The ISO64: RGB Alps Goodness

Mattr567

04 Nov 2019, 02:31

Hey everyone! I haven't posted in a while but I have a new build I completed back in September: The ISO64!

Parts list:
IBM 5556 Chinese alphas
IBM 5140 US and Dutch mods
AT101 7U Spacebar
SKCM Blue
XD60 PCB
Custom cut plate designed by Delirious
Frosted 5 degree case
Paracord USB Type C cable

Finished pics first

Really wanted to do a "white-out" style board, but with Alps finding the right caps isn't easy. This is where the ISO 5140 came in. The rare white 2U backspace and ISO enter are what really make the build in my opinion. With the niceness of the scooped home row keys + the blue legends matching the plate and switch color :twisted:

PCB wise modding was required. The Alps ISO enter and right ctrl position was off so I had to drill new holes with my tiny hand-drill. Managed to do this with only needing one jumper wire!

As far as I'm aware this is the only Alps compatible RGB 60% PCB out there that isn't part of an expensive GB. QMK was easy to learn and the use of Type C is appreciated. I had to shave the cable end down a bit to clear the case but it wasn't a huge deal. Also shaved down the blocker "sockets" so they sit flush in the alps plate hole. And since this PCB is MX compatible as well, the mounting solution for the blocker still worked perfectly using the big MX hole for the screw ;)

Scarpia

04 Nov 2019, 09:42

Nice build!! As complex as it is under the hood, you’ve made it look clean and cohesive, no easy feat for a custom Alps build with multiple keycap sources. Big kudos!

4sStylZ

04 Nov 2019, 13:51

Very interesting solution with the drill. Well played.

Return to “Gallery”