Post your desktop.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

22 Jun 2015, 13:54

I found these in my basement a while ago:

TDK-MA-XG-60-METAL-position-Type-IV with the metal case. These were high end.
IMG_20150622_135112.jpg
IMG_20150622_135112.jpg (540.53 KiB) Viewed 5853 times

kbdfr
The Tiproman

22 Jun 2015, 15:26

I always wonder how tidy all your desktop pics look.

This is my working environment:
My setup.jpg
My setup.jpg (119.81 KiB) Viewed 5826 times
(pic downsized to so that all the dirt and mess is not too visible :mrgreen: )

seebart

22 Jun 2015, 15:29

That does not look untidy, it looks like WORK.

SL89

22 Jun 2015, 15:31

On the subject of disks, who remembers Zip disks?

Regarding desks, both my home and work desks are too chaotic to post. :oops:

Muirium
µ

22 Jun 2015, 15:32

That's why I tidy mine before pictures!
seebart wrote: That does not look untidy, it looks like WORK.
Hmm… it's all fine besides for the nightmare going on just right of the display.

seebart

22 Jun 2015, 15:39

I remember Zip disks being unreliable and expensive. That's called "Kabelage" in German Mu! Loose translation "cablesalad".

mr_a500

22 Jun 2015, 15:44

kbdfr wrote: It’s amusing to see you kids calling 3.5" diskettes with a hard shell "floppy disks" :lol:

These are floppy disks (second generation with 5.25" after the first ones being huge 8"):
Yeah. I remember when I first saw 3.5" disks. They were amazingly high tech - so much capacity in such a small size. I also liked how they came in different colours and reminded me of Star Trek computer "tapes":
spocks-computer.jpg
As years went on, I came to hate those disks though. Read/write errors, trying to fit large files on them and disk swapping nearly drove me insane.

I still have around 1400 3.5" disks and probably 250 5.25". I did have an 8" disk at one time, but it was sooo floppy that I think it got bent and crushed.
Halvar wrote: BTW, it's a shame that modern usb sticks and external drives don't have a write protection switch. Image
SD cards do and that's one of the things I was impressed with when they came out. It reminded me of a tiny 3.5" disk, and just like those disks, they come in multiple colours. I've got all my vintage computers set up with SD card readers and swap disks just like the old days, but the disks have such huge capacity there's really no reason to swap - except to transfer files.
Last edited by mr_a500 on 22 Jun 2015, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Madhias
BS TORPE

22 Jun 2015, 20:15

kbdfr wrote: It’s amusing to see you kids calling 3.5" diskettes with a hard shell "floppy disks" :lol:
Sorry, but: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk
kbdfr wrote: This is my working environment:
My setup.jpg
The pixel size of the picture perfectly fits to the style of the 1998 office interieur :D

mr_a500

22 Jun 2015, 20:28

A South African guy I knew called the 3.5" disks "stiffies". I can guess why that term never caught on.

Muirium
µ

22 Jun 2015, 20:30

Here's Mr_A500's image, by the way. (All I see here is a douchey No Hotlinking! nag placeholder.)

Ah, Spock…

mr_a500

22 Jun 2015, 20:33

Ah crap. I didn't get any "douchey No Hotlinking! nag placeholder" so I thought the image was fine. It's attached now instead.

Muirium
µ

22 Jun 2015, 20:35

Yeah, it's a crappy trick. I get why they have the placeholder, but couldn't they just use imgur instead?

I'd have more sympathy if the pictures were their own content, rather than screencaps of Paramount's!

mr_a500

22 Jun 2015, 20:39

Spock's desktop isn't bad, but he definitely needs a keyboard.

SL89

28 Jun 2015, 20:23

Just cleaned my desk, please excuse the potato quality pictures. I loaned my DSLR to my brother.

This is my Windows 8 machine, and to make it feel more like home I used 'Bliss' as the wallpaper.

Now if I can only get some flying toasters as a screen saver...

Madhias
BS TORPE

11 Jul 2015, 07:49

I did not bring a keyboard with me, unfortunately. I'd love to have one with bluetooth, sized 60%, or 40%. It is somewhat comfortable, I am leaning against the couch with the baby hanging on the stomach.

He's really getting heavy now...

JustLiQuiD

11 Jul 2015, 16:02

thats my desktop :geek:
Attachments
Workplace.jpg
Workplace.jpg (874.26 KiB) Viewed 5416 times

Muirium
µ

11 Jul 2015, 16:12

SmallScreenThority!

I've a little 24" 4k display at my standing desk. Feels a lot bigger because it's so close. But I remember the old 15" days of yore as well. Nice to see not everyone's got a whole wall covered in pixels yet.

wyatt8740

09 Aug 2015, 23:17

Here's mine as it stands.

The blue label IBM is a 59G7980 - the silver badge IBM is a 1386303 connected to its original IBM 3161 terminal.

And just so you're aware we aren't all that tidy, kbdfr, this was my desk a few months ago.

Madhias
BS TORPE

20 Aug 2015, 12:53

Nice mess you have or had in the second picture, wyatt! That table protection looks professional :)

I am now using a more sophisticated multi monitor setup at work, and struggling a little bit with it. Using Mac OS as main operating system, and also a virtualized Windows, and applications where I use various windows on different screens, makes this setup not easy to use. I have changed now that every screen has its own 'Space', which helps with a lot of things, but other things does not really work anymore then. It is a compromise now, and the better things outweigh the bad (for example now applications always stay on the same screen, and don't switch back to the main screen - but the position is not recognized, only when an application is stretched to the whole screen, or in full size). In general the multi monitor support is not that bad, but could be much better.

Someone tried out tools like BetterTouchTool? Normally I don't really like to add tools, and try to solve everything with the main functions of the OS, but in this case I could need a little helper.

cookie

20 Aug 2015, 13:36

I like that one!

Muirium
µ

20 Aug 2015, 13:42

El Capitan (10.11) improves full screen tiling a fair bit, as you can (cue the Windows guys groaning) put more than one full screen window per physical screen. The beta is free and quite usable already, you might want to check it out before getting too deep into mods which are notorious for breaking with annual OS releases on the Mac in any case!

Apple got multiple display support right all the way back in the 80s with the Macintosh II. All displays (across multiple video cards) inhabited the same logical logical XY space, so you could drag windows across them (just outlines back then) and arrange things as you liked. Alas, they've been slow and unsure of themselves at supporting multiple displays ever since. Full screen apps in particular were a nightmare on multi screen setups back with Lion. There's signs they're getting back on track, at last. As cheap displays and plenty of graphics power makes such setups enticing for many nowadays.

What machine is powering that setup?

gogusrl

20 Aug 2015, 13:48

@work

Madhias
BS TORPE

20 Aug 2015, 14:25

Muirium wrote: El Capitan (10.11) improves full screen tiling a fair bit, as you can (cue the Windows guys groaning) put more than one full screen window per physical screen.
That's interesting! I try it out as soon as all apps I have to use are working there. I am always and everywhere an early adopter, and hate myself afterwards very often why I did use something so early.
Muirium wrote: What machine is powering that setup?
It is a MacBook with Retina screen, dated back to 2012 - the first iteration of the Retina MacBook. It is really a nice piece of hardware, I had to (let) change the display though, because lots of screens of the first models had ghost images like old screens in the 80s had. Until now it is powering up a lot of stuff I do, and especially the weight/size/power ratio and build quality is very nice!

Muirium
µ

20 Aug 2015, 14:53

I'd install the beta on an external drive and try it out that way. (I have it on a little old 64 gig SSD on the 5th Sata channel in my too awesome to be 9 years old Mac Pro. I needed to make sure my EFI hack still works with it. Success!) I've used it lightly with no problems. Others are apparently using it full time.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

My one complaint is they had to go and ditch Helvetica Neue so fast. The Mac looked so good in it! The new San Francisco font is fine (way better than Lucida Grande from OS X 10.0-10.9) but I liked getting the same font all over my display as is all over my keyboards!

ryanjun

20 Aug 2015, 19:08

My desktop at work.

I have to carry my laptop around a lot due to the nature of my job, and this is the best configuration I found over a year :
3041058938_153eac7a__DSC9225.jpg
3041058938_153eac7a__DSC9225.jpg (280.42 KiB) Viewed 5025 times

zslane

20 Aug 2015, 21:33

I get a chuckle out of some of these photos. You've got folks with lots of room for a keyboard using these dinky little 60%ers, while at the other extreme you've got people cramming those clunky old IBM keyboards with their oversized cases into workspaces with hardly enough room for them.

My computer desk at home has a decent amount of horizontal space (plenty wide enough for a full ANSI keyboard), but is short on front-to-back space, what with the KVM switch right in front of the monitor and all. Plus I need room for the wristpad (not pictured). That's why I love the recent trend in mechanical keyboards with their squared-off cases, narrow borders and tight footprint.
image.jpg
image.jpg (914.45 KiB) Viewed 4998 times

Hypersphere

20 Aug 2015, 22:07

Nice Dolch set! I have the same brand (Iogear) of KVM switch, but mine is the 4-computer model. I use it to share my mouse, keyboard, and speakers among 3 computers running different OSs. I use the hardware KVM in conjunction with Synergy as a software KVM. I don't use the video function of the KVM.

Since installing Windows 8.1 on my Windows machines, I've noticed that the KVM doesn't work as well as it did before. I am considering getting a DDM KVM, but it is annoying that it seems that only one company has the patent rights to DDM technology, which makes their KVMs very expensive.

Daniel

20 Aug 2015, 22:42

zslane wrote: I get a chuckle out of some of these photos. You've got folks with lots of room for a keyboard using these dinky little 60%ers, while at the other extreme you've got people cramming those clunky old IBM keyboards with their oversized cases into workspaces with hardly enough room for them.
I can only speak for me here, but I didn't switch to TKL as I didn't had enough room on my desk but for ergonomic reasons. Once I aligned the G and H keys to the middle of my screen, the mouse is way to far on the right side because of the number pad. Therefore switching to TKL was the best solution for me.

zslane

20 Aug 2015, 23:36

Interesting. Having had numpads on keyboards my entire life, I guess I'm just used to the mouse being approx 16-18" from the G/H center point.

I'm guessing that lefties don't have issues with numpads interfering with mouse position...

Halvar

21 Aug 2015, 00:01

That's true, as a leftie I was never so much interested in these. That said, I don't care for a numpad much either because I don't enter lots of numbers nowadays, so I'm happily going for the TKL for its relative compactness if I get the chance, like with a Model M SSK.

Return to “Gallery”