- Location: United States
- Main keyboard: IBM Model F104 "Unsaver"
- Main mouse: Logitech G9x
- Favorite switch: Beamspring / Capacitive Buckling Spring
- DT Pro Member: 0206
A great find indeed. What's more, this one has data entry style keycaps, which are also less common. I have seen some F122's with them, but never on an Unsaver so far! Would you mind sharing the part number underneath the keyboard?
- Location: US
- DT Pro Member: -
I used these terminals many years ago as a mainframe console operator. We had lots of old school IBM terminals with the awesome beam spring keys and solenoids but this IBM plasma was my favorite terminal. We operated it in a 4-screen split style, with each console assigned to a different VM (the mainframe ran VM/ESA operating system). I would fly around between the screens kicking off various batch jobs and watching output. The amber plasma glow was a delight to look at in our dark operations command center on those lonely 3rd shift nights. And the keyboard was absolutely fantastic to type on. To this day I want to find one and figure out a way to use it as a Linux tty terminal somehow at home, but I think last time I looked into it years ago it was unfeasible. I would love to be proven wrong...
I was hoping I'd be able to put together this entire system, and I have a CRT terminal with AT&T magsep keyboard which was originally hooked up through the parallel port, but unfortunately I was only able to find the case for the accessory pad while the innards have been lost to time.
- IMG_20200203_175433.jpg (4.77 MiB) Viewed 905 times
- IMG_20200203_175425.jpg (4.28 MiB) Viewed 905 times
Unfortunately I've had these just sitting for a while, and the spare plasma wasn't working, but the other seemed to function just fine, displaying different error codes with and without a keyboard attached. Only one Unsaver for the two plasmas though. Some more pics for fun. Sorry I'm not much of a photographer.
- IMG_20200204_161048.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 860 times
- IMG_20200204_161228.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 867 times
- IMG_20200204_161118.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 867 times
- IMG_20200204_161033.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 867 times
- IMG_20200204_161016.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 867 times