Restoring an HHKB JP ? Aren't they too young for that ?

Myoth

19 May 2019, 16:48

When I saw the pics of the listing of that keyboard, I was at first, disgusted, but ... I pitied that keyboard, you know ? it was 10 years old, and seems to have been through a lot, but something happened, and it wasn't used anymore, and now it was abandoned to the world of numbers, people didn't see it as a keyboard anymore, it was no more than junk ! I was sad, I didn't need this keyboard, so I was not going to do anything about it, therefore it probably wouldn't haven't done much more than sit in that some box. I kept looking at it from time to time, because it was still something cool.

Then I took the decision, I will not stand for consumerism, I will get that HHKB, I will bring it back to life, and I will use it.

And I got it :D

PART 1 : THE COMING AND UNCAPPING

ImageP5110001 by Myoth, sur Flickr
ImageP5110008 by Myoth, sur Flickr
ImageP5110006 by Myoth, sur Flickr
ImageP5110016 by Myoth, sur Flickr

PART 2 : THE CLEANING

So much my friend Brush can do :(

At this point I decided that disassembling the thing and cleaning it by hand with water and soap was a good idea, and so the disassembly begun
ImageP5110003 by Myoth, sur Flickr

Oh ... I guess I'll give these an ultrasonic bath as well
ImageP5110006 by Myoth, sur Flickr

*BATH AND CLEANING*

Just look how clean it came out !!

artsy shot
Image20190511_125533 by Myoth, sur Flickr

s p o t l e s s
ImageP5110008 by Myoth, sur Flickr

PART 3 : IT'S CLEAN, TIME TO ENJOY

Fancying a little sunbath ?
ImageP5190014 by Myoth, sur Flickr
ImageP5190011 by Myoth, sur Flickr

And installed on the desk
ImageP5110009 by Myoth, sur Flickr

PART 4 : CONCLUSION

This board is quite a fun one, it's not something I will daily, but it's something I can definitely see myself use whenever I'll need to type a lot when I'm not at my desk, it's so light and small that it makes for the best traveling keyboard, not to mention its quietness and its arrow keys. The layout isn't that hard to adjust to, at least less than I thought it would be, forcing myself to use the Left Shift is something I struggle with, but it's nothing that I can't adjust in a few weeks, I would guess

This wasn't the hardest nor riskiest restoration I've done (cf : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18162&start=), but it was certainly one I enjoyed, quick and snappy. As Topre :smirk:

Dingster

19 May 2019, 19:15

Nice restoration and a beautiful keyboard. Probably the only HHKB with a seemingly livable layout (disregard if you are used to the HHKB layout heh). Nice ;)

Return to “Gallery”