IBM Model M Industrial (10/05/1998)

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

16 Dec 2018, 04:19

Greensquidbro tipped me to this IBM Model M Industrial keyboard on ebay for just $75! The thing is in fantastic condition and very clean. All of the rivets are in tact. I was planning on just flipping it for some extra money but it's too nice and I've fallen in love with it.

mcmaxmcmc

16 Dec 2018, 09:25

Wow! For only $75? That's a killer deal! Very nice.

green-squid

17 Dec 2018, 14:45

Awesooome glad you like it Snack!! Needs some work though (the right click and the cable)

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

07 Jan 2019, 03:06

Okay, I've been wrestling with this all day and finally got it working well.

My goal was to get both the keyboard and the trackpoint working. TMK supports ps2 mouse conversion so I thought I could get it working using a single microcontroller. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out any way to get that working so I settled for two. Which sadly means that the keyboard requires two USB cables if you want to use the trackpoint. Kind of a bummer but not a deal breaker. It is *industrial* after all. Maybe I should have added a third USB cable to make it even more *industrial*.

The cable that connects the ps2 connectors to the PCB has 6 pins, and they're pretty close together. My plan was to use female breadboard jumpers to fashion a new connector. It worked great at first but after attaching and detaching several times, some of the pins stopped making solid connections. I eventually abandoned this idea and sacrificed the connector from the original cable to repair the problem.

Here are some photos of the original connector I made:
Spoiler:

And the frankenstein'd connector that I made with the piece from the original cable:
Spoiler:
Not the prettiest work, but it'll do! It hides inside the case, after all.

Then I got everything tucked back in the case...
Spoiler:
And here is how it looks from the outside once the case is reassembled.
Spoiler:
Everything works great but I have to say, the trackpoint is a bit of a novelty. I'll realistically never use it. But it didn't feel right fixing this board up and leaving that feature in the dust.

Now all that's left to do is put the keycaps back on. My girlfriend loves doing that and I hate doing it so I'll wait for her to get home :)

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

07 Jan 2019, 05:07

Here are some "after" photos.

Return to “Gallery”