IBM Model F XT restoration

tatsurou

24 May 2018, 21:07

There was that guy in Germany on E-Bay selling this as "I don't know what it is and I don't know anything about computers". So I got the set for around 50 Euro with postage back to the UK. What it appears, is brand new spare IBM Model F parts. Almost entire keyboard without keys, springs and hammers. Everything looks pristine. Parts have no marks of any use on them. Just dust and old dirt. Now, is anyone selling a dead XT F or its parts? :D

Last edited by tatsurou on 27 May 2018, 20:26, edited 2 times in total.

orihalcon

24 May 2018, 21:30

Hmm, iteresting find indeed. If I had to guess, I'd say someone harvested the hammers/springs, then recycled it. I'll be selling lots of XT parts starting tomorrow. Keycap sets for $25 and hammer/spring sets for $65. May be cheaper to just buy a different XT though, but shipping will definitely cost less to get just the parts you need :)

JP!

24 May 2018, 22:03

Dang, I'd say try and find a donor unit in poor cosmetic condition if you can without spending a lot, otherwise you might have more into it than buying a complete unit.

tatsurou

24 May 2018, 23:14

I found a Bigfoot Model F instead. Do you guys think it's okay to butcher it or is it better to just refurbish and sell it as it is?

JP!

24 May 2018, 23:20

tatsurou wrote: I found a Bigfoot Model F instead. Do you guys think it's okay to butcher it or is it better to just refurbish and sell it as it is?
Well that's up to you. My opinion is keep or sell as is, no need to refurbish. I like the bigfoot better.

tatsurou

25 May 2018, 00:32

Bigfoot is too big for me really. Also I like modest and minimalist XT look. AT looks better imo, but I went for the build quality this time. I will keep looking

JP!

25 May 2018, 03:55

tatsurou wrote: Bigfoot is too big for me really. Also I like modest and minimalist XT look. AT looks better imo, but I went for the build quality this time. I will keep looking
The internals of the bigfoot are the same dimensions so it would a drop in replacement. You just would need a Teensy or ProMicro to convert it.

tatsurou

25 May 2018, 16:24

Might do that! Found some other ones with more suitable layout than a terminal one. I just started refurbishing it properly. The IBM badge has even a protective foil on it still! Gonna get the keys soon. And thus, pictures to be posted shortly!

tatsurou

25 May 2018, 17:43

Time to work! Everything has been cleaned thoroughly:

Plate cleaned and will be thinly painted to prevent rusting:

Board needed only wiping. It's pristine. Also logo still has a protective foil over it:

Back plate:

Space bar is the only key I had:

Cleaned body looks absolutely beautiful and is spotless:

Key bearings(is that how you call them?) rinsed out of ages old dust:

Cleaned the wire too:

I didn't need a bed anyway:

Now I'm away to get some machine oil for the springs bathing, gotta find some mat material too as the one has deteriorated. Also gonna get some primer and paint to make it look just right.

That is gonna be a nice daily driver I think :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

depletedvespene

25 May 2018, 18:29

Really good job on the cleaning!

If you do transplant the innards of a bigfoot onto the empty body that is currently this XT, would the resulting keyboard become a "smallfoot"?

tatsurou

25 May 2018, 19:29

I may rather go for regular board because I don't like terminals keycaps that much really.

depletedvespene

25 May 2018, 19:37

Oh... we could trade 'em... :mrgreen:

tatsurou

25 May 2018, 20:13

PM then ;D

tatsurou

25 May 2018, 21:02

Refitted the logo to be in satisfying position. Hnnnnnnggg!

tatsurou

25 May 2018, 21:53

More hnnngg for you - board thinly coated with a primer and three layers of black Toyota Astral Black body colour. Once it dries out, I will sand it down to make it even and smooth and then thinly spray-coat it with non-horribly-glossy black colour. Everything is super thin as I want to preserve as much of the original pingy sound as I can.

tatsurou

25 May 2018, 22:21

A little detail that made me happy:

pcaro

26 May 2018, 12:50

I have a XT to clean too. Interested in the replacement for the mat.

tatsurou

26 May 2018, 14:57

You willing to sell it?

tatsurou

26 May 2018, 15:07

I also may have some mats for sale soon guys

pcaro

26 May 2018, 16:27

tatsurou wrote: You willing to sell it?
Not for sell. To found a model F in Spain is difficult. I am going to repair it and use an internal converter.

tatsurou

27 May 2018, 20:14

Here, have some paint:
[Edit] I will add more detailed photos once it dries out :D

FXT
XT

28 May 2018, 01:07

Hopefully the paint stays together well when you clamp the case shut. I've never been able to get the paint on any of my barrel plates to remain perfect after reassembly.

PlacaFromHell

28 May 2018, 07:21

Can you tell me how did you removed the badge? I need to swap mine and it's a nightmare made of glue.

tatsurou

28 May 2018, 15:58

PlacaFromHell wrote: Can you tell me how did you removed the badge? I need to swap mine and it's a nightmare made of glue.
Very hot (but not boiling hot) shower water and a little screwdriver to lift it slowly. Plenty of water and patience required :D

tatsurou

28 May 2018, 16:20

New high quality antistatic foam in!

fohat
Elder Messenger

28 May 2018, 16:58

PlacaFromHell wrote:
Can you tell me how did you removed the badge?
I use old-fashioned cigarette lighter fluid (naptha). Squirt a few drops into the depression where the badge sits and wait 10-20 seconds, then pry it up with a sharp blade. Work quickly and then quickly remove the naptha, which can damage plastic. I do it beside the kitchen sink, wipe up the adhesive residue with a paper towel, and then wash it in hot soapy water.

tatsurou

28 May 2018, 17:19

Foam done:

PlacaFromHell

28 May 2018, 18:31

[/quote]

I use old-fashioned cigarette lighter fluid (naptha). Squirt a few drops into the depression where the badge sits and wait 10-20 seconds, then pry it up with a sharp blade. Work quickly and then quickly remove the naptha, which can damage plastic. I do it beside the kitchen sink, wipe up the adhesive residue with a paper towel, and then wash it in hot soapy water.[/quote]

Thanks Fohat, my F XT loves you.

tatsurou

12 Jun 2018, 18:01

Finally I can continue works! Thanks to Orihalcon's massive sale, I managed to pick one board to be rescued!

Let the reanimation begin!

tatsurou

13 Jun 2018, 00:25

I hope you like pictures, because you gonna get spammed with them :3

Return to “Gallery”