Alps switch comparison photo

Chyros

11 Dec 2019, 22:40

A photo I took recently for this week's review, showing an early blue Alps switch compared to a late white one. If you look closely, you can see how every single part has changed at least once.

Thought it might be handy for reference, or the wiki, or something :) .

Polecat

12 Dec 2019, 04:16

Chyros wrote:
11 Dec 2019, 22:40
A photo I took recently for this week's review, showing an early blue Alps switch compared to a late white one. If you look closely, you can see how every single part has changed at least once.

Thought it might be handy for reference, or the wiki, or something :) .
Nice photo, thanks! Seems like we should have documentation like this for each variation, but if we do I haven't found it. Another question (to nobody in particular) is whether the mold numbering, specifically the number prefix on the upper right (22 on the white one here) corresponds to age? In other words is this a generation number for the molds, and would later switches therefore have a higher number here? D. Beardsmore said nobody would be interested when I asked about this before, but it sure would be nice to be able to predict which switch had which internal parts, and what the effects of those parts are on the sound and feel of the switches. Is anyone else interested in learning more about this, or would that spoil the mystery of Alps switches?

ZedTheMan

12 Dec 2019, 04:21

Id certainly be interested in trying to unravel the mystery of Alps.

abrahamstechnology

12 Dec 2019, 23:43

I was lucky to get some super-early Blue Alps for my project, they are so old that the contacts are epoxied into the bottom shell.

Elrick

13 Dec 2019, 03:09

Polecat wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 04:16
Is anyone else interested in learning more about this, or would that spoil the mystery of Alps switches?
Would be extremely happy to learn MORE about ALPs vagaries and all of their presentations.

Having perfect visual depictions would help serve everyone that have even a passing interest in this Switch Design. Also DT would be the place to furnish such admiration for this much loved switch.

It's at least admired and used at my place and even a couple Ankle-biters are getting use to the Alps phenomena. Have always encouraged devotion and enlightenment for this switch, at my place.

May even worship it far more, than some IBM Heavy Iron examples.....

Return to “Gallery”