[Datanetics DC-50] ABT Apple Keypad

zrrion

30 Oct 2019, 02:09

Just got one of these in the mail. The switches are really nice, lightly weighted with a cool sound and a slight but very noticeable tactile bump. I am not sure exactly what it is about the bump but I really like it. The keypad came in the original box and is pretty immaculate so I am hesitant to open it up and peek at the internals (plus the screws are hidden underneath the rubber feet.) I will eventually open it though and I will update the thread with pictures when I do.

Always nice to have an OG price sticker

A single switch for the enter key. The caps on this thing are unused but they aren't textured at all so they are super shiny.

Two switches for the zero key? I think this is to allow a split zero with another key, possible a coma, to ocupy the other switch, but I can't say for sure. It is interesting that both the zero and enter keys have a spot for what I assume is a peg stabilizer, but neither of them use it.

The end of the cable exposes the matrix directly if I understand things correctly. If that is the case then it will be trivial to convert this non-destructively.

MMcM

05 Jan 2021, 01:55

Is this perhaps The KeyPad Model A?

I've only seen Model B ones like in the wiki. They connect via a 9-pin d-sub that you solder onto the TKC encoder board.
Apple-II-encoder-mods.jpg
Apple-II-encoder-mods.jpg (822.16 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
(This one also has the lowercase switch that one can also solder on after cutting some traces.)

But the one here looks like it splices itself directly into the encoder chip by stacking the 40-pin socket.

If you have the manual, it might be worth scanning to add to the peripherals documentation project.

Return to “Gallery”