IBM Model F Unsaver - Part Number 1386965

Bass

28 Aug 2018, 11:00

Introduction
This keyboard itself needs no introduction, it's perhaps among the rarest and most highly sought after Model F variants out there, an Unsaver!

Due to the relatively compact layout (with respect to its larger brother the F122) and terminal keyboard aesthetic, the Unsaver is without a doubt my favorite Model F. Although I have been into mechanical keyboards for many years, I have regrettably ignored buckling spring keyboards until somewhat recently, so like many other I didn't have a chance to get one when people like Cindy and Ellipse were able to find a bunch and then sell them to us at (relatively) sane prices. Nowadays most people who are lucky enough to own one are unwilling to sell them for even the $1k+ they currently go for, instead only willing to get rid of them in trades for even rarer boards like Kishsavers or certain beamspring models. Because I was lucky enough to obtain the latter, I was in turn perhaps even more fortunate to have the pleasure of using an Unsaver as one of my main daily drivers for the past few months:

The Acquisition
I should have been more than content with my keyboard situation. But just recently I engaged in perhaps the most ridiculous impulse buy of my life. A seller on r/mechmarket suddenly put a whopping 3 Unsavers for sale. And they were quite unlike the Unsavers we usually see, with gray integrated numpad sublegends in the alpha-numeric row (a bit like on an SSK) and various other keycaps with blue and red dye-sub legends. On top of that, all of these boards were in essentially mint condition. Initially I wasn't exactly sure if they were NIB or factory refurbished but as of right now I am pretty sure it's the latter, which I will explain why in more detail later. Here is a good picture of one of these Unsavers (part number 1386965) posted by the seller:

Anyways, how did I come to be the recipient of one of these boards? As it turns out, this seller actually originally found these 8 months ago and posted the above picture on r/mk. He had little knowledge of Model F's and was unaware of the significance of what he found being a rare (in this case never before seen in the community as far as I am aware of) part number of a very rare and desirable vintage keyboard. It did not take him long to immediately post it on r/mechmarket after commenters in that thread informed him about the APL one that sold on ebay not too long ago. However his post broke several rules and he seemingly disappeared... until just recently.

Only a small number of people on DT were aware of this until it was also posted in the Great and Interesting Finds thread which was when I found out about it. At that point two were already sold in spite of the sky high asking price of $1950+shipping! Like a few others I tried testing my luck by trying to arrange a trade with another valuable board (a beamspring in this case) since I really did not want to burn $2k out of my wallet, but I reacquainted myself with the seller's past antics and became certain that he'd much prefer the money over a trade. And, I told myself that I could sell a beamspring from my collection to make up for the expense. So out of impulse, I frantically backtracked my previous offer immediately and just offered the cash straight up, and secured my board. At over $2k shipped, it's by far the most expensive keyboard purchase I have ever made. With all attributes considered (rare part number, rare keyboard, and mint condition), it's not exactly overpriced in terms of market value, but it is an absurd amount to spend on any keyboard that's not a space cadet. It's a completely irrational decision that I am sure other people will curse me for as it will only reinforce the current market value for this keyboard which is simply out of reach for a lot of people. I should be frantically figuring out which other boards in my collection I should sell to make up for the hole this one burned in my wallet rather than wasting my time typing this write-up, but I'd rather do that than silently disappear into the sunset like most high-value buyers tend to do.

Unboxing
Anyways, after purchasing this keyboard the seller informed me that the box these came in provided very little protection for the board. Since I also wanted the box, this meant that the seller had to package the board in its original box inside another absurdly large box. Even I was shocked by the sheer size of the thing when it arrived to me:
The box to the right is the one that my current monitor (a 43" 4K display) came in to give you an idea of scale. Here is how the unboxing proceeded:
Spoiler:
The most notable thing about these boxes is that they are not IBM branded, but rather two other companies are written down: DakTech, a company which originally started off as an IBM parts distributor in the early 90's, and United Systems, an OKC IT company with a partnership with IBM. Since the seller was located in OK, I am guessing this is where he sourced them from, and it perhaps would help explain the unusual legends and part number of the keyboard.

Initial Impressions
With the keyboard unboxed, the first thing I had to ascertain was its external condition. The first thing I noticed was that the keycaps were extremely rough even compared to my other buckling spring keyboards, so I am certain that it received almost no use. That's not to say all the other Model M's and F's I own have smooth shiny caps, but they are still noticeably less rough compared to these. The front printed red sublegends were also gorgeous to look at up close. Other than that, they are 2-piece keycaps just like other terminal buckling spring keyboards.
Spoiler:
However in spite of these great things this keyboard did have a noticeable flaw: A hairline crack above the number row:

This was something that I was a little disappointed about, but it's also a common occurrence in these terminal model F's in particular. This chassis is still in considerably better shape than my other Unsaver.

Full Teardown and ANSI Mod
Although one would argue that I should treat this board as a rare collectible rather than a daily driver given its uniqueness and the price I paid, I couldn't pass up the chance to try out a mint condition buckling spring experience. I also needed an excuse to open it up and examine the condition internally. For these reasons I wasted no time in getting this board ANSI modded. At this point I have taken apart and ANSI modded a few other Model F's (thanks to fohat's excellent guide of course) so I was well prepared this time. It ended up being slightly more difficult than my other Unsaver as for some reason it took me considerably more time to properly mount the keycaps onto the springs, but was a fairly straightforward exercise otherwise.
Spoiler:
And it goes without saying that the internal condition of this board was pretty much as flawless as you can get for a Model F. The barrel plate was rust free and the foam hadn't degraded at all.

NIB or Factory Refurbished?
We now return to one of the initial questions that I had when I first acquired this keyboard, which is whether or not it is legitimately NIB or factory refurbished. Although I am not 100% positive, all of the above evidence has lead me to believe that this unit was factory refurbished, most likely by Lexmark. The biggest thing that stands out to me is the DakTech branding on the box, a company which was not established until the 1990's. The model sticker on the back of the keyboard also shows a 1985 manufacture date, over five years earlier. Another peculiar thing you might notice in these pictures is that the part number changes slightly when examining the sticker on the back plate instead of the bottom pan (1386964). I heard it's a common practice for companies to use separate part numbers for replacement units, so it is possible that 1386964 is the original part number while 1386965 is the replacement part number.

Final Thoughts
Call me a hoarder, but this ended up being a pretty fun and interesting experience, even though the board lived up to its name in terms of what it did to my wallet. Am I lucky, foolish, or both? Who knows? I'll end this post off with a family photo with both my Unsavers:

Thanks for reading! This entire post was typed entirely on this Unsaver which is currently plugged into my PC with a Soarer's converter cable.

xueyao

28 Aug 2018, 11:07

You now possess one of the most expensive vintage keyboard collections in the world. I'm beyond impressed

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Chyros

28 Aug 2018, 11:19

TWO Unsavers. Jaysis Fookencroist xD .

One thing I've been wondering about actually; how long is it? I mean, sure, it's a small battleship, but that's not saying much xD .

Bass

28 Aug 2018, 11:46

xueyao wrote: You now possess one of the most expensive vintage keyboard collections in the world. I'm beyond impressed

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I'd say this particular Unsaver and the blue keyed selectric I I previously found are by far the most unique parts of my current collection. Other than that I think there are plenty of people with arguably much more impressive collections than me around here :lol:
Chyros wrote: TWO Unsavers. Jaysis Fookencroist xD .

One thing I've been wondering about actually; how long is it? I mean, sure, it's a small battleship, but that's not saying much xD .
Believe it or not there are at least a few other people lurking on here that own two Unsavers. The person who gave me the other one in a trade was previously one of them ;)

Anyways it's 47.5 cm long, which ironically makes it longer than some full sized boards and almost as long as a standard Model M. Unsaver indeed!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

28 Aug 2018, 13:28

I can't believe what these boards are going for these days. :o

The 'B' part of the IBM name - "Business" - means that IBM was making all sorts of one off products for all sorts of customers in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Anyone who could afford a custom contract with Big Blue could have products - including keyboards - tailor made to their needs. I've only seen a very limited amount of information about these contracts. Most of what we know is reverse engineered from remaining product. Most of the primary sources are probably trashed, shredded, or simply lost to the ages.

JP!

28 Aug 2018, 14:19

Are you planning on letting one of these go...perhaps to me? ;)

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

28 Aug 2018, 18:29

Absolutely stunning! Thanks for doing a write-up about it and for the pics! Good work on the ANSI mod!

darkcruix

28 Aug 2018, 19:48

Great post — Enjoyed reading through it!

My F122 has one piece keycaps btw.

depletedvespene

28 Aug 2018, 23:15

darkcruix wrote: My F122 has one piece keycaps btw.
That's pretty odd. Replacements, perhaps? Are all of them so? Even the ones that are obviously for terminal keyboards, like ¢/! ?

Muirium
µ

28 Aug 2018, 23:23

Two Unsavers… Well, throw enough money at the problem, and ye shall find!

I think my wee collection has some of the highest bang for the buck. The most money I’ve ever paid for a keyboard was my workhorse HHKB Type-S (Amazon Japan, proxied by a friend) and I have a 3278 (formerly two), an NIB SSK, and a Kishsaver. I did have a lead on an APL Unsaver at one point but it just cost too much for me. Apparently it would have been a great investment!

So which is more expensive nowadays: an Unsaver or an industrial SSK?

depletedvespene

28 Aug 2018, 23:26

Muirium wrote: So which is more expensive nowadays: an Unsaver or an industrial SSK?
I'm kinda hoping this unsaver sets the upper limit. :?

Now, if an Industrial ISO SSK with APL keys shows up, all bets will be off!

Muirium
µ

28 Aug 2018, 23:33

The best APL is beamspring APL. Tripleshots, say no more.
Spoiler:
Of all the unobtainium boards, I’ve got the one I want. The Kishsaver is a wee gem, and second nature to me as an HHKB regular. Unsavers, and their F122 big brothers, are just too damn big for me. Even the svelte wee Kishy is as big as a modern TKL!

Chyros

28 Aug 2018, 23:48

Muirium wrote: The best APL is beamspring APL. Tripleshots, say no more.
Spoiler:
Of all the unobtainium boards, I’ve got the one I want. The Kishsaver is a wee gem, and second nature to me as an HHKB regular. Unsavers, and their F122 big brothers, are just too damn big for me. Even the svelte wee Kishy is as big as a modern TKL!
Oof. Now that's shmexy.

Bass

29 Aug 2018, 00:10

Muirium wrote: The best APL is beamspring APL. Tripleshots, say no more.
Spoiler:
I found two of those APL beamsprings actually for under $100 each, and I traded both of them, one of which for the other Unsaver pictured here and a 5576-003. Triple shot keycaps are quite cool, but I wanted the Unsaver more. If I could have seen the future and realized that I'd have a chance at getting this one, perhaps I would have just kept the APL beamspring, but ah well.

So to anyone else who wants one of mine, I'd probably consider doing it for Kishsaver or maybe a beamspring model I don't currently have (eg a mini 3277), but the former could be a longshot. Otherwise I am not sure if I want to part with it.

sleepy916

31 Aug 2018, 06:47

Awesome unsaver! truly jealous! :)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

31 Aug 2018, 21:04

Very nice indeed, much nicer than mine!

Return to “Gallery”