[Cherry M9] Ultratech Miniprint

zrrion

09 Jan 2020, 03:36

I've been interested in these sorts of TDD/TTY devices for a while now, what with their interesting legends, small size, and the complete redundancy in the face of cell phone texting. A shame all of them that I have thus far acquired have not been functioning because my bank still has a line for these and I really want to call them with one.

Not much on the labels, no manufacture date or anything.

And as you can see, someone really used the heck out of this thing! They must have had long nails too to do this sort of damage to the spacebar.

Close up on the spacebar. Yikes.

Some M9s, this stem isn't compatible with newer MX caps, but later stems are. Except for the oldest examples of these caps, they are compatible with the later stems. I do not know who made these caps (Cherry maybe?) but they did a fantastic job and the suspicion that the Miniprint had these caps was a big factor on getting it.

Closeup on some more nail damage.

Comparing the caps on this with the caps from another old Cherry board. Definitely the same manufacturer.

A very workable numpad could be made from these if one so desired. Only thing missing is the *

These are PCB mount, except for the spacebar, which uses a plate held to the PCB by 2 tall rivets to hold in the stabilizers. Not the worst design I suppose.

removed from the Miniprint like this the thing looks super cool.

pics of non-keyboard internals:
Spoiler:

I am not sure why they keyboard module's traces look like they have thorns but I can dig it.

Probably what killed it.

Closeup on the "solder thorns" Its a sinister look. No idea what causes this but I suspect it is a defect of some sort.
I guess I'll clean up the caps, desolder the switches, and this will be a parts board. Not much else I can do with it, which is a shame since it would be cool to have a working unit, especially of an older one. Eventually one of these will work when I get it.

Return to “Gallery”