alex

22 Feb 2017, 20:21

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Feb 2017, 21:49

Another * huge * disappointment y11971alex?!? What's your verdict? I own one of these and love it, but used to diss Topre quite a bit.

Hking0036

22 Feb 2017, 23:57

Weird subbing on the backspace, is that just a beige model thing? Mine is horizontal, yours is lined vertically. Either way, how are you feeling about it? It took me a day or two to get used to it and now I really like them.

seebart

23 Feb 2017, 09:11

Hking0036 wrote: Weird subbing on the backspace, is that just a beige model thing? Mine is horizontal, yours is lined vertically.
It's a "beige thing"...
Spoiler:
IMGP4240.JPG
IMGP4240.JPG (981 KiB) Viewed 5583 times

y11971alex

23 Feb 2017, 09:18

After 12 hours, here are my feelings about the Realforce SSK:
  • The switch is very smooth, but not quite as smooth as the 5251 next to me; nevertheless, the difference is too minute to notice while typing quickly.
  • The tactility is gradual and pleasant, exactly as advertised; compared to my BTC-5100C, the tactility is roughly on the same level but protracted through a longer travel.
  • At the bottom of key travel, the feel is mushy.

Topre Enthusiast

23 Feb 2017, 09:24

Hking0036 wrote: Weird subbing on the backspace, is that just a beige model thing? Mine is horizontal, yours is lined vertically. Either way, how are you feeling about it? It took me a day or two to get used to it and now I really like them.
You might have the EK edition with the red LEDs. Brian from EK had Topre fix the legends on the 'Enter' key and the 'Backspace' key for that specific model.

seebart

23 Feb 2017, 09:32

I don't really believe it's possible to compare Topre to Beamspring 1:1. I'd say the tactility is quite a bit more refined on Topre compared to either of my BTC's, where the BTC 5100 FF is actually nicer in tactility to me. I don't find any "mushy" feel at the bottom of key travel, but obviously it's normal for users to experience it differnetly. On long typing sessions I prefer the 45g of my FC660C to the 55g of my RF. If I ever get a full size Topre I'd have to go with 45g for productivity.

y11971alex

23 Feb 2017, 10:33

seebart wrote: I don't really believe it's possible to compare Topre to Beamspring 1:1. I'd say the tactility is quite a bit more refined on Topre compared to either of my BTC's, where the BTC 5100 FF is actually nicer in tactility to me. I don't find any "mushy" feel at the bottom of key travel, but obviously it's normal for users to experience it differnetly. On long typing sessions I prefer the 45g of my FC660C to the 55g of my RF. If I ever get a full size Topre I'd have to go with 45g for productivity.
You know, someone from the Toronto meet up on the 18th also told me that you can't compare Topre with beam springs. Now that it has been independently corroborated, I won't go down this avenue. :geek:

I would be hesitant to use the word "refined" to describe tactility, but it does seem a very thoughtfully contrived force curve. Still not as good as beam springs though.

seebart

23 Feb 2017, 10:37

y11971alex wrote: You know, someone from the Toronto meet up on the 18th also told me that you can't compare Topre with beam springs. Now that it has been independently corroborated, I won't go down this avenue. :geek:

I would be hesitant to use the word "refined" to describe tactility, but it does seem a very thoughtfully contrived force curve. Still not as good as beam springs though.
You should not listen too much to what others say...but one is 40 years old and clicky the other is a modern very expensive refined "rubber dome".

Still not as good as beam springs though.

Agreed. :mrgreen:

t!ng
Awake Sheep

23 Feb 2017, 12:24

This board in ISO-DE flavour and I would throw money at it.

Hking0036

23 Feb 2017, 13:29

002 wrote:
Hking0036 wrote: Weird subbing on the backspace, is that just a beige model thing? Mine is horizontal, yours is lined vertically. Either way, how are you feeling about it? It took me a day or two to get used to it and now I really like them.
You might have the EK edition with the red LEDs. Brian from EK had Topre fix the legends on the 'Enter' key and the 'Backspace' key for that specific model.
That would be it, I never knew.

fruitalgorithm

23 Feb 2017, 13:59

t!ng wrote: This board in ISO-DE flavour and I would throw money at it.
If like black as color, open your wallet http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/germ ... yboard.asp

Edit: it's not only black, it's also 45g instead of 55. So not the same board at all.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

23 Feb 2017, 14:04

I already own the black isoDE version. I want a white 55g :D

Touch_It

23 Feb 2017, 16:25

Some people see a RF keyboard. I see a Model AT F in the background :D

seebart

23 Feb 2017, 16:37

Touch_It wrote: Some people see a RF keyboard. I see a Model AT F in the background :D
Haha good one!

romevi

23 Feb 2017, 16:49

These are probably the best readily available boards--stock--right now, however.
I didn't like my Realforce the first time. Sold it after a month, but during that time without it I kept yearning for it again. I bought another and haven't considered otherwise since. I now compare every board I get to the Realforce, which probably isn't wise.

And stop calling it SSK! Nomenclature considers SSK as IBM boards, normally. 8-)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

24 Feb 2017, 00:48

seebart wrote: I don't really believe it's possible to compare Topre to Beamspring 1:1. I'd say the tactility is quite a bit more refined on Topre compared to either of my BTC's, where the BTC 5100 FF is actually nicer in tactility to me. I don't find any "mushy" feel at the bottom of key travel, but obviously it's normal for users to experience it differnetly. On long typing sessions I prefer the 45g of my FC660C to the 55g of my RF. If I ever get a full size Topre I'd have to go with 45g for productivity.
Agreed, it is an apples-to-oranges comparison. I prefer to use beamspring at home where annoying others is not an issue. But at work, I go with the Realforce because of noise and it doesn't look like this giant crazy vintage keyboard.

Topre Enthusiast

24 Feb 2017, 01:15

vivalarevolución wrote: Agreed, it is an apples-to-oranges comparison. I prefer to use beamspring at home where annoying others is not an issue. But at work, I go with the Realforce because of noise and it doesn't look like this giant crazy vintage keyboard.
Most of the development side of our office are using Realforces now and the support guys pop over from time to time and I've heard them say "what's with the vintage keyboards?". But I guess most of them are in their 20's, so they have a different idea of what vintage is :)

y11971alex

24 Feb 2017, 01:26

romevi wrote: And stop calling it SSK! Nomenclature considers SSK as IBM boards, normally. 8-)
What should I call this keyboard then? The SE08T0 is its model number on the label behind the board.

emdude
Model M Apologist

24 Feb 2017, 01:30

romevi wrote: These are probably the best readily available boards--stock--right now, however.
I didn't like my Realforce the first time. Sold it after a month, but during that time without it I kept yearning for it again. I bought another and haven't considered otherwise since. I now compare every board I get to the Realforce, which probably isn't wise.

And stop calling it SSK! Nomenclature considers SSK as IBM boards, normally. 8-)
I found this weird too. @y11971alex, I think people normally just call this the Realforce 87u. :)

y11971alex

24 Feb 2017, 01:55

emdude wrote:
romevi wrote: These are probably the best readily available boards--stock--right now, however.

I found this weird too. @y11971alex, I think people normally just call this the Realforce 87u. :)
But that is such an unexciting name. :|

alh84001
v.001

24 Feb 2017, 02:06

It needs to be differentiated from Realforce 86U :)

Topre Enthusiast

24 Feb 2017, 02:22

I like how they use the number of keys in the name because it tells you the layout and size:

86 / 87 / 101 / 103 / 104 = US
88 / 105 = EU
89 / 91 / 106 / 108 = JP

seebart

24 Feb 2017, 10:37

y11971alex wrote:
emdude wrote:

But that is such an unexciting name. :|
There is only one SSK y11971alex and it's far from any Topre.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

24 Feb 2017, 16:17

002 wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote: Agreed, it is an apples-to-oranges comparison. I prefer to use beamspring at home where annoying others is not an issue. But at work, I go with the Realforce because of noise and it doesn't look like this giant crazy vintage keyboard.
Most of the development side of our office are using Realforces now and the support guys pop over from time to time and I've heard them say "what's with the vintage keyboards?". But I guess most of them are in their 20's, so they have a different idea of what vintage is :)
To be fair, the design of the Realforce is vintage at this point. A reduction of the bezel size without a reduction in quality would be a welcome change, but Realforce is basically the only player in the the market of high end electrostatic capacitive keyboards, so what's the point in an update, really.

sth
2 girls 1 cuprubber

25 Feb 2017, 02:40

vivalarevolución wrote:
002 wrote:
To be fair, the design of the Realforce is vintage at this point. A reduction of the bezel size without a reduction in quality would be a welcome change, but Realforce is basically the only player in the the market of high end electrostatic capacitive keyboards, so what's the point in an update, really.
but i love that big bezel :x

y11971alex

25 Feb 2017, 02:51

For a keyboard dating to the '80s, the bezel isn't that obtrusive.

Topre Enthusiast

25 Feb 2017, 03:01

While Topre were making keyboards from mid 80s, the case design of the Realforce was likely devised some time in the mid 90s. I've never seen a Topre keyboard with the Realforce case design earlier than 1996, and even the 1996 example is up for debate.

y11971alex

25 Feb 2017, 22:01

After 3 days or so,
  1. I think the board is very pleasant to type on; it has few extreme characteristics and is a good compromise for people who want a tactile keyboard without the clicky sound. It is a very well-rounded switch.
  2. It is not the smoothest, most tactile, most solid, or most silent keyboard available, but it may be one that combines the ergonomics of a modern keyboard with a decent level of these characteristics in a reasonable chassis.
  3. Some of the switches seem to be making a very faint clicky noise at the release of the button.

Orpheo

26 Feb 2017, 04:42

If you don't want to learn about all the keyboards stuff and whatnots, just want to buy a new keyboard out there without looking like a gamers goth then yeah, the realforce is a safe bet, and you can spend your time doing other things that researching this crucial matter that keyboards are Hehe!

Return to “Gallery”