Post your desktop.

Slom

28 Jan 2017, 22:03

smithyithy wrote: Tidy! 8-)
zslane wrote: And equally ridiculous.

But that is a lovely photo! Nice photography skillz, brah.
Thanks folks.

And don't worry about my desk ... it will be back in working order in short time. With all the little notepads, pens, USB sticks, my camera, some phones and whatnot taking over the horrible empty space :geek:

ohaimark
Kingpin

29 Jan 2017, 22:49

HAL

29 Jan 2017, 23:39

very nice ANSIfied AT keyboard

ohaimark
Kingpin

30 Jan 2017, 00:48

Thanks!

yangdaddy

31 Jan 2017, 01:42

just found this thread and dig it! it's nice to place a battlestation with the keyboards. thanks to khers for encouraging me to post more, so here goes mine:
Attachments
BattleStation.jpg
BattleStation.jpg (4.14 MiB) Viewed 5281 times

andrewjoy

31 Jan 2017, 18:11

That AEK is fantastic , your desk looks a bit , well loved :) it could use a bit of oil to bring out the grain a bit :)

yangdaddy

31 Jan 2017, 19:14

andrewjoy wrote: That AEK is fantastic , your desk looks a bit , well loved :) it could use a bit of oil to bring out the grain a bit :)
Thank you! I've been on the hunt for a super clean unyellowed AEK for the last several years, and that is the cleanest one out of 7 I have picked up. A lot of times it looks pretty good in pictures only to be a little disappointed when I get it. It's much easier to find clean AEK IIs.

Love your euphemistic compliment on the desk! It's actually an old table that I enlisted into desk service, as I like having a lot of desk real estate and that seemed perfect. Yours is also a excellent suggestion. I actually just used boiled linseed oil on our dining room table for the first time ever and was blown away by how great it looked. Hadn't even thought to do it to my desk, but I shall for sure... just need to clean it off :roll:

zslane

31 Jan 2017, 19:38

Here's what my work desk looks like now:
Attachments
RealForce RGB w/ Round 6 Space Cadet and Vortex Pok3r RGB with Round 4 SPH
RealForce RGB w/ Round 6 Space Cadet and Vortex Pok3r RGB with Round 4 SPH
IMG_0509.JPG (2.46 MiB) Viewed 5211 times

gogusrl

31 Jan 2017, 22:27

What's that mouse ? I like the form.

zslane

31 Jan 2017, 22:47

Khers

01 Feb 2017, 10:03

yangdaddy wrote: just found this thread and dig it! it's nice to place a battlestation with the keyboards. thanks to khers for encouraging me to post more, so here goes mine:
Nice desk, yangdaddy! Just cluttered enough for people to know you're working :)

I agree with andrew; that is one amazingly clean AEK you've got. What a nice keyboard!

andrewjoy

01 Feb 2017, 11:05

yangdaddy wrote: Love your euphemistic compliment on the desk! It's actually an old table that I enlisted into desk service, as I like having a lot of desk real estate and that seemed perfect. Yours is also a excellent suggestion. I actually just used boiled linseed oil on our dining room table for the first time ever and was blown away by how great it looked.

It does offer good results , if you have more time and somewhere to do it i personally prefer danish oil ( its basically linseed oil with some very thin varnish in it ). What this does is allows the wood to absorb the varnish, protecting the wood whist still giving it that awesome look of linseed oil, it gives a bit of a shine to it depending on how many layers you add.

I am soon to build a new desk from the solid butcher block worktops Ikea sell. I am going for multiple coats of danish oil and then i will wax the surface with some Briwax https://briwax.co.uk/epages/b7024784-9a ... W050master ( i like rustic pine ) To further protect the surface , this should also fill in any minor scuffs and small holes and make the surface very smooth.

Everything i know about wood finishes i know from this guy on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFwWrAq47io

I mean look at the finish on this dining table he built , fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cGauc7juAE

yangdaddy

02 Feb 2017, 05:47

Khers wrote:
yangdaddy wrote: just found this thread and dig it! it's nice to place a battlestation with the keyboards. thanks to khers for encouraging me to post more, so here goes mine:
Nice desk, yangdaddy! Just cluttered enough for people to know you're working :)

I agree with andrew; that is one amazingly clean AEK you've got. What a nice keyboard!
Thanks Khers! and to think, I used to have a good case of OCD. Now I'm just cluttered everywhere.

And thanks for noticing the clean AEK. So hard to find them unyellowed. It's one of my most favorite boards. The only thing that bugs me is that it is pretty well used. The previous owner kept it covered all the time, but used the hell out of it. I have another AEK that is barely touched, but must have been left out on a sunny desk a lot, as it is deeply yellowed. What are ya gonna do?

yangdaddy

02 Feb 2017, 06:22

andrewjoy wrote:
yangdaddy wrote: Love your euphemistic compliment on the desk! It's actually an old table that I enlisted into desk service, as I like having a lot of desk real estate and that seemed perfect. Yours is also a excellent suggestion. I actually just used boiled linseed oil on our dining room table for the first time ever and was blown away by how great it looked.

It does offer good results , if you have more time and somewhere to do it i personally prefer danish oil ( its basically linseed oil with some very thin varnish in it ). What this does is allows the wood to absorb the varnish, protecting the wood whist still giving it that awesome look of linseed oil, it gives a bit of a shine to it depending on how many layers you add.

I am soon to build a new desk from the solid butcher block worktops Ikea sell. I am going for multiple coats of danish oil and then i will wax the surface with some Briwax https://briwax.co.uk/epages/b7024784-9a ... W050master ( i like rustic pine ) To further protect the surface , this should also fill in any minor scuffs and small holes and make the surface very smooth.

Everything i know about wood finishes i know from this guy on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFwWrAq47io

I mean look at the finish on this dining table he built , fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cGauc7juAE

Ah, man those are fantastic links! I will dig up some Danish oil as well as try out the Briwax, but that Rag N Bone guy's great! Love how much great info can be found on youtube. Of course it's not always easy to find, so I appreciate a good recommendation very much.

Thanks dude!

Thanks very much!

Madhias
BS TORPE

02 Feb 2017, 10:51

I also watched now the wood finishing videos, great information. At least I know now that I really prefer the more natural wood look than this oiled finish, which is for my taste mostly too saturated.

Medowy

06 Feb 2017, 11:52

Muh desk

yangdaddy

08 Feb 2017, 18:18

Medowy wrote: Muh desk

Ah, nice set up. I particularly like your audio equipment - headphones, speakers and mic. Nice!

PollandAkuma

17 Feb 2017, 15:13

Trying this out

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

08 Mar 2017, 22:42

So here's my new setup. Had my 16 yr old son weld up some custom adjustable wall mounts for me and it turned out great. Both monitors are adjustable and don't interfere with anything on the desk. They can be parked against the wall as well if needed, which is nice for moving the desk around for cleaning.
Attachments
Desktop 1a.jpg
Desktop 1a.jpg (163.71 KiB) Viewed 4879 times
Desktop 2a.jpg
Desktop 2a.jpg (148.22 KiB) Viewed 4879 times
Desktop 3a.jpg
Desktop 3a.jpg (174.44 KiB) Viewed 4879 times

zslane

08 Mar 2017, 23:08

I'm getting to the age where I need 32" televisions as my computer monitors too. Oy.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Mar 2017, 23:17

Ooh, I like that monitor setup and versatility.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

08 Mar 2017, 23:27

zslane wrote: I'm getting to the age where I need 32" televisions as my computer monitors too. Oy.

These are 43" Vizio 4k Home Theater monitors. I'm loving the view and can't figure out how I managed to be productive working in 19"-24" portholes over the last 20 years. I initially wanted something in the 32"-40" range but couldn't find anything reasonable in 4k. I'm real happy with these so far.

Slom

09 Mar 2017, 07:46

This is really awesome :) are those panels glossy?

andrewjoy

09 Mar 2017, 11:03

Preview of new office.
IMG_20170228_212933.jpg
IMG_20170228_212933.jpg (154.84 KiB) Viewed 4842 times

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

09 Mar 2017, 15:46

What kind of chair is that andrewjoy?

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

09 Mar 2017, 15:49

Slom wrote: This is really awesome :) are those panels glossy?
Yes they are glossy, like a clean window. They are angled down a few degrees so there is no glare or reflection

andrewjoy

09 Mar 2017, 16:09

Thats an ikea markus

for the price i don't know of a better new chair.

Its very nice , i would however put some thread locker on the screws that hold the arms on. They can work loose over time

i was going to boast about my 4k 40 inch monitor but you one up me at monitors :(

Phenix
-p

09 Mar 2017, 16:15

rsbseb wrote:
Yes they are glossy, like a clean window. They are angled down a few degrees so there is no glare or reflection
Which parts did you used for making the wall mount? (and cost?)

I am using an 27" 4K LG with an ergotron monitor arm (similar to yours), but wonder if it can be done cheaper
rsbseb wrote:
zslane wrote: I'm getting to the age where I need 32" televisions as my computer monitors too. Oy.

These are 43" Vizio 4k Home Theater monitors. I'm loving the view and can't figure out how I managed to be productive working in 19"-24" portholes over the last 20 years. I initially wanted something in the 32"-40" range but couldn't find anything reasonable in 4k. I'm real happy with these so far.
andrewjoy wrote:Thats an ikea markus

Its very nice , i would however put some thread locker on the screws that hold the arms on. They can work loose over time

i was going to boast about my 4k 40 inch monitor but you one up me at monitors :(

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

09 Mar 2017, 16:53

Phenix wrote:
rsbseb wrote:
Which parts did you used for making the wall mount? (and cost?)

I am using an 27" 4K LG with an ergotron monitor arm (similar to yours), but wonder if it can be done cheaper

The arms are made from 1"x3" rectangular tubing, the pivots are 1-1/2" conduit with 1-3/8" radial bearings. There is also a 1-3/8" machine bushing and two #18 O-rings installed at each pivot to provide tension.
My total cost was about $200 usd for materials, most of which was bearings because I bought them off the shelf locally a 3.50 a piece. I was in a hurry otherwise I would have ordered them much less. Definitely cheaper than an Ergotron. I couldn't find anything that fit my application (my long arm has a 60" reach) so I didn't really have an option other than something custom.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

09 Mar 2017, 16:57

andrewjoy wrote: Thats an ikea markus

What monitor are you using? I may be setting up a second desk with a single 40" before to long for my office manager.

Return to “Gallery”