IBM Model M With Hybrid Terminal Keys

JP!

11 Sep 2018, 01:30

Although the IBM Model M is ubiquitous among many keyboard aficionados, perhaps to the point where seeing yet another beige keyboard might be uninteresting to some (hey they made millions of the damn things :lol: ) there seems to be one recurring motif—the sense of unending variation including different layouts, case colors, model numbers, logos, and custom key caps. Essentially something new or interesting is bound to show up. This one fits that mold with it's oddball key caps reminiscent of the terminal systems of the past yet designed for use with a PC.

I picked this IBM Model M last winter from someone I met locally who was selling the possessions of a relative who had passed away. Take heed of this warning. :!: The person who passed was a bit of a hoarder but this was the only vintage mech I found. It was missing a couple keys which proved to be difficult to track down. Today I am glad to say it is now a complete set, at least to my knowledge. I've only actually seen two of these besides mine and they were also missing a couple key caps. I was missing a function key but a partial set happened to show up on eBay recently. Also thanks to //gainsborough for trading me for the oddball "Alt / Reset" key from which I was able to add the finishing touches.
1.JPG
1.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 2293 times
Nice blue legends.
Spoiler:
2.JPG
2.JPG (1004.73 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Part number.
Spoiler:
3.JPG
3.JPG (161.4 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Replacement keys.
Spoiler:
4.jpg
4.jpg (612.71 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Last edited by JP! on 11 Sep 2018, 05:41, edited 2 times in total.

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

11 Sep 2018, 01:39

Looks awesome, dude! Glad I could help! Thanks for the F keys I was missing for my f122 =)

JP!

11 Sep 2018, 01:47

//gainsborough wrote: Looks awesome, dude! Glad I could help! Thanks for the F keys I was missing for my f122 =)
No prob :D . Can't wait to see what layout you come up with for the other 12 function keys.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

11 Sep 2018, 03:22

That's one of the cleanest IBM bottom labels I've ever seen. Great job on the cleanup/restoration.

JP!

11 Sep 2018, 03:39

Techno Trousers wrote: That's one of the cleanest IBM bottom labels I've ever seen. Great job on the cleanup/restoration.
Honestly that's how I got it, never cleaned. It even smells new.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

11 Sep 2018, 04:13

Even better!

OldIsNew

18 Sep 2018, 05:12

Very cool! There's just something about a Model M. The numpad keys, in particular, are outstanding!

zrrion

19 Sep 2018, 01:34

Only thing left is to get a hold of some wheelwriter caps with the green legends and go to town :p

JP!

19 Sep 2018, 01:40

zrrion wrote: Only thing left is to get a hold of some wheelwriter caps with the green legends and go to town :p
Haha yeah. I have those.

JP!

19 Sep 2018, 03:03

Also since my Wheel Writer wasn't handy I did this. APL keys are dirty and my lighting and camera are crap.
Spoiler:
apl.JPG
apl.JPG (708.3 KiB) Viewed 1958 times

Return to “Gallery”