Wang 725 retrobrighted

deeyay

18 Nov 2018, 12:20

So I recently got hold of a 28 year old Wang keyboard that was very dirty and the ABS plastic on the case had some fairly heavy yellowing going on. I really wanted to restore this beauty to its former self so this weekend I took the time to retrobright it. The before and after is pretty telling. I used 30% hydrogen peroxide and small UV lamp. The keycaps were just very dirty and since they are PBT they didn't need retrobright.

Excelso

18 Nov 2018, 13:06

Good work.

Findecanor

18 Nov 2018, 15:13

Good job. I suspect that this is one that I had seen for sale not too long ago. :)
Surreal to see Swedish legends ... on most of the keys, but not all.
Oh. Nice that it has convex modifier keys on the bottom row.

deeyay

18 Nov 2018, 16:03

Findecanor wrote: Good job. I suspect that this is one that I had seen for sale not too long ago. :)
Surreal to see Swedish legends ... on most of the keys, but not all.
Oh. Nice that it has convex modifier keys on the bottom row.
Yeah it's the latest one from Tradera. Action ended last week. I'm so glad I got it because it's an amazing keyboard. I love Alps and prefer them when I'm not using Topre. And yes the Swedish legends are awesome (I prefer ISO when I can get it) the double dye sub in particular which makes the keyboard very colorful. The Swedish ISO-variant really seems the most awesome out of all the variants I've seen when it comes to this board.

Hypersphere

18 Nov 2018, 18:46

I have an NIB one, but yours looks better than mine after your retrobrite job!

deeyay

18 Nov 2018, 19:04

Hypersphere wrote: I have an NIB one, but yours looks better than mine after your retrobrite job!
Maybe it got a little bleached. But it will eventually fade back to more yellow after a few years like other stuff I have retrobrighted in the past even though it has been in the dark.

Hypersphere

18 Nov 2018, 19:11

deeyay wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: I have an NIB one, but yours looks better than mine after your retrobrite job!
Maybe it got a little bleached. But it will eventually fade back to more yellow after a few years like other stuff I have retrobrighted in the past even though it has been in the dark.
Thanks. Now I feel better! ;-)

snufflecat

20 Nov 2018, 09:32

Nice work. How long did you leave it in the peroxide?

deeyay

20 Nov 2018, 17:23

snufflecat wrote: Nice work. How long did you leave it in the peroxide?
Around 12 hours =)

lucar

21 Nov 2018, 19:19

deeyay wrote:
Around 12 hours =)
With UV , sunlight..?

Luca

deeyay

22 Nov 2018, 08:34

lucar wrote:
deeyay wrote:
Around 12 hours =)
With UV , sunlight..?

Luca
UV!

lucar

22 Nov 2018, 11:20

Really a nice job! Thanks

Luca

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

28 Nov 2018, 13:04

Very nice work, I need to do this with mine. Enjoy your Wang 725!

Return to “Gallery”