Brett's Blue Alps Collection

Brett MacK

23 May 2018, 04:19

After seeing Gainsborough's collection post, and Nathen Kim's videos, I wanted to try my hand at it. So here is my blue alps keyboards that I have amassed, and a typing demo of each. I do not have a huge collection, as my favorite part of the hobby is restoring keyboards, along with browsing eBay all day at work :). I only collect a few niche keyboards that I really enjoy. Blue alps are one of my favorite switches, and I love how they come in a surprising variety of keyboards.

What I really find interesting is how case and caps have such a big affect on the overall sound of the keyboard. This should be a good show of how a metal/plastic case have an affect on sound. I will start off the list with my first keyboard, to my latest.

Northgate Omnikey 102

Omnikeys are the best built alps keyboards without a doubt. This one has the gold badge (with the sticker still on), and blue alps. As my first, it's also my favorite. I received this one with almost no use.
IMG_0842.jpg
IMG_0842.jpg (672.57 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
IMG_0843.jpg
IMG_0843.jpg (624.73 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
IMG_0845.jpg
IMG_0845.jpg (541.19 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
Leading Edge DC-2014

One of the more common blue alps keyboards, but in my opinion the best sounding. The all plastic construction, yet solid build quality makes for a great sounding keyboard. This one is new -original box which the seller threw away...
IMG_0850.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg (697.2 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
IMG_0851.jpg
IMG_0851.jpg (638.13 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
NEC PC880I

I got this one from Blaise, and really love it. Very unique in every way. It comes with 2 heavy blue alps in the top left of the keyboard, along with beautiful JIS PBT Dyesubs. The sound is a bit odd. The keyboard is built very rigid and gives off a shallow/understated sound. I still like it, just haven't seen another keyboard sound like it.
IMG_0833.jpg
IMG_0833.jpg (1016.66 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
IMG_0834.jpg
IMG_0834.jpg (648.86 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
Chicony 5160AT

From an eBay seller in greece. Same one as I got my model M from. I am a big fan of the Greek keycaps, and they are doubleshots too. This board has a plastic case, and a thick metal mounting plate, which gives it a bit of a ping that the mic doesn't pic up. Very nice nonetheless.
IMG_0835.jpg
IMG_0835.jpg (662.2 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
IMG_0836.jpg
IMG_0836.jpg (654.07 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
Datacomp DFK515AT

I had this one imported all the way from the Netherlands. Had to part with my video writer for it, but 100% worth. To me this keyboard is the Alps White Whale! This thing is built like a tank, and way bigger than the camera makes it out to be. The switches feel almost new, and sound amazing in the case. The case and caps have a great white finish that is almost identical to my display writer.
IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0846.jpg (657.58 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
IMG_0847.jpg
IMG_0847.jpg (625.26 KiB) Viewed 4851 times
This is the first time making any youtube videos, so I would love to hear your opinion! I had a good time learning to record everything, and hopefully I can make quality improvements as I go. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Brett MacK on 23 May 2018, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

23 May 2018, 05:19

This is a fantastic blue alps collection. Each board has it's own special little quirk and brings something different to the table soundwise. I really love the bassy sound of the DC-2014 - I think it really brings out the fullness of blue alps. The greek keycaps on the Chicony are pretty awesome too!

I must admit that I'm very jealous of that datacomp board.... Also.... it seems so familiar... The Netherlands, you say? Should we be expecting an SKCM brown review soon on a particular YouTube channel? ;)

Thanks for sharing, BM!

Chyros

23 May 2018, 07:19

//gainsborough wrote: I must admit that I'm very jealous of that datacomp board.... Also.... it seems so familiar... The Netherlands, you say? Should we be expecting an SKCM brown review soon on a particular YouTube channel? ;)
Hmmmmmaybe ;) .

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

23 May 2018, 07:23

Chyros wrote: Hmmmmmaybe ;) .
noice.

Chyros

23 May 2018, 08:04

Probably won't be super soon though, I have a few massive projects I need to get out first xD .

Anyway, glad you're enjoying the Datacomp, she's one hell of a board. And great collection, all these blue Alps boards are making my mouth water! :D

Menuhin

23 May 2018, 10:53

The noiceness of the boards in such conditions in this thread has made this thread to a near troll level.
Although my vote always goes to the Northgate, and this NEC lacks the right thumb keys - I still have to say that NEC looks very classy and unique.

Totally jelly!
But have to congrats your finger tips.

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 May 2018, 12:37

Don't forget that the NEC I sold you has PBT dyesubs for the alphanumerics! ;)

Brett MacK

23 May 2018, 13:06

Blaise170 wrote: Don't forget that the NEC I sold you has PBT dyesubs for the alphanumerics! ;)
How could I forget, not many alps boards like that. Those caps probably attribute to the unique sound of the keyboard.
//gainsborough
Now we need to see your alps collection. I know It will be a couple weeks to take pictures of all of them :lol: .
Menuhin
Thanks, condition means a lot to me with these boards. Good to see another Northgate fan :)

green-squid

23 May 2018, 13:11

Nice money you got there ;)

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

23 May 2018, 15:39

At one point I would've easily been able to fill an entire thread with all of the Alps boards I had, but most have moved on to new owners. I think the only Alps board I have left now is a Sharp X1 with Green Alps and a 3.5mm aux connector (yes the same connector that headphones use) and a Sharp X68000 with Green Alps.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

23 May 2018, 16:25

Brett MacK wrote: Now we need to see your alps collection. I know It will be a couple weeks to take pictures of all of them :lol: .
:oops:

Maybe a project for the summer!

Sangdrax

24 May 2018, 01:52

Really great stuff. Though, I think the sound on the Northgate is the best out of the lot. The NEC is also the kind of terminal layout I really get excited about. What shape they're all in too!

xtreg

24 May 2018, 10:08

Most of us would feel lucky having just one of the boards!

BlindAssassin111

25 May 2018, 02:26

I really want that omnikey...Such great condition. I want a board with blues so much, but haven't been lucky enough to get one yet.

Elrick

27 May 2018, 13:00

BlindAssassin111 wrote: I really want that omnikey...Such great condition. I want a board with blues so much, but haven't been lucky enough to get one yet.
That Omnikey would be around a minimum of $600 easy.

Because it's in a brilliant condition, that it has to fetch the highest price related to it's current shape.

That is, if Brett would ever contemplate selling it in his lifetime, which I highly doubt since keyboards like that do not front up in public any more.

Far better to wait for a near new Beamspring, better chance of nabbing that instead :lol: .

Return to “Gallery”