ITT ETL18 Force Curve

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

02 Feb 2018, 09:20

Thanks to Daniel Beardsmore for sending me a bunch of switches!

To start off, an "interesting" one: wiki/ITT_ETL18

It feels like your flicking something when you press it. Quite smooth too.

Daniel Beardsmore

02 Feb 2018, 09:31

Wow. That is not even the tiniest little bit like what I expected.

A lot of these graphs from unusual switches go straight across, which makes no sense — that's like travelling at warp 10. If the force remains the same or only decreases, surely it would instantly drop? In that graph, every single point on it is lower than the preload, so once you've overcome that, it should bottom out instantaneously.

In reality, it does bottom out fast, but there's also a force build-up at the start, which I'm not seeing there. Also, the tactile peak subjectively feels more like 60 g to me — it's definitely not a light switch. That graph puts it lighter than MX Red, which it's not.

rich1051414

02 Feb 2018, 09:56

Jesus, that shoots straight across when actuated. I bet it does feel like flicking something.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

02 Feb 2018, 13:10

Thanks for doing this guys. It is definitely an interesting switch.

codemonkeymike

02 Feb 2018, 14:16

"Key feel - like none other"

HaaTa
Master Kiibohd Hunter

02 Feb 2018, 19:22

Yeah, it feels a lot heavier than it actually is.
I think this may have to do with the amount of momentum your finger has when pressing a linear switch. For a linear switch your finger knows to keep pressing even harder to go down. But for a switch like this (as well as the later half of parabolic switches) your finger can actually get lazier as you press down so it just seems heavier. The preload is also similar to Cherry MX Clear instead of MX Red.

Return to “Gallery”