f***ing blue alps, man... (acer kb-101a review)

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

19 Mar 2017, 06:45

Harshmallow wrote:
//gainsborough wrote: I often just sit at my chair or at the foot of my bed with one of em (not even plugged in sometimes) and constantly repeat ;asdfkj;alsdkjf;alskdjf over and over ...
Me too, man... me too.

Chyros

19 Mar 2017, 13:32

y11971alex wrote:
Chyros wrote:
y11971alex wrote: [...]but they're not outstanding in any particular way. This makes Blue Alps keyboards great keyboards, even if the switches don't have an edge over some others.
I disagree - the sound! :D
My secret experience with the sound of Blue Alps seems to have something to do with the feet. The sound of the DC-2014 as I remember it (I have since sold it) was far more baritone if it was flush against my desk. If the feet were extended, they still sounded quite good, but nowhere as deep. It would be a great thing if anyone with Blue Alps on hand could test if the sound varies according to the position of the keyboard feet.
I've found extending the feet or not doing so influences the sound of most keyboard designs and switches, to be honest. The "desk-punching" characteristic of blue Alps might exacerbate this effect a bit, though. I hope to be able to demonstrate this sometime.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

19 Mar 2017, 16:18

Chyros wrote: My secret experience with the sound of Blue Alps seems to have something to do with the feet. The sound of the DC-2014 as I remember it (I have since sold it) was far more baritone if it was flush against my desk. If the feet were extended, they still sounded quite good, but nowhere as deep. It would be a great thing if anyone with Blue Alps on hand could test if the sound varies according to the position of the keyboard feet.I've found extending the feet or not doing so influences the sound of most keyboard designs and switches, to be honest. The "desk-punching" characteristic of blue Alps might exacerbate this effect a bit, though. I hope to be able to demonstrate this sometime.
Yes very true, I used to think I was imagining it when it's actually noticeable in sound with my Focus FK-2002. It's not a huge difference but definitely present. Coincidentally I was using a Monterey K-104 with white Alps at a friends house on a massive marble table recetnly, quite an interesting experience believe me. The while SKCM's seemed louder and sharper to me in sound. Too bad I can't repeat that test at home.

Lynx_Carpathica

20 Mar 2017, 12:48

You're F***ing lucky.
I Hope I'll be able to find a kb with them. I'm optimistic. Yet. :mrgreen:

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

20 Mar 2017, 16:54

Lynx_Carpathica wrote: You're F***ing lucky.
Chase it long enough and you will =)

Wingklip

22 Mar 2017, 02:03

Lynx_Carpathica wrote: You're F***ing lucky.
I can sell you one provided the guy who's currently interested RN on geekhack pulls out

Tuntematon

22 Mar 2017, 02:55

Looks like the blue Alps hype is peaking again after a period of relative calm. You aren't helping //gainsborough! Enjoy the board :D

cumwagondeluxe

22 Mar 2017, 03:44

Your thread is what pushed me over the edge in regards to buying Mattr's T9102 - $391 total to get it shipped up here, but god damn I'm sick of not having these switches and who knows when or if I'll ever find NOS blue alps so fuck it. Can't wait for it to arrive - I'll probably make a video or two as well and try to get some good feet extended vs. flat keeb audio.

taylorswiftttttt

22 Mar 2017, 03:55

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

22 Mar 2017, 05:56

cumwagondeluxe wrote: Your thread is what pushed me over the edge in regards to buying Mattr's T9102 - $391 total to get it shipped up here, but god damn I'm sick of not having these switches and who knows when or if I'll ever find NOS blue alps so fuck it. Can't wait for it to arrive - I'll probably make a video or two as well and try to get some good feet extended vs. flat keeb audio.
In hindsight I wish I would have gone your route - the "save up and wait until a clean board comes along" route. It's a lot of money, for sure, but at the end of the day if it's worth it to you, and if you have the money to do it, I don't think there's any shame in buying nice things - especially with this hobby. I'm happy my thread is what pushed you to do it - I'm gonna take partial credit for helping you get you're board (kidding, haha).

Congrats man - you got a badass board from Matt. Sturdy metal backplate, ANSI layout, and (maybe most importantly) PRISTINE! I'm definitely holding you to your word with the video =)

Mattr567

22 Mar 2017, 06:14

//gainsborough wrote: In hindsight I wish I would have gone your route - the "save up and wait until a clean board comes along" route. It's a lot of money, for sure, but at the end of the day if it's worth it to you, and if you have the money to do it, I don't think there's any shame in buying nice things - especially with this hobby. I'm happy my thread is what pushed you to do it - I'm gonna take partial credit for helping you get you're board (kidding, haha).

Congrats man - you got a badass board from Matt. Sturdy metal backplate, ANSI layout, and (maybe most importantly) PRISTINE! I'm definitely holding you to your word with the video =)
Yea, it's a great board going to a good home :)

I should do a typing test of my SKCM Amber V60. Amber's are very similar feeling (same non-clunky slick action compared to Whites but just a little more tactile). That's how I was able to let go of my T9102. I wouldn't be able to live without a first gen clicky Alps board lol.

Thinking about it, it's a way to get Blue's without having to go through all the hype crap, although not the complete same. I would call Blue's an overall more balanced switch for sure. They pair amazingly with Alps Electric spherical caps I got from a Canon typewriter though.

Chyros

22 Mar 2017, 08:05

cumwagondeluxe wrote: Your thread is what pushed me over the edge in regards to buying Mattr's T9102 - $391 total to get it shipped up here, but god damn I'm sick of not having these switches and who knows when or if I'll ever find NOS blue alps so fuck it. Can't wait for it to arrive - I'll probably make a video or two as well and try to get some good feet extended vs. flat keeb audio.
Be sure to let us know what you think of it :) .

seebart

22 Mar 2017, 08:10

cumwagondeluxe wrote: $391 total to get it shipped up here...
:o :shock:

Hypersphere

22 Mar 2017, 15:11

@//gainsborough:

Dang! I shouldn't have given up so easily. This is not my usual style. I can only speculate that you were destined to own the Acer KB-101A. Glad to see that you are deriving so much satisfaction from it!

Harshmallow

22 Mar 2017, 16:41

I'm glad both of you finally got your blue alps boards - I was getting tired of seeing you guys missing out on the action haha. Especially glad more rare blue alps boards are moving up to Canada :) I shall find one soon I think.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

22 Mar 2017, 17:50

Hypersphere wrote: @//gainsborough:

Dang! I shouldn't have given up so easily. This is not my usual style. I can only speculate that you were destined to own the Acer KB-101A. Glad to see that you are deriving so much satisfaction from it!
Thanks, Hypersphere! I'm very happy with it!
Harshmallow wrote: I'm glad both of you finally got your blue alps boards - I was getting tired of seeing you guys missing out on the action haha. Especially glad more rare blue alps boards are moving up to Canada :) I shall find one soon I think.
The time is nigh! I feel like you have been part of our vocal trio in the G/I finds thread, tirelessly searching for blue alps. We are 2/3 done, I won't be fully happy until you find yours!

Mattr567

23 Mar 2017, 01:00

seebart wrote:
Not sure if this is right but did you think it was $391 in shipping? :lol: $391 including cost of board and shipping.

NOS KB101A's have sold for $400...I knew I couldn't get that much plus I needed it gone in a timely manner to get in the early bird round for Model F's. Don't wanna have to wait until the end of 2017 to get it :shock:

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

23 Mar 2017, 03:11

Tuntematon wrote: Looks like the blue Alps hype is peaking again after a period of relative calm. You aren't helping //gainsborough! Enjoy the board :D
>_<

I have always secretly blamed Chyros. :lol:

cumwagondeluxe

23 Mar 2017, 05:01

seebart wrote: :o :shock:
Haha, I figured while a better deal lucky find *could* come up, these were gauranteed to be the real deal + the money is going to a good cause. Plus, I've spent similar amounts for a kustom and e.g. the M65 so I just kinda justified it to myself as another "custom" purchase.
Harshmallow wrote:
I'm glad both of you finally got your blue alps boards - I was getting tired of seeing you guys missing out on the action haha. Especially glad more rare blue alps boards are moving up to Canada :) I shall find one soon I think.
I believe in you buddy! They come up fairly often, and even recently there was that pretty clean K9AX that went for $330 because someone went crazy with hype/was trolling and when it got relisted (once or twice iirc) finally sold for like $110 so I wouldn't worry much about some dummies buying completely trashed taobao ones for $150.

//gainsborough wrote: The time is nigh! I feel like you have been part of our vocal trio in the G/I finds thread, tirelessly searching for blue alps. We are 2/3 done, I won't be fully happy until you find yours!
Then we can flood the summer Toronto keeb meetup with tasty, tasty alps and make everyone look bad :^)

seebart

23 Mar 2017, 06:54

Mattr567 wrote:
seebart wrote:
Not sure if this is right but did you think it was $391 in shipping? :lol: $391 including cost of board and shipping.

NOS KB101A's have sold for $400...I knew I couldn't get that much plus I needed it gone in a timely manner to get in the early bird round for Model F's. Don't wanna have to wait until the end of 2017 to get it :shock:
No I did understand $391 was the total including shipping. ;) I'd say that's a pretty "solid" price altogether, but that's not for me to say. We've talked about the hype more than enough, people want it people will pay for it. I just hope everyone gets what they want and pay for. We really should have several Alps experts (I'm not one) do a direct side by side comparison of clean complicated white SKCM and blue SKCM.
cumwagondeluxe wrote:
seebart wrote: :o :shock:
Haha, I figured while a better deal lucky find *could* come up, these were gauranteed to be the real deal + the money is going to a good cause. Plus, I've spent similar amounts for a kustom and e.g. the M65 so I just kinda justified it to myself as another "custom" purchase.
Keep us updated!

Chyros

23 Mar 2017, 12:28

//gainsborough wrote:
Tuntematon wrote: Looks like the blue Alps hype is peaking again after a period of relative calm. You aren't helping //gainsborough! Enjoy the board :D
>_<

It probably doesn't help I keep taking the Acer to meetups for people to try xD .

Hypersphere

23 Mar 2017, 14:10

Chyros wrote:
//gainsborough wrote:
>_<

It probably doesn't help I keep taking the Acer to meetups for people to try xD .
It does help -- to enable us to have impossibly high standards! ;)

Mr.Nobody

26 Mar 2017, 05:48

Here is mine, I got it for less than 30 US$ from TaoBao, I don't know if it falls into the category of "Taobao trash", but I believe if I list it on ebay, some "dummy" will be willing to pay me $200 for it.No discount, No, you can't despise Taobao and enjoy a discount at the same time.

Last edited by Mr.Nobody on 26 Mar 2017, 13:00, edited 2 times in total.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

26 Mar 2017, 08:04

Yeah I'd say that's a pretty good deal, hahaha! What model is that? It looks chicony-y.

Wingklip

26 Mar 2017, 09:40

Mr.Nobody wrote: Here is mine, I got it for less than 30US$ from TaoBao, I don't know if it falls into the category of "Taobao trash", but I believe if I list it on ebay, some "dummy" will be willing to pay me $200 for it.No discount, No, you can't despise Taobao and enjoy a discount at the same time.
Shhhhh don't tell them the secret of where we get all the goods we upsell ;)

Mr.Nobody

26 Mar 2017, 12:58

@//gainsborough
You have a good eye, it's a Chicony 5161
Spoiler:
@Wingklip
You are right, let's cover the purchase price up... ;)

Wingklip

29 Mar 2017, 06:54

Mr.Nobody wrote: @//gainsborough
Spoiler:
@Wingklip
Cover up? What cover up? Surely you don't think I'm selling it for more than what I bought it for?

Mr.Nobody

31 Mar 2017, 08:13

Wingklip wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote: @//gainsborough
Spoiler:
@Wingklip
Cover up? What cover up? Surely you don't think I'm selling it for more than what I bought it for?
To DT members,not profit, to Ebay buyers, hope the price could be high as it can be. ;)

seebart

31 Mar 2017, 08:35

Mr.Nobody wrote: To DT members,not profit, to Ebay buyers, hope the price could be high as it can be. ;)
Respect!

Wingklip

31 Mar 2017, 13:31

seebart wrote:
Mr.Nobody wrote: To DT members,not profit, to Ebay buyers, hope the price could be high as it can be. ;)
Respect!
ecsdididididididididididididdidi

Return to “Gallery”