As for "Cherry MX Yellow"

UncleFan

23 Jan 2018, 13:41

Hey, guys! Today I'd like to talking about ''Cherry MX Yellow''.Currently there is a lot of controversy about it.It seems that only Chinese players can solve the truth.As of today, I had collected a total of 4 kinds of ''cherry MX yellow switches'' and a ''cherry M8 yellow'' from ''G80-0978/0''. and also have 2 kinds of ''Hirose Cherry M8 Yellow''.
all of them
all of them
1.jpg (4.65 MiB) Viewed 5124 times
Let me introduce them first:
switch''A'' was from TaoBao: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1 ... 7319399100
switch''B'' was from TaoBao: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1 ... 6475149015
switch"C'' and ''D'' were from the same keyboard: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1 ... 1163807092
switch''E'' was the spacebar in ''G80-0978/0''.
switch''F" was the spacebar in "Panasonic VP-0187A''.
switch"G" was the spacebar in "Epson HC-20''.
"F" and "G" is the Hirose Cherry M8 switches, theyir craft are different with German craft.So we don't need to compare with them.
Now we can use "E" as a standard to compare them:
A B C D E
A B C D E
2.jpg (3.18 MiB) Viewed 5124 times
The most suspicious place of "Cherry MX Yellow'' is their key-stem.at first, I compare "A,B,C,D"'scolor.Unfortunately, none of them match the cherry color.
KEY-STEM
KEY-STEM
3.jpg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 5124 times
and there is a letter "C'' on the "A" key-stem,a letter "D'' on the "B" key-stem,a letter "F'' on the "C" key-stem,a letter "D'' on the "D" key-stem
4.jpg
4.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 5124 times
This is the most questionable,I had collected many cherry switches,none of their keystem has a letter. The letters are replaced by numbers in cherry switches.Here are the others photos:
5.jpg
5.jpg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 5124 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 5124 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (4.05 MiB) Viewed 5124 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 5124 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (3.6 MiB) Viewed 5124 times
Note that this is the best evidence that it is a counterfeit product, the bottom shell of "A and B" hasn't serial number. Although C and D have serial number.But they may have changed the shell.
In China, the history of CHERRY MX Yellow switches dates back 8 years. According to my survey, It first appeared in the KBC forum,They are the closest switches to the cherry craft.There are many differences with my MX yellow switches.It is said that they are customized.
KBC MX Yellow switches
KBC MX Yellow switches
IMG_8861.JPG (121.18 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
KBC
KBC
IMG_8860.JPG (100.68 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
But the KBC forum is closed,I can not get more information. By the way, BroDragon's MX yellow switch was also from KBC.
As for these yellow switches, BroDragon had introduced them in the China Forum:
http://bbs.wstx.com/thread-191806-1-1.html
Other records of the MX yellow switches:
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1963113038?pid ... 5964533603
Please note this photo, It is like a fake product.
IMG_9188.JPG
IMG_9188.JPG (116.94 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
Again, I can not contact those man who claimed have MX yellow switches.
Last edited by UncleFan on 23 Jan 2018, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

UncleFan

23 Jan 2018, 14:10

Brief translation:
无标题.png
无标题.png (72.1 KiB) Viewed 5115 times
11.png
11.png (86.47 KiB) Viewed 5115 times
12.png
12.png (70.57 KiB) Viewed 5115 times

UncleFan

23 Jan 2018, 14:26

At the moment, KBC's yellow switches are the most real,I've been trying to find them, but I did not find it.If the DT Forum has former KBC members, hope you can contact me when you see this theme.I hope to get more information.

Daniel Beardsmore

23 Jan 2018, 19:21

According to Cherry in Germany, the letter on the stem shows that it is a fake part. So A, B, C and D all have fake stems

The switch tops look real.

Switch bottoms A and B (with no diode symbol or mould number) do look suspicious. Cherry shells without fixing pins also have circles where the fixing pins go, suggesting possibly that the same mould can do either. Those are also notably absent.

By the way, why would a tire factory have old keyboards? Did you mean electronics recycling centre?

Topre Enthusiast

24 Jan 2018, 03:17

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: By the way, why would a tire factory have old keyboards? Did you mean electronics recycling centre?
Lol thought that was weird too so had a look. 轮胎加工厂 is the text which apparently means 'Tire processing plant'. I'm guessing they process other rubbish too. If you keep flicking between English and Chinese in ElGoog, it does eventually turn into 'Tire factory'. Maybe people think the keyboards have *rubber* domes in them :)

UncleFan

24 Jan 2018, 12:17

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: According to Cherry in Germany, the letter on the stem shows that it is a fake part. So A, B, C and D all have fake stems

The switch tops look real.

Switch bottoms A and B (with no diode symbol or mould number) do look suspicious. Cherry shells without fixing pins also have circles where the fixing pins go, suggesting possibly that the same mould can do either. Those are also notably absent.

By the way, why would a tire factory have old keyboards? Did you mean electronics recycling centre?
Uh...The original is "tire factory".I also don't understand why...
Now I'm sure all of my "MX yellow" is fake.
Those MX yellow from KBC looks like real cherry products. There are many differences with my MX yellow switches.

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Jan 2018, 20:13

Here's my question: what was the goal of making yellow MX switches? What did anyone hope to achieve?

Monster-Toys

21 Jun 2019, 19:00

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 20:13
Here's my question: what was the goal of making yellow MX switches? What did anyone hope to achieve?
Maybe getting rid of excess yellow plastic pellets in the storage that would go to waste else maybe... or a wrong order/shipment of a charge of pellets. (As they all have sligthly different yellow color maybe it got mixed with the next charge of plastic in the correct (clear?) color over time.

Return to “Gallery”