A Tale of Two Cherries (Honeywell G80-0528 and 0577)

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Aug 2017, 02:18

Well, I now have 2 more interesting boards that are sparsely documented. Here they are!

Alrighty. lets get started with the G80-0528!

The real PN for this board is not G80-0528, but 0689H. However, due to the more common branded boards being numbered as such I chose to call it that. Cherry's numbering scheme was all kinds of stupid back in the day. This particular board was an ebay score awhile back, and when I got it it wasn't in the best of shape. very dirty and the cable was super stretched. I think it cleaned up nicely, but it has its flaws.

Let this be a reminder to you. NEVER WRAP CABLES AROUND KEYBOARDS! The cable caused irreversible bleaching to the top case of the keyboard. this board has been retrobrited, and this is the result.

Super smooth vintage blacks with integrated diodes for NKRO. This board has the "NCR" colorway OG cherry doubleshot keycaps, with the soft grey legends on light grey caps. beautiful.

The back, illustrating the 2 tone grey and white case. I had to replace the cable on this board due to all of the coils being stretched and it being in terrible condition. I also might as well mention that it is AT/XT switchable. I believe this replacement cable came from another G80, but I cannot be sure.

Next up is the G80-0577!

This board not only shares the Honeywell branding with the 0528 above, but many other factors as well. These guys are practically twins! This board also shares the strange numbering system as the 0528/0689h. This board is more commonly seen numbered G80-0577 in its other flavors, but this honeywell branded one has the number G80-0729. I got this one off of someone on reddit. It was also pretty filthy and yellowed. I think this one ended up pretty nice as well. So... lets get on with the pics!

After alot of cleaning and retrobrite.

More beautiful NCR style keycaps and super smooth vintage blacks with diodes. On another note, this board has red lock LEDs, which in my opinion looks fucking awesome!

Unfortunately the label on this board got destroyed during the retrobrite process. too bad. This keyboard uses XT protocol. Another cool note about the back is that it is the same as the one that comes on the G80-0528/0689H. Someone stole the feet off the back of this one! Good thing I never use them!

In conclusion, these are some pretty cool G80s in my opinion. The honeywell branding is quite cool for me as neither of these boards in this branding are documented particularly. I will be adding both of these boards to the wiki very soon.

taylorswiftttttt

21 Aug 2017, 02:50

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

Shihatsu

21 Aug 2017, 09:33

taylorswiftttttt wrote: swap zealios into them
Are you a perv?

y11971alex

21 Aug 2017, 16:28

that honeywell is bull as far as switch type is concerned.

Puree

21 Aug 2017, 16:53

:mrgreen:

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Aug 2017, 18:58

y11971alex wrote: that honeywell is bull as far as switch type is concerned.
stop denying the facts that vintage blacks are the best switch ever ;P

Menuhin

21 Aug 2017, 19:06

What formula and proportion of ingredients did you use as retrobright?

Interesting to see these real Honeywell models with quite different color theme (more like NCR) from the Honeywell keycaps group buys recently. Also the top row Function keys start from F11 and then arbitrarily end at F30, and the End key above the up arrow and the Home key.

y11971alex

21 Aug 2017, 19:08

mike52787 wrote:
y11971alex wrote: that honeywell is bull as far as switch type is concerned.
stop denying the facts that vintage blacks are the best switch ever ;P
I tried them at a meet-up; not quite.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Aug 2017, 19:15

Menuhin wrote: What formula and proportion of ingredients did you use as retrobright?

Interesting to see these real Honeywell models with quite different color theme (more like NCR) from the Honeywell keycaps group buys recently. Also the top row Function keys start from F11 and then arbitrarily end at F30, and the End key above the up arrow and the Home key.
I followed a good friend of mine's guide on youtube. I used 40 volume salon creme and 40 volume liquid hydrogen peroxide mixed. Here is the video!

ideus

21 Aug 2017, 19:16

Menuhin wrote: What formula and proportion of ingredients did you use as retrobright?

What do you mean by NCR color themes? I have some old key caps that came from an XT NCR keyboard and they are black on beige in the exactly same colors as modern beige double shots from GMK and I meant exactly.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Aug 2017, 19:18

ideus wrote:

What do you mean by NCR color themes? I have some old key caps that came from an XT NCR keyboard and they are black on beige in the exactly same colors as modern beige double shots from GMK and I meant exactly.
Meaning the light grey grey with dark grey legends, like on the famous G81-3077HAU/SAU

Tuntematon

22 Aug 2017, 00:01

+1 for Zealios...make that Tealios, truer to the original but immeasurably better. Accept no substitutes, maximize your feelios! :lol:

taylorswiftttttt

22 Aug 2017, 19:14

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

25 Aug 2017, 08:48

Damn some epic finds mike

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Aug 2017, 09:01

Yes both are really nice, both the G80-0577 and the G80-0528 were produced with different brandings, I'll add your G80-0528 to our wiki page unless you want to do that yourself?

wiki/Cherry_G80-0528

Between "Honeywell" and "Honeywell Bull" branding I'd pick the latter. :mrgreen:

Return to “Gallery”