Commodore CDTV keyboard (Mitsumi KKQ-E94YC)

snuci
Vintage computer guy

17 Aug 2017, 15:45

Posted in the wiki, here's some internal pics of the Commodore CDTV keyboard. It's a variation of the Mitsumi KKQ-E94YC but the internal protocols are different. I have a picture of the Commodore CDTV and Amiga 4000 keyboards below. This keyboard uses the Mitsumi Hybrid switch with tactile rubber sleeves.

Here are some pics that are in the Wiki page.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

17 Aug 2017, 18:20

Thanks for the photo, very nice!

The Mitsumi hybrid switch is one of my all time least favorites. It just feels like garbage, and shows up all the time in the Apple Keyboard II. The rubber sleeves are disappointing and the bottom out is just super mushy.

Findecanor

17 Aug 2017, 19:22

Really good pictures!

I added the Wiki article to Category:Commodore keyboards. Should there be an Amiga category also?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

17 Aug 2017, 22:13

XMIT wrote: The Mitsumi hybrid switch is one of my all time least favorites. It just feels like garbage, and shows up all the time in the Apple Keyboard II. The rubber sleeves are disappointing and the bottom out is just super mushy.
I guess you wouldn't like this one either :) This keyboard reminds me of the other.
Spoiler:
I am fortunate enough to have a Macintosh TV too. They are hard to come by.
Macintosh TV keyboard
Macintosh TV keyboard
Macintosh TV keyboard.JPG (265.01 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
Macintosh TV - Mitsumi hybrid key switch
Macintosh TV - Mitsumi hybrid key switch
Macintosh TV - key switch.JPG (370.26 KiB) Viewed 2543 times

Daniel Beardsmore

17 Aug 2017, 23:03

Eek.

The thing is, with rubber dome keyboards, they may have felt much nicer new. I ended up with a PowerBook 150 with keys that were almost impossible to press that surely wasn't like that when it was new, yet in other keyboards the rubber goes all soggy (even to the extent that you can't feel your fingers any more). Sometimes the rubber seems to hold up OK.

The grey vs clear rubber sheets may have something to do with that.

czarek

18 Aug 2017, 15:41

I actually quite like buckling rubber version of this switch. Linears (same switch but with spring instead of rubber) are really awful though.

But yeah my CDTV keyboard was brand new when I got it. There is a video of me typing on it few years ago:
https://youtu.be/Qd9_UMNMhcA

Return to “Gallery”