Potter Instrument KDR/KB 3100A (Micro Switch 51RW1-2)

Noobmaen

24 Aug 2018, 20:27

While procrastinating the restoration of the IBM 4978 due to the mental and physical pain caused by removing the especially tight metal stem inserts, I got this keyboard with the help of a community member: A 1970 Micro Switch magnetic reed keyboard, possibly made for a key punch or early terminal. Thanks again, pngu!

I have been looking to get a Micro Switch keyboard for a long time, but they are rather scarce outside the US, and usually fetch quite high prices. I expected to find a SD board, or maybe even SW, but never would have imagined to find the much rarer RW switch.

ImageIMG_2901 dirty keyboard

The board was very dusty when I got it, yet the switches were relatively smooth with a nice weighting similar to mx black. I will probably desolder a few for further cleaning to see whether it will improve anything. The case is made out of ~1.6mm steel, bent and welded at the edges. I don't have a working scale at the moment, but I guess the weight to be around 4-5kg.

Due to the sensing being conductive, it shouldn't be very difficult to create a replacement controller, or so I thought at least, until I noticed the absence of a traditional sensing matrix; instead, every switch shares a common connection on one pin, and an individual connection each on the other pin. This array of key positions then connects to a PCB with a matrix of diodes (which looks wonderful thanks to the gold plated traces), which appears to translate the one dimensional encoding of the sensing into a matrix. Ideally I would want to convert it in a least destructive way, which might just be handwiring in this case.

For now, here are 45 pictures of the mostly cleaned up keyboard in various states of disassembly on flickr.

ImageIMG_2980

ImageIMG_2985

ImageIMG_2939

ImageIMG_2951

ImageIMG_2942

ImageIMG_2963

ImageIMG_2964

ImageIMG_2965

ImageIMG_2959

Lanrefni

24 Aug 2018, 21:06

Those keycaps are beautiful.

Muirium
µ

24 Aug 2018, 23:31

Yup. A real looker in that department. The Futura legended sci-fi going on up top is pretty, too. And then there’s that PCB trace art…

They just don’t make them like this, anywhere, in any way, any more.

digital_matthew

25 Aug 2018, 00:32

Simply glorious. It looks like it came off of the original Enterprise. Are you sure it's not from the future?

JP!

25 Aug 2018, 01:32

:o

codemonkeymike

25 Aug 2018, 01:54

oozes 70's class

Niko1U

26 Aug 2018, 00:33

that thing looks super cool

clickboyclick

26 Aug 2018, 16:00

"MICRO SWITCH" and its the size of 15inch laptop lol. But seriously I can't imagine what its like to use it for data

Sangdrax

30 Aug 2018, 03:15

Jesus, look at those stepped attenuators attached to the dials. You could run the volume in a balanced amp off something with all those channels.

And the cap colors. Kickass.

Return to “Gallery”