IBM Model M Rescue II

snuci
Vintage computer guy

21 Feb 2020, 00:21

Some time back, I rescued a few IBM Model Ms from impending destruction at an industrial plant. Naturally, I worked with someone inside the plant to get the keyboards to me because they had literally no value. Back then, I offered a fair value and ended up with the IBM Model M Rescue.

Today I thought I'd show you a smaller space saving "IBM Model M II" rescue. This lot had an additional 8 IBM Model M keyboards but the person at the plant decided to try to sell those locally. I offered a fair value for the four IBM Industrial SSKs you see below plus he threw in a white Unicomp that simply says "Model M" on the bottom becaue I like the look and I need a rubber dome for the office (because we are moving to an open space and a Model M just won't do there. I can't find the IBM model for this at the moment but I figured I'd show some pictures. These still need to be cleaned up and I will take pictures of the rear labels (two are Lexmark and two are IBM). All are 41G3600s.
Box as it arrived
Box as it arrived
IBM SSK Rescue - box as it arrived.JPG (354.23 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
Opening box
Opening box
IBM SSK Rescue - Openning box.JPG (376.34 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
Move the Unicomp out of the way
Move the Unicomp out of the way
IBM SSK Rescue - Move the Unicomp out of the way .JPG (415.93 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
The keyboards
The keyboards
IBM SSK Rescue - The keyboards.JPG (364.72 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
Group shot - IBM Industrial SSKs
Group shot - IBM Industrial SSKs
IBM SSK Rescue - IBM Industrial SSKs.JPG (367.19 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
Group shot with previous Industrial SSKs
Group shot with previous Industrial SSKs
IBM SSK Rescue - With previous Industrial SSKs.JPG (435.78 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
Group shot - stacked
Group shot - stacked
IBM SSK Rescue - Stacked.JPG (284.37 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
Group shot - stacked side view
Group shot - stacked side view
IBM SSK Rescue - Stacked side view.JPG (247.51 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
Front Profile
Front Profile
IBM SSK Rescue - Front profile.JPG (283.15 KiB) Viewed 3904 times

depletedvespene

21 Feb 2020, 00:37

That one... must have suffered a lot for it to look like that. How does it, and the others, look on the inside?

(I'll refrain from letting my envy win me over... for now)

snuci
Vintage computer guy

21 Feb 2020, 00:43

depletedvespene wrote:
That one... must have suffered a lot for it to look like that. How does it, and the others, look on the inside?
I think the one you are referring to is the one in the silicon sleeve? It is like brand new underneath as it has never been directly touched by human fingers :) The one with the paper label below the space bar needs clean up but even that is great as they were all barely used. Think of the ones that were in a Data Center. They were only used for troubleshooting and they were otherwise locked up. The one that had it the roughest was the Mopar SSK and that is pretty good inside and out with some light scratches on the back.

I will take more pictures on the weekend when I have better light.

depletedvespene

21 Feb 2020, 00:48

snuci wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 00:43
depletedvespene wrote:
I think the one you are referring to is the one in the silicon sleeve? It is like brand new underneath as it has never been directly touched by human fingers :) The one with the paper label below the space bar needs clean up but even that is great as they were all barely used. Think of the ones that were in a Data Center. They were only used for troubleshooting and they were otherwise locked up. The one that had it the roughest was the Mopar SSK and that is pretty good inside and out with some light scratches on the back.

I will take more pictures on the weekend when I have better light.
That's freakin' IT. :oops: I'm getting glasses. :(

Now that I look more carefully, in a couple pictures you CAN see it's indeed a sleeve over the keyboard (but in two others I still can't tell the difference).

Once more, nice rescue!

John Doe

21 Feb 2020, 03:44

Indy SSKs.

Okay, I admit I'm jealous now.

kmnov2017

21 Feb 2020, 08:02

Ship me one...

mcmaxmcmc

21 Feb 2020, 09:17

Oh Jesus fkn Christ, man... I want one 😂

Nice find!

Damonskv

21 Feb 2020, 11:06

Damn, do you plan to sell some here?

snuci
Vintage computer guy

21 Feb 2020, 13:40

I will have to sell some of them but not all. If anyone is interested, PM me with an offer. Please note, I didn't get these cheap so I can't offer an amazing deal unfortunately.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 Feb 2020, 02:13

snuci wrote:
I will have to sell some of them but not all. If anyone is interested, PM me with an offer. Please note, I didn't get these cheap so I can't offer an amazing deal unfortunately.
PM'd, great finds!

Portdog4

12 Mar 2020, 14:08

snuci wrote:
PM'd

Return to “Gallery”