G80-0414H/09

Myoth

26 Dec 2017, 21:21

Finally I got time to take some pictures of this keyboard and more than the keyboard, the system it came from.

About the keyboard, this is a G80-0414H/09. It has plate-mounted Cherry MX Black. Though they are vintage they vary much in keyfeel, some of them feel very smooth and others are quite scratchy, I like the board and would use it nonetheless :roll:
Spoiler:
Unfortunately it doesn't work with soarer's converter, many Cherry XT keyboard also don't work with this converter.
Right now when I plug the keyboard into it, it sends scancodes and the in-switch leds light up, but I can't type with it. The scancodes it sends are "R06" if that can help you. Any help to make it work would be appreciated :P
Anyway, enough talking, here are some pics :

Here's the full beast, it's a Portable Terminal from Siema (I'll get back on that one later).

I took the keycaps off to clean them as they were dirty and needed a good bath.

Yup, good old Cherry MX Blacks.

This Cherry MX Grey has a different colour than all the other ones I've seen, it must be the same discolouration as seen on the space bar switch of the 0924 [wiki]File:G80-0924_--_MX_Linear_Grey_on_spacebar.jpg[/wiki]

There is a diode near the spacebar switch

But not near this one, which is the Caps Lock switch ... there is even a hole for it, why is there no diode ? :?:

My all-time favourite keycaps, Cherry doubleshots, with the Row 5 from Cherry, nice.
Those 0 are sexy !

Took the upper case off.

Another angle.

Backside.

Upper left corner sticker.

This is the back side, bottom sticker, it says the keyboard is a G80-0414H/09. Serail number : 102316 C30. I've been told that the "C30" is the date code but is not compatible with the "normal" Cherry dating. So it would be great if someone could tell me from what year this was from.

You can see that there is some markings under the sticker, presumably a Cherry logo and some kind of number. (which both can be made out)

A component.

This is the microcontroller, which is said to have "2K bytes mask-programmed ROM, 128 bytes RAM".
source : http://datasheets.chipdb.org/Philips/MAB8050H.pdf
Spoiler:
hmm this logo makes me think of something else ...Image

Some more marking on the PCB.

This is intriguing to me as I'm not too familiar with PCB making, there is some diode markings on the pcb but they aren't everywhere, I'd think that they should as they are usually used to make a keyboard NKRO, right ? So these must be here to prevent ghosting on certain frequently used keys ? I don't know really, would be great if someone explained to me.

No marking on the middle of the keyboard.

This has been home-made for sure :lol:

At least it's got a detachable cable :P
Spoiler:
Some backstory about the terminal, my dad found it when it was going to be dumped so it was technically saved 8-), from what he told me, Siema was a company that only had SNCF (the SNCF is the train company of France, where my dad works) as their customers. Which meant that they would crank prices up since they were going to pay for it anyway. They made equipment for the SNCF until late 1990s. They made high quality equipment, my dad said (though I think some of you may recognize come components and will probably be able to tell more about the build quality than my dad). Since they cranked prices up, I guess it's not surprising to see a Cherry keyboard in here.

Here are some more picture of the Terminal itself :

• RX :?:
  • TX :?:
  • Marche means on
  • Console means, you'll never guess it ... console :lol:
  • Imprimante means printer
  • Programmateur de REPROM means REPROM programmer

Backside

Secret Stash :o

That sounds scary :?

Probably the date at when it was last checked.

If you want to visit them :evilgeek:

It's very faint but it says N#22 S1/30 (I think, even I, am not sure)

Some "Artistic" Shots
Anyway, if you want to see something else particularly I can take other pictures tomorrow as it's already night-time.

Louison :geek:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

26 Dec 2017, 21:33

Myoth wrote:

A component.
The legend ... Triple-five timer!

__red__

26 Dec 2017, 22:21

Wodan wrote:
Myoth wrote:

A component.
The legend ... Triple-five timer!
Get a frequency counter or oscilloscope on that and I'm willing to bet you'll get an indication of the baud rate.

TX and RX are going to be your serial in and out.

If you want to use it as a console I'd recommend putting a scope on those lines and hit a few keys. That will give you both the encoding and the voltages in use.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

27 Dec 2017, 11:42

Lots of header material here! Thank you for the great pictures.

Myoth

27 Dec 2017, 14:28

__red__ wrote: Get a frequency counter or oscilloscope on that and I'm willing to bet you'll get an indication of the baud rate.

TX and RX are going to be your serial in and out.

If you want to use it as a console I'd recommend putting a scope on those lines and hit a few keys. That will give you both the encoding and the voltages in use.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Hrm ... I would if I knew what all those things were haha, I will try to see because I think my dad has an oscilloscope.
ramnes wrote: Lots of header material here! Thank you for the great pictures.

Daniel

27 Dec 2017, 19:47

Nice photos. Those slashed zeros are nice!

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

28 Dec 2017, 20:09

Nice pics. Strange that a terminal produced by a French company for a French customer would have a US QWERTY layout and not AZERTY!

hansichen

02 Feb 2018, 11:14

Weird decision to use an english board here. The G80-0511 would be the same board with French caps. These boards seem to speak ascii protocol and not ibm protocol, no wonder that it doesn't work with soarer's converter.
More info can be found here: w/images/1/1b/The_Standards.pdf

Jon42

06 Oct 2023, 16:23

I have a similar machine, with an Apple keyboard. It has to be the nicest keyboard I've ever seen, looks brand new.

I don’t know much about this machine other than it’s based on a 1Mb Macintosh Plus machine, it’s completely custom made in around 1986+ and it does not work.

The machine itself is really unusual as it’s built to a really high finish with injection moulded plastic and really finely cut steel and aluminium, but it doesn’t have a single label on it - nothing to be able to tell who made it and why.

Inside there is a Macintosh Plus motherboard and analog board, with a custom adapted SCSI hard drive, floppy drive and some controls such as reset and either volume or brightness. There is also a serial output on the back, which suggests this had some kind of industrial use.

Has anyone ever come across one of these?

Thx. Jon42
Attachments
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg (423.79 KiB) Viewed 26842 times
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg (333.78 KiB) Viewed 26842 times
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg (360.46 KiB) Viewed 26842 times
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg (361.85 KiB) Viewed 26842 times
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg (298.39 KiB) Viewed 26842 times