Apple III keyboard

snuci
Vintage computer guy

15 Sep 2017, 01:07

Here are some quick pics of the Apple III keyboard. I'm not sure if I like these but let's see what they look like. The keyboard is kinda dirty.

The cursor keys are pretty cool. Something I didn't notice was that they are "double clicky" or double action SKFF key switches (if Daniel can confirm). I don't particularly want to take one apart but I will if it helps. I think this will be pretty complicated. as it clicks where a clicky key switch normally clicks and at the bottom 1/10th, it clicks again until it bottoms out for the double action.
Apple III - computer
Apple III - computer
Apple III - computer.JPG (239.25 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Apple III - Computer side
Apple III - Computer side
Apple III - Computer side.JPG (192.28 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Apple III - keyboard cover removed
Apple III - keyboard cover removed
Apple III - keyboard cover removed.JPG (267.06 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Apple III - bottom of PCB
Apple III - bottom of PCB
Apple III - bottom of PCB.JPG (285.69 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Apple III - cursor keys PCB
Apple III - cursor keys PCB
Apple III - cursor keys PCB.JPG (423.66 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Apple III - The Keyboard Company markings
Apple III - The Keyboard Company markings
Apple III - The Keyboard Company markings.JPG (249.16 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Apple III - normal key switch profile
Apple III - normal key switch profile
Apple III - normal key switch profile.JPG (286.5 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Apple III - double action cursor keys profile
Apple III - double action cursor keys profile
Apple III - double action cursor keys profile.JPG (239.99 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Apple III - key caps removed
Apple III - key caps removed
Apple III - key caps removed.JPG (315.36 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Apple III - key stem adapters removed
Apple III - key stem adapters removed
Apple III - key stem adapters removed.JPG (221.96 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Apple III - double action key caps removed
Apple III - double action key caps removed
Apple III - double action key caps removed.JPG (228.83 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
Apple III - double action cursor keys
Apple III - double action cursor keys
Apple III - double action cursor keys.JPG (266.76 KiB) Viewed 3046 times

Daniel Beardsmore

15 Sep 2017, 01:21

D'oh, I didn't spot the PCB hack previously.

Yours are a different kind of switch though: Kevin Rye's example has the black stem with external spring type previously found in the Canon AP-400. Yours just look like the regular momentary switches, yet clearly they are not as they still have the four terminals. (Also, that's one of the rare PCBs branded as the short-lived Keyboard Company, before Apple bought them.)

I don't have a double-action type but I do have some momentary switches, and as I recall, they come apart easily but they're a bit finicky to reassemble afterwards.

I wonder if the adapters there were to make use of Datanetics keycaps, since we know that Alps made tall switches.

(The idea of two-speed keyboard scrolling is certainly an intriguing one, as scrolling is an analogue concept that's a nuisance to achieve without reaching for the mouse.)

snuci
Vintage computer guy

15 Sep 2017, 01:25

Took a quick video too:

snuci
Vintage computer guy

15 Sep 2017, 01:36

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Yours are a different kind of switch though: Kevin Rye's example has the black stem with external spring type previously found in the Canon AP-400. Yours just look like the regular momentary switches, yet clearly they are not as they still have the four terminals. (Also, that's one of the rare PCBs branded as the short-lived Keyboard Company, before Apple bought them.)

I have two generations of Apple IIIs and all of my keyboards have the same white non-external spring double action switches.
Daniel Beardsmore wrote: I wonder if the adapters there were to make use of Datanetics keycaps, since we know that Alps made tall switches.
Wanna hear something stupid? The double action cursor key stems are taller than the other switches. Those are extenders for all other switches to line up flat with the cursor keys :) That's why only the cursor keys do NOT have extenders. :)

Daniel Beardsmore

15 Sep 2017, 09:50

Since Apple preferred tall switches anyway, it would surely make more sense to use tall cream switches and not bother with the adapters. Maybe the tall cream ones came a tad later.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

21 Sep 2017, 01:43

I was close to taking one of the dual action SKFF switches apart but if I can't put it back together, I'm in a pickle. I was, at least, able to slide up the "skirt" a little.

I believe this is the correct patent: https://www.google.com/patents/US4249055
Alps SKFF dual action side
Alps SKFF dual action side
Alps SKFF dual action side.JPG (180.47 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
Alps SKFF dual action bottom
Alps SKFF dual action bottom
Alps SKFF dual action bottom.JPG (292.29 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
Alps SKFF dual action side A
Alps SKFF dual action side A
Alps SKFF dual action side A.JPG (187.68 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
Alps SKFF dual action side B
Alps SKFF dual action side B