Yuchipashe's Yahoo Auction Haul Pt. 1

yuchipashe

09 Oct 2019, 18:44

I bought a ton of keyboards from Yahoo Auction. What started with seeing a listing of an NEC Topre keyboard to subcat creating the Yahoo Auction! Thread, it went deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole. Ended up spending more than 10x my budget on keyboards and vintage computers, so here are pics of what I got. Also, if anyone knows how to build a controller for these keyboards (especially the SORD keeb), please do tell me.

Also, it took me almost 3 months to post these pics, got too lazy to write all of these (Sorry, UncleFan :lol:)

1. SORD M343-KB (Cherry M7)

My favourite out of the bunch. I like the smoothness of the M7 and how cool the keycaps look, along with its size. The borders around the reset key looked so wonderful too, to the point where I ended up wanting to get this without any exception.

2. Hitachi Basic Master MB-6855 T (SKCC Tall Cream)

Got this because of the really good caps. Surprisingly, it works really well and runs, you've guessed it, basic. It looks really good with the green monochrome monitor I have, very Fallout atmosphere. Too bad one of the stem is broken off along with its cap missing. But it would be nice to create a custom case for this.

3. Sharp X1 Turbo DSETK0006CE02 (Alps SKCL Green)

I always wanted to get a vintage pc that isn't beige, and saw this with a really good price. The keyboard needs retrobriting, but after the mishap that I had on my Macintosh classic suddenly having a marbled effect, I ended up not retrobriting any of my collection, and the list gets piling up. I wonder if a converter could be created without its original cable, since the cable has already disintegrated :/

Spoiler:
Imgur Album (for some reason imgur decided to triple upload)
Typing test

4. NEC N8334-203 (Topre)
A topre keyboard. With extra rows on top. And a column on the right. With a beeper. Jesus christ this is the longest keyboard I have to date, and the travel distance between the alphas to the mouse made me want to just rage quit. The keyboard is pleasant (as with any topre boards), but the condom switch seemed to be too quiet that NEC decided to add a beeper to make sure that you actually pressed the key and not miss it by accident. Just imagine a whole office with beeper in max volume :o

5. JDL EKUJ8 (Topre)
Another Topre keyboard, this time the nav cluster is above the number key, and a lot of really weird key macros. A ton of dedicated keys for ctrl+ shortcuts (cut, paste, find, etc), a key for 1/2 enter (shift + enter), a bunch of key combos that doesn't make sense, and a really useful tab key on the numpad. Surprisingly, after getting used to it, it made me program more productively, and the shortcuts work often since they're on the left of the nav cluster.

Spoiler:
Imgur Album
(No Typing test, sadly I forgot to press record in Audacity :( )

6. Apple M0110J
A very nice keyboard, got it along with a Macintosh Plus. 10/10 very smooth.

7. NEC PC8801 (NEC Vintage Linear)
Mine was very dirty, but very cheap. Got it for the computer, really. Was really painful to type on, planning on getting a cleaner one to try out how it should feel like. Still a cool looking keyboard imo, gives off a very 70s vibe with the old filter and all that. The top-right stop key (Blue slider with white base) has the heaviest switch I've ever felt, presumably to prevent accidentally pressing it.

8. NEC PC9801LS-01 Ten Keyboard (NEC White Ovals)

Got this NIB since it was only 300 yen. Seller decided that the shipping would be 1500 yen, more than I expected :/, Still a pretty good linear switch imo. I could imagine getting 2 of this and making an ortholinear keyboard out of it.

9. Panasonic FW-TK101 (Spring over Membrane)
A spring over membrane tenkey keyboard. Felt a lot better than all the other spring over membrane I tried

I already have a couple of new keyboards after taking these pics, with my favourite being 2 pachinco machine control panels with Alps SKCC Cream in it, surprisingly, and the rest still in Japan. With this alongside getting a new beamspring and a kishsaver repro, I've spent more money this year than the past 20 years of my life combined :lol:
Last edited by yuchipashe on 09 Oct 2019, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

JP!

09 Oct 2019, 18:55

Very nice haul and quite the collection of unique keyboards. May your wallet recover. :lol:

//gainsborough
ALPSの日常

09 Oct 2019, 18:58

That NEC N8334-203 board is so cool!!

spedlike

09 Oct 2019, 22:35

those topre boards are really something else :shock:

Lanrefni

15 Oct 2019, 21:02

The Sord has amazingly nice keycaps.

mcmaxmcmc

16 Oct 2019, 07:22

Gah lee, that must've costed you a kidney to get all that :shock: very nice though!

Return to “Gallery”