ideus

27 Jul 2017, 07:11

It needs a cleaning service ASAP.

Touch_It

27 Jul 2017, 17:08

shame that case is abs. How old is it?

subcat

27 Jul 2017, 17:21

Touch_It wrote: shame that case is abs. How old is it?
Looks like it was produced June 2004.

wobbled

27 Jul 2017, 17:22

Touch_It wrote: shame that case is abs. How old is it?
Date on the back shows 2004

Touch_It

27 Jul 2017, 17:23

:oops: Clearly I can't read. Thanks for being nice about telling me :D

wobbled

27 Jul 2017, 17:25

In the process of doing a trade for this keyboard so I'll update the thread with pictures of when it is clean!

zzuper

27 Jul 2017, 17:40

It was a part of me once guys.. Only pieces of my dead skin left now. -____-
Soon all physical evidence will be lost! *tear roll*

wobbled

27 Jul 2017, 17:45

Oh jeez that really puts me off cleaning it LOL, might have to get the pressure washer out and hope it survives!

arkanoid

27 Jul 2017, 18:05

Is there a reason to get pro1 instead of pro2?
I heard major differences are missing usb hub, which makes it usable with iPad or something, and slightly heavier key pressure. I think I can locate a local guy who's selling pro1, but not sure if I want to buy it. I also heard rubberdome gets harder as it ages.

wobbled

27 Jul 2017, 18:34

arkanoid wrote: Is there a reason to get pro1 instead of pro2?
I heard major differences are missing usb hub, which makes it usable with iPad or something, and slightly heavier key pressure. I think I can locate a local guy who's selling pro1, but not sure if I want to buy it. I also heard rubberdome gets harder as it ages.
I just love older boards to be honest, I enjoy cleaning, restoring, and modding them. Others may prefer the hhkb 1 because it draws less power which is why it's compatible with ipads. Also the lack of a usb hub makes it look a lot more minimal. I personally like stiffer key switches so that's another plus for me. If you get the chance to pick one up for cheap I say go for it.

DerpyDash_xAD

27 Jul 2017, 21:02

Also the pro's drivers gave me trouble on install, I had to burn the windows default drivers and jump various hoops to get it working.

wobbled

27 Jul 2017, 22:21

DerpyDash_xAD wrote: Also the pro's drivers gave me trouble on install, I had to burn the windows default drivers and jump various hoops to get it working.
Never experienced this issue before, did this happen on every machine you connected the pro 2 to or just one?

DerpyDash_xAD

27 Jul 2017, 22:38

wobbled wrote:
DerpyDash_xAD wrote: Also the pro's drivers gave me trouble on install, I had to burn the windows default drivers and jump various hoops to get it working.
Never experienced this issue before, did this happen on every machine you connected the pro 2 to or just one?
Just the one, but I will caveat that by saying it was a brand spanking new win 10 install, installed mobo drivers and then the hhkb. However, it was a USB 3 hole as my pc only comes with USB3.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

wobbled

27 Jul 2017, 22:41

DerpyDash_xAD wrote:
wobbled wrote:
Just the one, but I will caveat that by saying it was a brand spanking new win 10 install, installed mobo drivers and then the hhkb. However, it was a USB 3 hole as my pc only comes with USB3.

That's probably why, my MX Master gets really upset when I use it on a usb 3 socket so maybe the hhkb is the same? I have so many extension leads and usb hubs under my desk I forget how everything is connected.

DerpyDash_xAD

27 Jul 2017, 23:48

Yeh, it would be fine if my mobo or case had USB 2 but both are 3 only

Myoth

28 Jul 2017, 17:29

Why is it that, recently, everyone wants a Pro 1 ? is there any difference from the Pro 2 or it's just for the feeling of having the OG ?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Jul 2017, 17:33

Myoth wrote: Why is it that, recently, everyone wants a Pro 1 ? is there any difference from the Pro 2 or it's just for the feeling of having the OG ?
No idea, all those people need to try this:

wiki/Leopold_FC660C

Khers

28 Jul 2017, 17:50

Myoth wrote: Why is it that, recently, everyone wants a Pro 1 ? is there any difference from the Pro 2 or it's just for the feeling of having the OG ?
It's specifically the Pro 1 Rev. A0 that's sought after due to some rumors that it would feel better. Some people prefer the lack of a USB-hub in the Pro 1.

seebart

28 Jul 2017, 17:52

Khers wrote:
It's specifically the Pro 1 Rev. A0 that's sought after due to some rumors that it would feel better. Some people prefer the lack of a USB-hub in the Pro 1.
All that effort for rumors... :o :lol:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

28 Jul 2017, 18:10

seebart wrote: All that effort for rumors... :o :lol:
Welcome to this hobby :lol:

seebart

28 Jul 2017, 18:17

Wodan wrote:
seebart wrote: All that effort for rumors... :o :lol:
Welcome to this hobby :lol:
As you know I've been in this hobby a bit longer... :lol: Which is exactly why I know this. :mrgreen: The question is is as always: it worth it?

Myoth

28 Jul 2017, 18:24

Khers wrote:
rumors that it would feel better
are those true though ? :lol:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

28 Jul 2017, 18:30

Myoth wrote:
Khers wrote:
Yes ... i recommend rather looking for a nice Pro1A1 used than getting an expensive brand new HHKB
Spoiler:

seebart

28 Jul 2017, 18:31

Myoth wrote:
Khers wrote:
Exactly?!
Wodan wrote: Yes ... i recommend rather looking for a nice Pro1A1 used than getting an expensive brand new HHKB
That makes the HHKB even more pathetic then. I mean it's not like it's a model M that got shittier over the production span.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

28 Jul 2017, 18:35

I don't see a disadvantage using a Pro1A1 since they are usually even cheaper than brand new ones ...

And they still feel awesome after more than 10 years ...

Someone's grumpy :lol:

seebart

28 Jul 2017, 18:38

Wodan wrote: Someone's grumpy :lol:
Not one bit. ;) :mrgreen: Of course there is no disadvantage, but one would figure that PFU improves the overall quality with every generation, especially in this price range.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

28 Jul 2017, 18:45

To "improve" quality is just a well intended change. If you personally consider this change to be an improvement is your choice ;)

And materials like the rubber mat used for the tactility can hardly be made from identical materials for more than a decade. Just look at Cherry MX switches ... technically identical switches for almost 35 years and there is SO much magic in the different generations of the various switch types that's almost invisible to the human eye

seebart

28 Jul 2017, 19:50

Wodan wrote: To "improve" quality is just a well intended change. If you personally consider this change to be an improvement is your choice ;)
It's always possible to see anything and it's meaning more abstract making it "relative". Pretty silly.
Wodan wrote: And materials like the rubber mat used for the tactility can hardly be made from identical materials for more than a decade. Just look at Cherry MX switches ... technically identical switches for almost 35 years and there is SO much magic in the different generations of the various switch types that's almost invisible to the human eye
Of course that HHKB is not 35 years old, I'd say it's very much possible to use quite similair materials in that timeframe.

Return to “Gallery”