Black IBM Battleship Model F

Wazrach

06 Sep 2019, 19:20

So after drooling over another user's black F122, I decided to do something similar with my 4980 Model F.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/3iub1ti5w/

With the help of Troy at Unicomp, I ordered a custom set of keycaps. I said I wanted as many sublegends as possible, as I love the cryptic terminal legends. He suggested an APL set as the base set, with a mixture of terminal keycaps from other 122-key boards. I don't give a shit about what keyboard layout I'm using, so I decided to get the best of both! An ISO Enter and large left Shift. ;)

I took the case to a body shop which isn't too far from me. I was expecting them to be happy to take my money for a shitty paint job, but that's not the case. They clearly went above and beyond with this paint job. I left the case with them last Tuesday, and it was absolutely worth the wait. I'll DEFINITELY be going there again.

I'm still waiting for Clark Kable to manufacture and ship my coiled cable. I ordered a platinum grey one to compliment the keycaps.

depletedvespene

06 Sep 2019, 21:37

Woah. That's a great paint job.

Enjoy your black and gray battleship!

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

06 Sep 2019, 21:43

Yeah, definitely really nice job on the paint. People don't realize all the factors that go into a nice looking paint job. I myself am pretty terrible at it but I have an appreciation for the effort that goes into it.

The only thing that would make it cooler would be a vantablack paint job (like that BMW that's been making the rounds on the web. Okay, maybe that's a bad idea. Being able to see your keyboard is usually a desirable thing.

depletedvespene

06 Sep 2019, 22:02

snacksthecat wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 21:43
The only thing that would make it cooler would be a vantablack paint job (like that BMW that's been making the rounds on the web. Okay, maybe that's a bad idea. Being able to see your keyboard is usually a desirable thing.
Hell, no! Let's get THAT tone of black on a keyboard! And then put in some "black on black" keycaps on top, and then test the capacity of the true masters of touch typing.

Wazrach

06 Sep 2019, 22:08

I would say thanks, but that's not my work! Hehe.

I did restore the assembly. By that, I mean I opened it multiple times to change shit because I'm a tinkerer. Stiiiiill not 100% for me. I reckon it could sound and feel better. ;)

Wazrach

06 Sep 2019, 22:09

That black car is ridiculous. WTF?

Cool, but... why?

Return to “Gallery”