Awesome flea market finds! Commodore 1280 KB and Apple Design Keyboard

green-squid

22 Apr 2018, 11:58

I'm back with things I found at the Flea Market today!! I'm very happy.

Woooo!!! Alps keycaps! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Spider webs!
Dirty keys

Czech Rep is a great country ;) ;)

This is very cool! Not sure if I will keep the keycaps or sell them, but it's all good! What do you think? :) :) :)

Last edited by green-squid on 22 Apr 2018, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

Dingster

22 Apr 2018, 12:04

Nice finds :D
But i think the alps keycaps are lasered, not dye sub.

Also imo keep the caps for your Zenith!

green-squid

22 Apr 2018, 12:14

Dingster wrote: Nice finds :D

Thanks bro!! I don't know, they look like dyesublimed ones to me.

I don't know where I'll use them for know, but who knows!

Dingster

22 Apr 2018, 12:17

green-squid wrote:

Hmm looking at them, they do look darker than the ones on the wiki. Might actually be dye sub, can you get a good close up of a keycap :)?

green-squid

22 Apr 2018, 12:35

Dingster wrote:
green-squid wrote:

Hmm looking at them, they do look darker than the ones on the wiki. Might actually be dye sub, can you get a good close up of a keycap :)?

I looked at one real hard, and it looked like a dyesub.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

22 Apr 2018, 13:21

About supposed dye subs:
green-squid wrote:
Dingster wrote: […] Might actually be dye sub, can you get a good close up of a keycap :)?
Oh! So you looked at one cap "real hard, and it looked like" a dyesub?
This of course is a strong argument, no close-up pic required then :lol:

But could you elaborate on your assessment criteria?
Perhaps this can help: photos-f62/vintage-lgi-t18689.html

green-squid

22 Apr 2018, 13:56

kbdfr wrote: About supposed dye subs:
green-squid wrote:
Dingster wrote: […] Might actually be dye sub, can you get a good close up of a keycap :)?
Oh! So you looked at one cap "real hard, and it looked like" a dyesub?
This of course is a strong argument, no close-up pic required then :lol:

But could you elaborate on your assessment criteria?
Perhaps this can help: photos-f62/vintage-lgi-t18689.html
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Okay. This is the best pic I have. If you zoom in, you can see that there is some blue-y fuzzyness around the letter. And Apple's lasered keycaps were not like this.
Attachments
20180422_134534.jpg
20180422_134534.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 6671 times

chzel

22 Apr 2018, 14:01

Nope,most likely UV coated pad printed, if you look at the edge of the top of the cap you can see the edge of the coating.

green-squid

22 Apr 2018, 14:04

Ok, whatever, I have cool keycaps! :)

green-squid

22 Apr 2018, 18:40

Do you think I can convert the 128D to USB?

Findecanor

22 Apr 2018, 20:34

green-squid wrote: Do you think I can convert the 128D to USB?
I think the lines and columns of the matrix are in the cable. A quick search revealed this page with matrix table .. and an adapter project, but I think it would be easier to just adapt TMK.

green-squid

22 Apr 2018, 20:43

Findecanor wrote:
green-squid wrote: Do you think I can convert the 128D to USB?
I think the lines and columns of the matrix are in the cable. A quick search revealed this page with matrix table .. and an adapter project, but I think it would be easier to just adapt TMK.
That's cool! I don't know which line would go to which pin on the teensy, since the site is in german.

Findecanor

22 Apr 2018, 22:45

green-squid wrote: That's cool! I don't know which line would go to which pin on the teensy, since the site is in german.
I would guess that the pin numbers may correspond to pins on the connector, but you would have to verify the pin arrangement by tracing the matrix membrane (or is it a PCB?) or check with a multimeter.

The arrangement on the Teensy side is up to you: the GPIO pins are all programmable and each can be assigned to either a row or a column. You have to specify the pin usage in the TMK source code for the keyboard.

Elrick

23 Apr 2018, 05:01

green-squid wrote: Ok, whatever, I have cool keycaps! :)
Don't need praise from strangers, if you like your key-caps then only YOU should enjoy them.

Forum sites shouldn't be a place to get rolling approval upon anything, it's only there to answer certain specific questions and that's it.

consolation

23 Apr 2018, 06:04

G-S, what Elrik said; it's nice to belong to a community, but, don't forget to enjoy things you enjoy and not what other people like.

BTW, are you guys related? Green-Squid you sound so much like an Elrick Jr. - I've had my suspicions about you two for a while. If not, it's nice to know that Elrick can pass the torch of Deskthority shit poster to the next generation. :-)

green-squid

23 Apr 2018, 07:06

Thank you consolation!!!

We are not related at all. He is in the 3rd world country of AUS (according to him) and I'm not.

And I try not to shitpost and bring discussion to the table, but sometimes you just gotta have a bit of fun :)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

23 Apr 2018, 08:58

green-squid wrote: […] And I try not to shitpost […]
Obviously you should try harder.
Much harder :lol:

For example, it would be a good start if instead of opening a new thread for every shit that crosses your mind,
like you've done in the past (see spoiler below),
you would simply open one single thread for all your supposed mind-blowing discoveries.

It would make simply smiling at the rest of your ubiquitous babbling much easier.
Spoiler:
As of today, you've been on DT 198 days, i.e. 6 months and 16 days.
In that time, you opened 64 threads, i.e. a new thread almost every third day on average.

green-squid

23 Apr 2018, 13:17

keyboard france, It's not that easy! Often times I have a thought that pops up in my head about keyboards and I just can't hold the thought back until I have another! ;)

thokir

23 Apr 2018, 13:29

green-squid wrote: keyboard france, It's not that easy! Often times I have a thought that pops up in my head about keyboards and I just can't hold the thought back until I have another! ;)
But you could simply spam one thread with all your thoughts one after another, so one knows which thread is yours.
That would make some things much more pleasant.

Aaaand... one does not need to share every single thought that comes up to his mind lol

green-squid

23 Apr 2018, 13:34

We will see.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

23 Apr 2018, 13:37

thokir wrote:
green-squid wrote: keyboard france, It's not that easy! Often times I have a thought that pops up in my head about keyboards and I just can't hold the thought back until I have another! ;)
But you could simply spam one thread with all your thoughts one after another, so one knows which thread is yours. […]
Thank you for explaining my suggestion, obviously green-squid reads the same superficial way he also posts :lol:

green-squid

23 Apr 2018, 13:42

kbdfr wrote:
thokir wrote:
But you could simply spam one thread with all your thoughts one after another, so one knows which thread is yours. […]
Thank you for explaining my suggestion, obviously green-squid reads the same superficial way he also posts :lol:
That's not true!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

23 Apr 2018, 14:16

green-squid wrote:
kbdfr wrote: […], obviously green-squid reads the same superficial way he also posts :lol:
That's not true!
What do you think is less superficial, your reading or your writing? :lol:

Anyway, next time you feel like opening a new thread,
please make it a catch-all thread you will then use again and again.

By the way,
it would be a good idea to already consider which title it should have,
because statistically it will be needed quite soon :lol:

green-squid

23 Apr 2018, 18:12

Okay, but I will still make seperate threads for my cool finds!!!!!

snuci
Vintage computer guy

23 Apr 2018, 18:19

Love the Commodore 128 DCR keyboard even though it's not a great keyboard for this community.

thokir

23 Apr 2018, 23:32

green-squid wrote:Okay, but I will still make seperate threads for my cool finds!!!!!
"cool finds"
Well luckily not everyone has the same point of view regarding what's a great find and what isn't : )
Last edited by thokir on 24 Apr 2018, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.

green-squid

24 Apr 2018, 06:58

thokir wrote:
green-squid wrote:Okay, but I will still make seperate threads for my cool finds!!!!!
"cool finds
Well luckily not everyone has the same point of view regarding what's a great find and what isn't : )
You mean a Commodore keyboard and Apple Alps keycaps aren't great finds? I think they are great finds!! What's wrong with them?

My old finds used to be fine. What is wrong with them now?

groinksan

11 Jun 2018, 14:06

Regarding the AppleDesign keyboard...

It's now clear that not only are there two versions of this keyboard, but there is a clear line separating the two. Keyboards that have the Alps switch appear to be made for the European market. So far, all the samples I've seen that have the Alps switches and encoder chip 341-0001 also have European key caps.

Although not mentioned in this thread, the other version that uses NMB hardware (switches and encoder chip) have the American English key caps.

The reason I'm curious about this is that I'm actually working on a project that basically replaces the entire controller PCB with a customized PCB. I thought I could place this board into any AppleDesign keyboard, but apparently not. I have to deal with the possibility that a AppleDesign keyboard I purchase might have the wrong board. Now I need to figure out a way to somehow visually know which hardware lies inside the case. So, is my assumption correct regarding European and American keyboard versions?

One other observation: 341-0001 is the Apple part number for this keyboard's encoder. This is the first time I've seen Apple actually recycle their part numbers. 341-0001 is also the part number for one of the ROMs in the Apple II computer.

fohat
Elder Messenger

11 Jun 2018, 14:32

I am not an Apple guy, but my experience (in the US) is that the Design keyboard with detachable cable has Alps-compatible caps and the ones with permanent cables are the other type.

Return to “Gallery”