Bass's vintage keyboard haul, round 3

Bass

23 Jun 2018, 00:40

So a lot of you have seen my previous hauls (1, 2) where I found a lot of beamsprings. I got several requests to go back since I mentioned that there were lots of other terminal keyboards to be found, so I have and managed to snag a few interesting things. As always, sorry for the potato pictures. I should be spending my money on a new phone instead of all these old keyboards...

First, I promised that there would be a microswitch keyboard, and I managed to find this beauty very well hidden underneath a bunch of other stuff. Behold, a Decision Data 8010 keypunch with blue keycaps!
Spoiler:
Here's another shot showing off the underside of a glorious thick honeywell keycap:
Spoiler:
I also got another beamspring, this time a displaywriter. As you can see it's quite dirty and the lock key doesn't return properly. Don't know if the spring is rusted or straight up missing somehow, but all the other keys feel and click just like my other beamsprings. This one is not for sale, I plan to make it part of my personal collection after I get it all cleaned up.
Spoiler:

Next, a Televideo Model 925. Out of all the keyboards I just tried this was probably my least favorite in terms of feel, the switches were VERY stiff and felt a little scratchy to me, though it might be really dirty on the inside for all I know. However the keycaps are amazing, perhaps some of the thickest I have ever seen.
Spoiler:
No idea what model this is, though I do know that the switches are Alps SKCC Green. Never tried them before but I do say they live up to their reputation: Smooth and very pingy. I quite like them overall. Unfortunately some of the keycaps were snapped off along with the stems still attached, although at least they were still included in a bag next to the board when I purchased it.
Spoiler:
Finally the least interesting of the bunch, a Wyse WY-50. I happened to own another one but this one is in much better shape, practically like new. It was sealed in plastic wrap unlike virtually everything else I found here. I still contend that Vintage MX blacks are good but overrated, and prefer linear Alps switches.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Bass on 23 Jun 2018, 02:51, edited 2 times in total.

Ir0n

23 Jun 2018, 00:46

Your Decision Data has way cooler caps than the one I have...that and mine is missing over half of them. Lmao
Those switches feel really nice I actually really like them.

neat finds :)

Myoth

23 Jun 2018, 01:26

the displaywriter's lock switch is not broken, it's got a latching action, press shift and it'll push the lock switch up, meaning that you can't shift when caps lock is locked, clever engineering :D

Tha_Pig

23 Jun 2018, 01:32

Those are beautiful, especially the first one. Where you find them?

samuelcable

23 Jun 2018, 01:36

Holy shit, ive never seen those ridiculous led version of skcc in a keyboard before! nice finds all together!

Bass

23 Jun 2018, 01:41

Myoth wrote: the displaywriter's lock switch is not broken, it's got a latching action, press shift and it'll push the lock switch up, meaning that you can't shift when caps lock is locked, clever engineering :D
You are right, thanks for informing me! Guess I still have plenty to learn about beamsprings. Now at least I can have some peace of mind. :D

JP!

23 Jun 2018, 21:47

Man you're building quite the collection. I love those Honeywell caps.

green-squid

23 Jun 2018, 22:55

Bass is really KILLING IT with these vintage finds! 8-)

Bass

24 Jun 2018, 00:18

Tha_Pig wrote: Those are beautiful, especially the first one. Where you find them?
I found them at an electronics surplus warehouse. For a second the employee who sold me the Decision Data 8010 thought that it was actually an IBM 029, which would have really made my day as I heard the keycaps on those are beamspring compatible. Of course I did confirm later that it wasn't, but I was still very happy to have a honeywell keyboard of my own.

Because it was unusually dirty even compared to the rest of the boards in the haul and the fact that it was inherently more special by virtue of being a beamspring, I decided to give the displaywriter a very quick clean.

Other than the case having some grime / scratches that I wasn't able to get off, I was actually very happy with the condition this thing was in. Almost no rust at all other than some light corrosion on the spacebar clips which I easily sanded off. It probably needs new foam if I ever plan to seriously use it but as a part of my collection I think it's more than good enough in the condition it is in. I have a spare solenoid lying around so perhaps I might get around to converting it one day when I feel bored enough ;)

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

24 Jun 2018, 15:11

Bass wrote: First, I promised that there would be a microswitch keyboard, and I managed to find this beauty very well hidden underneath a bunch of other stuff. Behold, a Decision Data 8010 keypunch with blue keycaps!
Spoiler:
Hey I got that same keyboard about a month ago! Yours looks infinitely cooler with those sweet caps though!

depletedvespene

25 Jun 2018, 01:27

Bass wrote:

Other than the case having some grime / scratches that I wasn't able to get off, I was actually very happy with the condition this thing was in. Almost no rust at all other than some light corrosion on the spacebar clips which I easily sanded off. It probably needs new foam if I ever plan to seriously use it but as a part of my collection I think it's more than good enough in the condition it is in. I have a spare solenoid lying around so perhaps I might get around to converting it one day when I feel bored enough ;)
Color me envious.

Mr.Nobody

28 Jun 2018, 02:39

US of A is the best place to hunt vintage boards like those...many vintage boards have shown up in Chinese dumpsters recently, however, no beamers.

Slom

07 Jul 2018, 11:54

Bass wrote: First, I promised that there would be a microswitch keyboard, and I managed to find this beauty very well hidden underneath a bunch of other stuff. Behold, a Decision Data 8010 keypunch with blue keycaps!
Hey brother :) Glad you got back and rescued this beauty
Spoiler:
DSC02220.JPG
DSC02220.JPG (262.55 KiB) Viewed 3346 times

Return to “Gallery”