Wyse ASCII 60

SeanTNT

03 Aug 2017, 07:38

Several weeks ago I found out that someone was selling an old WYSE 60 terminals for 375 USD :o. I was really only interested in the keyboard so I waited and waited then I gave an offer of 37 USD shipped to me. Now I know that's not the best price for this keyboard but I live in New Zealand so old mechanical keyboards are usually very difficult to find. However it was the most dirty keyboard I have ever bought
Another angle of the dirty keyboard
IT'S AN INVASION OF DUST BUNNIES ARRGGGHHHHHHHHH. RUN AWAY THERE ARE EVERYWHERE
Crisis averted or is it diverted?. I don't understand English man. So apparently this keyboard was made around 1986-1990s. Oddly enough the PCB had an inprint of 1985 which should be incorrect since the Wyse 60 was introduced in April 1986. Basically I'm confused as to when this keyboard was made.
By the time I finish cleaning it was starting to get dark outside eventhough it was only 4PM. TY New Zealand as you can tell I'm not from this country so it still weird to me. Keycaps are made ABS Doubleshot by Signature Plastics of all people. Keyswitches are MX vintage Black.
Overall the keyboard is built pretty study and comes in an interesting colour for it time but hey it's not vomit beige so that's a plus. It reminds me of the SGI Granite for some reasons. Eventhough I'm not the biggest fan of linear switches and ABS keycaps but these are pretty darn good. Still not good enough for me to use it as a daily driver though. The RJ10 connector is rather odd but I'm sure most terminal keyboards are rather odd.

Findecanor

03 Aug 2017, 08:29

I looks like it cleaned up nicely.
There is a converter firmware that might work.

I think the 1985 date on the PCB tells when it was designed rather than when it was manufactured.
Sometimes there can be manufacturing dates elsewhere, such as in the inside of the plastic shell. Often a dial with arrows pointing to the year and month.
SeanTNT wrote: Keycaps are made ABS Doubleshot by Signature Plastics of all people.
Hmm.. I thought it was another company at that time, before Signature Plastics. Then SP bought the moulds...
Or does that apply only to the early thicker keycaps?
Anybody know the details? If so, then the Wiki should be updated.

SeanTNT

03 Aug 2017, 09:03

Findecanor wrote: Hmm.. I thought it was another company at that time, before Signature Plastics. Then SP bought the moulds...
Or does that apply only to the early thicker keycaps?
Anybody know the details? If so, then the Wiki should be updated.
I believe that only apply to the early thicker keycaps version. Then SP bought the moulds then for made the keycaps thinner for reasons(probably economical)

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

03 Aug 2017, 09:05

Nice compact keyboard, did someone know if this keyboard exist also in ISO layout?

Return to “Gallery”