G80-1000HAY

Dingster

15 Jun 2019, 16:13

Recently found a G80-1000HAY on a local forum.
And boy oh boy what a wild ride this was. The seller told me that the board was very dirty, which of course didnt scare me off. I've dealt with dirty boards before...or so I thought.

Doesn't look too bad!

Until you get a bit closer...

Image It's probably just grimy right...?

Oh well I'll have to open it anyway for a clean.

Image At this point I decided this was no longer an inside job...
And thank god I did.

After removing 32 metric fucktons of fluff, crumbs, hair, nails and other bodily fluids from the PCB, it actually started to look kind of clean...albeit a little dusty. After declaring it "safe for use" I decided to just put it back in its case (which I cleaned while the keycaps were soaking).

Actually looking bearable at this point :D

Case and keycaps were a little yellowed, but the YU excluse keys are still nice and white, except Đ (not sure why).

Overall it was a pretty "fun" clean, I'm just thankful I didnt contract any diseases :mrgreen:

Made in 1990, the MX black switches it came with are incredibly smooth and pleasant to type on.

Tias

15 Jun 2019, 16:33

Holy crap :shock: , the seller really didn't exaggerate when he said that it was dirty...
You did a fantastic job on cleaning it up though :D Make sure to burn all equipment used during the cleaning ;) Congrats and hope you enjoy the board!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Jun 2019, 16:37

Once you have cleaned a few keyboards, you are actually immune to a lot of diseases,
but the vaccine overdose contained in this one could certainly have killed you instead :mrgreen:

Nice keyboard!

Dingster

15 Jun 2019, 16:39

Thanks to both of you, warm water and soap goes a long way :D

Return to “Gallery”