Let me through I'm a fucking astronaut!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2011, 18:30

It's a small step for man, but a giant leap for keyboard... no wait what?! Its still a freaking rubberdome.
NASA Mini Keyboard Front
NASA Mini Keyboard Front
nasa1.jpg (105.87 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
NASA Mini Keyboard Back
NASA Mini Keyboard Back
nasa2.jpg (77.29 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
NASA Mini Keyboard Detail
NASA Mini Keyboard Detail
nasa3.jpg (143.68 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
NASA Mini Keyboard Keycaps
NASA Mini Keyboard Keycaps
nasa4.jpg (153.62 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
Anyway, the story about this one is that I picked up the board on eBay Germany a while ago. The one I received actually had no NASA logo and was in a terrible shape. I complained to the seller and asked for a refund. Nothing happened.

Then 3 months later I just got this again yesterday with an apology letter from the seller. I had already entirely forgotten about it. Of course its still just an old rubberdome as the previous one he sent me, but at least this one has the logo. Maybe it was used in some of the Shuttle missions in the 80s and 90s. Who knows. History may or may not have been typed on these keys. Its nice to at least imagine, so I don't feel too bummed about the rubberdomes. :)

bugfix

30 Jan 2011, 18:32

Here's hoping that no MIB wake you up at six in the morning and want their property back...

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2011, 18:34

bugfix wrote:Here's hoping that no MIB wake you up at six in the morning and want their property back...
hah, they can take it. And all the other rubber domes I have. Saves me the recycling fee!

"You never found out about mechanical keyboards, you will save tons of money and genuinely believe that Logitech makes good keyboards. You will apply for a moderator position at OCN and live happily ever after."

bugfix

30 Jan 2011, 18:37

sixty wrote: genuinely believe that Logitech makes good keyboards.
I remember that time of my live.

The horrors.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2011, 18:39

bugfix wrote:
sixty wrote: genuinely believe that Logitech makes good keyboards.
I remember that time of my live.

The horrors.
Know whats worse? Its worse if you threw away mechanical keyboards before, thinking they were old junk from your first computer. I remember throwing away at least one Model M, willingly about 10 years ago.

bugfix

30 Jan 2011, 18:42

sixty wrote:
bugfix wrote:
sixty wrote: Know whats worse? Its worse if you threw away mechanical keyboards before, thinking they were old junk from your first computer. I remember throwing away at least one Model M, willingly about 10 years ago.
Luckily all I ever used before was rubberdomes.

I feel your pain though.

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jan 2011, 18:49

In outer space, there is no Topre fart problem.

bugfix

30 Jan 2011, 19:35

webwit wrote:Topre fart problem.
What exactly is that anyway?

webwit
Wild Duck

30 Jan 2011, 19:37

I didn't have that problem with my Topre boards, but some have experienced a sound of escaping air from the rubber dome when pressed which was nicknamed the Topre fart.

bugfix

30 Jan 2011, 19:42

Ah, OK mine doesn't do that either.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

30 Jan 2011, 19:47

You can sometimes force it by pressing shift and the key next to it very fast. At least that way I was able to force it on my 55g Realforce. What happens is that the air channel in the membrane is pushed down (from the key you push before shift) and then can't properly release the air from the shift key. At least I think that is what happens.

lowpoly

31 Jan 2011, 13:06

sixty wrote:Know whats worse? Its worse if you threw away mechanical keyboards before, thinking they were old junk from your first computer. I remember throwing away at least one Model M, willingly about 10 years ago.
I threw away the keyboard from my first 4.77 MHz XT clone. When I got into keyboards I really, really regretted this.

Then I found the same one on ebay and it turned out to be foam and foil. :lol:

Lethal Squirrel

02 Feb 2011, 19:50

sixty wrote:Know whats worse? Its worse if you threw away mechanical keyboards before, thinking they were old junk from your first computer. I remember throwing away at least one Model M, willingly about 10 years ago.
I did the same exact thing way back when I had no idea about mechanical keyboards. I also threw out a matias tactile pro that my step dad gave me when I bought his power mac g4, and replaced it with a crappy wireless logitech. basically anything white I thought was garbage.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 19:52

Ouch! I know I also threw away two more clicky keyboards when I was in Japan. I had them from some pc equip that I purchased there and I threw them away because I could not justify their weight when flying back to Germany.

I believe they probably were ALPS.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

07 Mar 2011, 00:32

For some reason dremel'ed one of these last night. I will try to convert it to Cherry MX... somehow!

Return to “Gallery”