Unicomp Black Friday F Bigfoot

User avatar
zrrion

06 Dec 2019, 01:52

Picked up a Model F Bigfoot from Unicomp's black Friday thing, pretty jazzed about it.
Image
always nice to have an IBM box.

Image
The flip out feet are tall

Image
I guess its a model M Bigfoot

Image
1996, not bad for an F.

Image
Another 1996, plate is in good shape, and the foam is intact as well

It is a pretty interesting case, I really like the multi-stage flip out feet. Interestingly enough the space bar is not as heavy as a normal model F. It would appear that the refurb process involved lightening it a bit.

John Doe

06 Dec 2019, 02:13

Neat case, clean plate, no rust at all, with original box, i'll say it's really good deal for 89 bucks.

Congrates.

User avatar
TheInverseKey

06 Dec 2019, 02:41

Wow nice photos cannot wait to get mine now!

IKSLM

06 Dec 2019, 09:11

So if this F is a M; is it capacitive or membrane?

Wazrach

06 Dec 2019, 10:31

Yep! I love living in the UK! Missing out on this was not easy, but I just had to accept that I can't have everything in life.

User avatar
Chyros

06 Dec 2019, 12:25

Got mine in today as well :D . Normally I don't really like Christmas commercialness, but this was a nice deal :) .

It definitely SOUNDS like a Model F, but feels like a Lexmark. It's not as smooth as an IBM would be, and two of the switches feel like they don't buckle as crisply. Still, can't be too bad for the money, and considering I didn't own this model of F yet :D .

User avatar
ZedTheMan

06 Dec 2019, 16:23

Mine came in yesterday. These things were actually dated really close to my dad's birthday. (Wrong year, of course) Off by only a day!
Anyways, I can second Chyros's experience. They feel surprisingly Lexmark-like in terms of scratchiness, but otherwise, like a mint F. It's very nice, though!

User avatar
sharktastica

06 Dec 2019, 16:39

Wazrach wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 10:31
Yep! I love living in the UK! Missing out on this was not easy, but I just had to accept that I can't have everything in life.
I know how you feel. However, Unicomp listed the Bigfoots a day early compared to the rest of the deals and linked it on their Facebook page, which could have been a blessing (more time to buy) or a curse (might have not known that it was listed early) to non-US buyers. I would have bought one, but if it makes you feel better, I unfortunately paid a premium on buying one off eBay a day or so before (but it's at least a 1986 build and in good nick). I ended up staying awake the night and bought one of the 50-key Model Ms instead. Tempted by the APL battlecruiser as well and it's stock lasted a while longer than the others, but I couldn't afford shipping and import on one of those as well.

anmq91

06 Dec 2019, 22:43

John Doe wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 02:13
Neat case, clean plate, no rust at all, with original box, i'll say it's really good deal for 89 bucks.

Congrates.
I saw it for even less initially. They had put it on for a lower price and then raised the price when the first stock of 11 units ran out.

Also, I had no idea that they were making model F's in 1996. Was this made as a replacement unit, and were there other F's that were also made as replacements so late in timeline? :/ Either way, nice buy Thomas! I'm already getting the popcorn out for another model F review :lol:

kcrimson

07 Dec 2019, 08:05

Can't believe I missed out on that, wow

User avatar
Chyros

07 Dec 2019, 22:02

anmq91 wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 22:43
John Doe wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 02:13
Neat case, clean plate, no rust at all, with original box, i'll say it's really good deal for 89 bucks.

Congrates.
I saw it for even less initially. They had put it on for a lower price and then raised the price when the first stock of 11 units ran out.

Also, I had no idea that they were making model F's in 1996. Was this made as a replacement unit, and were there other F's that were also made as replacements so late in timeline? :/ Either way, nice buy Thomas! I'm already getting the popcorn out for another model F review :lol:
In my enthusiast I opened it on the spot, even though I originally wanted to do an unboxing video of it xD . Mine was slightly cheaper at $79, but still a steal. Obviously there will be a review about it at some point, but this will be a while, as I have several other things I need to get out of the way first.

Note that these weren't made in 1996 that I know of, they were REFURBISHED by Lexmark at that time. That's why they look so new, but I'm sure the original manufacture date was way earlier. It does feel a little bit insulting to put a sticker on it that says "Model M", but it's not quite the same as a Model F either xD .

User avatar
JP!

07 Dec 2019, 22:09

I would have expected the tag on the cable to have been much older. This is totally weird. Maybe the factory that manufactured the cables had some NOS cables in reserve and re-tagged them. :?: Also I'd be curious to know if there are any manufacturing date codes on any IC's on the PCB.

User avatar
wobbled

07 Dec 2019, 22:35

It's possible they were just assembled from the spare shit they bought from IBM

anmq91

08 Dec 2019, 02:46

Chyros wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 22:02
anmq91 wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 22:43
John Doe wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 02:13
Neat case, clean plate, no rust at all, with original box, i'll say it's really good deal for 89 bucks.

Congrates.
I saw it for even less initially. They had put it on for a lower price and then raised the price when the first stock of 11 units ran out.

Also, I had no idea that they were making model F's in 1996. Was this made as a replacement unit, and were there other F's that were also made as replacements so late in timeline? :/ Either way, nice buy Thomas! I'm already getting the popcorn out for another model F review :lol:
In my enthusiast I opened it on the spot, even though I originally wanted to do an unboxing video of it xD . Mine was slightly cheaper at $79, but still a steal. Obviously there will be a review about it at some point, but this will be a while, as I have several other things I need to get out of the way first.

Note that these weren't made in 1996 that I know of, they were REFURBISHED by Lexmark at that time. That's why they look so new, but I'm sure the original manufacture date was way earlier. It does feel a little bit insulting to put a sticker on it that says "Model M", but it's not quite the same as a Model F either xD .
It's a steal for sure! Being refurbished by Lexmark I would assume they are in pretty much new condition 8-) . I was contemplating jumping for one of them myself, but decided to sleep on it and by the time I got round to it they were all gone XD. On the upside, I got my first Model F AT a few days back and am absolutely loving it (my thumbs not so much).. But seriously I never understood what you meant when you said the model F was far superior to the Model M in just about every way - now I understand it completely ;) Just waiting on a DIN to USB Soarers converter from Orihalcon's webshop to get it up and running on my computer. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming content! :)

User avatar
Chyros

08 Dec 2019, 12:14

anmq91 wrote:
08 Dec 2019, 02:46
Chyros wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 22:02
anmq91 wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 22:43


I saw it for even less initially. They had put it on for a lower price and then raised the price when the first stock of 11 units ran out.

Also, I had no idea that they were making model F's in 1996. Was this made as a replacement unit, and were there other F's that were also made as replacements so late in timeline? :/ Either way, nice buy Thomas! I'm already getting the popcorn out for another model F review :lol:
In my enthusiast I opened it on the spot, even though I originally wanted to do an unboxing video of it xD . Mine was slightly cheaper at $79, but still a steal. Obviously there will be a review about it at some point, but this will be a while, as I have several other things I need to get out of the way first.

Note that these weren't made in 1996 that I know of, they were REFURBISHED by Lexmark at that time. That's why they look so new, but I'm sure the original manufacture date was way earlier. It does feel a little bit insulting to put a sticker on it that says "Model M", but it's not quite the same as a Model F either xD .
It's a steal for sure! Being refurbished by Lexmark I would assume they are in pretty much new condition 8-) . I was contemplating jumping for one of them myself, but decided to sleep on it and by the time I got round to it they were all gone XD. On the upside, I got my first Model F AT a few days back and am absolutely loving it (my thumbs not so much).. But seriously I never understood what you meant when you said the model F was far superior to the Model M in just about every way - now I understand it completely ;) Just waiting on a DIN to USB Soarers converter from Orihalcon's webshop to get it up and running on my computer. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming content! :)
It's very difficult to explain, isn't it? It just becomes apparent when you try them out, especially next to MBS. The same thing roughly goes for blue v. white Alps, and for me even beamsprings v. CBS. You never know what it's supposed to be like until you try it!

anmq91

08 Dec 2019, 13:23

Chyros wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 22:02
It's very difficult to explain, isn't it? It just becomes apparent when you try them out, especially next to MBS. The same thing roughly goes for blue v. white Alps, and for me even beamsprings v. CBS. You never know what it's supposed to be like until you try it!
[/quote]

Yeah, it really is! It's got my curiosity triggered now about both blue Alps and beamsprings. Hoping to get a chance in the future to try them both out, just need to get lucky enough to land an awesome find. :) P.S. apologies for the horrible quoting, I need to get used to using the quoting system here XD.

Post Reply

Return to “Gallery”