Post your desktop.

Madhias
BS TORPE

20 Jan 2017, 21:25

need

20 Jan 2017, 21:36

Madhias wrote: Image
I can see a lot of grain/noise in this photo, was it shot on film or just due to high ISO ?
Also was it your intention to out focus the HHKB logo?

Madhias
BS TORPE

21 Jan 2017, 05:17

It was just shot by hand with ISO 6400 in the dark room, with 100mm, focus should be somewhere in the middle of the HHKB.

smithyithy

24 Jan 2017, 21:18

My setup is constantly changing but this is a snap I got a couple weeks ago. I've had the iMac for 4 or 5 years but just built the PC etc in the last few months after moving away from console gaming (my first build). What was originally intended as 'buy a gaming keyboard and leave it at that' has since developed into this hobby.

Khers

24 Jan 2017, 21:25

That's a pretty large screen you've got there :)

Why have such a large PC on the desktop when there's so much space underneath?

smithyithy

24 Jan 2017, 21:29

I have a dog. He's savage :lol:

But no, basically to keep it cleaner and unmarked. I know that no matter how careful I am it'll get bumped if it's on the floor and attract more dust. Plus why have a nice window if I can't sit and look through it haha.

andrewjoy

25 Jan 2017, 18:03

That is bloody impressive for a first build , good job.

smithyithy

25 Jan 2017, 19:32

andrewjoy wrote: That is bloody impressive for a first build , good job.
Thanks, it was a really fun project, happy with how it came out too, performance has been excellent so far

Madhias
BS TORPE

25 Jan 2017, 20:12

That screen is really amazing! Must be like really being into a game when playing. I also had my PC for a very long time on the desktop, now not, because now the PC is inside a chest :)

Here's part of my desktop at work, where I switched to a 1800 after using a SSK for a long time (maybe about a year or more). I really have to find a use for the numpad again! But time will tell. I like that board.

zslane

25 Jan 2017, 20:16

smithyithy wrote: My setup is constantly changing but this is a snap I got a couple weeks ago. I've had the iMac for 4 or 5 years but just built the PC etc in the last few months after moving away from console gaming (my first build). What was originally intended as 'buy a gaming keyboard and leave it at that' has since developed into this hobby.

What model of monitor is that?

smithyithy

25 Jan 2017, 21:14

Thanks.

The monitor is an Acer XR342CK, so a 34" curved 21:9. The panel is 3440x1440 IPS, refresh rate is 75Hz.

It does support FreeSync / Adaptive Sync but not G-Sync so it doesn't pair up to my nVidia GPU fully in that regard.. But taking into account the games I play, I opted for the higher resolution and size over a high refresh rate 'gaming' monitor so to speak.

With V-Sync on, I can sit at 75fps / 75Hz all day on most games on Ultra / Very High. For games like Battlefield 1 I just let it run uncapped to reduce any input lag, it'll run multiplayer at 90fps on average.

It was on a flash sale too, main reason I bought it :lol:

zslane

25 Jan 2017, 21:46

Which nVidia card do you run it with?

I'm wondering if there is a wide, curved monitor out there that could take full advantage of a 1080 card and deliver a minimum of 90fps in iRacing. I simply don't have room for a triple-monitor setup...

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

25 Jan 2017, 21:50

zslane wrote: Which nVidia card do you run it with?
s/nVidia/NVIDIA/ :evil:

smithyithy

25 Jan 2017, 22:42

I'm wondering if there is a wide, curved monitor out there that could take full advantage of a 1080 card and deliver a minimum of 90fps in iRacing. I simply don't have room for a triple-monitor setup...
GTX 1080, it's a Palit Super Jetstream. Great card, big old beast but performs very well.

I would think so though, it depends what your requirements are and what you prioritise..

If you want to hit and maintain very high framerates rather than run a higher DPI resolution, then maybe look for a 2560x1080 monitor with G-Sync. That way you'll always get smooth frames with no tearing or stuttering.

You can get a 3440x1440 like mine with G-Sync that will run at 144Hz I believe, but it's still costs an arm and a leg. But I think even a GTX 1080 will struggle to run a lot of games at that resolution AND framerate, especially the current crop of AAA games at highest settings.

3440x1440 is like 80% more pixels so you'll definitely take a framerate hit, but I prefer the higher resolution and detail on the type of games I play so long as I can hit at least 60fps, whereas for something like a racing game (especially sim racing) I'd want higher framerates for sure.

andrewjoy

26 Jan 2017, 13:28

smithyithy wrote:

GTX 1080, it's a Palit Super Jetstream. Great card, big old beast but performs very well.

I would think so though, it depends what your requirements are and what you prioritise..

If you want to hit and maintain very high framerates rather than run a higher DPI resolution, then maybe look for a 2560x1080 monitor with G-Sync. That way you'll always get smooth frames with no tearing or stuttering.

You can get a 3440x1440 like mine with G-Sync that will run at 144Hz I believe, but it's still costs an arm and a leg. But I think even a GTX 1080 will struggle to run a lot of games at that resolution AND framerate, especially the current crop of AAA games at highest settings.

3440x1440 is like 80% more pixels so you'll definitely take a framerate hit, but I prefer the higher resolution and detail on the type of games I play so long as I can hit at least 60fps, whereas for something like a racing game (especially sim racing) I'd want higher framerates for sure.
I am waiting on the 1080ti , my poor 980ti cannot handle 4k 60 with everything maxed out

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Jan 2017, 13:31

andrewjoy wrote: I am waiting on the 1080ti , my poor 980ti cannot handle 4k 60 with everything maxed out
You hipsters! I'm still content with my Sapphire HD 7950 OC. Of course I'm not running any giant screens at huge resolutions.

andrewjoy

26 Jan 2017, 14:40

4k at 40 inch is just right for a monitor !

seebart

26 Jan 2017, 14:43

andrewjoy wrote: 4k at 40 inch is just right for a monitor !
:P Oh sure except I need to drop like 4k $$$ to buy one...

andrewjoy

26 Jan 2017, 14:48

nope about 500 GBP ,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iiyama-X4071UH ... B016UPDKIW

Its very good , but mine has developed a little bit of ghosting , will have to get a replacement.

seebart

26 Jan 2017, 14:51

andrewjoy wrote: nope about 500 GBP ,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iiyama-X4071UH ... B016UPDKIW

Its very good , but mine has developed a little bit of ghosting , will have to get a replacement.
Yeah I saw that before, actually it's slightly cheaper in Germany if available.

ohaimark
Kingpin

26 Jan 2017, 15:31

I'm waiting for OLEDs to become affordable and available in smaller sizes.

derzemel

26 Jan 2017, 16:18

ohaimark wrote: I'm waiting for OLEDs to become affordable and available in smaller sizes.
we will not see OLED computer monitors soon. The burn-in issues are too big for them

ohaimark
Kingpin

26 Jan 2017, 16:37

At the very least I want quantum dot to move forward. I expect OLED will become viable eventually, though. Display strobing would probably do the trick.

kekstee

26 Jan 2017, 18:26

Yeah, not really excited about any monitor you can buy currently. Maybe HDR will change that.
Recently got a used PA271w which was relatively cheap and delivers with picture quality/uniformity at least.
I'd rather not touch a gaming monitor before those things look good next to an accurate one.

Slom

26 Jan 2017, 19:09

zslane wrote: I love that photo, Slom.

It turns the usual tiny-keyboard-in-front-of-huge-monitor meme on its head. The only possible way to improve on that would be to have an F122 hooked up to an iPhone.
someday ...
beamphone.JPG
beamphone.JPG (419.11 KiB) Viewed 5989 times

zslane

26 Jan 2017, 19:24

Perfect!

Slom

28 Jan 2017, 12:31

and the inverse ...
DSC01076.JPG
DSC01076.JPG (556.55 KiB) Viewed 5915 times

smithyithy

28 Jan 2017, 13:21

Tidy! 8-)

zslane

28 Jan 2017, 16:48

And equally ridiculous.

But that is a lovely photo! Nice photography skillz, brah.

seebart

28 Jan 2017, 17:16

Slom wrote:
zslane wrote: I love that photo, Slom.

It turns the usual tiny-keyboard-in-front-of-huge-monitor meme on its head. The only possible way to improve on that would be to have an F122 hooked up to an iPhone.
someday ...
beamphone.JPG
Yes, perfect symbiosis of old and new technology! I need to try that with my Displaywriter and a tablet sometime.

Return to “Gallery”