My customized IBM 3278 Beamspring!

Erderm_

31 Mar 2020, 07:20

Blue caps from a IBM 029 punchcard reader + badge from a IBM PS/2 to TV thingy :)

Someday it will get a black paintjob!

AJM

31 Mar 2020, 10:27

Congratulations! That's a very nice specimen. (and with very nice German keycaps, too!)
But please think carefully before painting it, because the original paint is in quite good condition and - unless done very professionally - a repainted keyboard can become a very sticky, unpleasant affair. Especially with a keyboard like this, where the case acts also as a wrist rest.

Fkazim

31 Mar 2020, 13:12

Looks really nice great job. I would keep the original paint it looks good.

shine

31 Mar 2020, 16:05

I have a 3276 and I'll paint the case with RAL 9010, love the keycaps though. I got a spare set of gray keycaps from a selectric but blues are... hmmm, love!

dcopellino

31 Mar 2020, 20:16

Erderm_ wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 07:20

Blue caps from a IBM 029 punchcard reader + badge from a IBM PS/2 to TV thingy :)

Someday it will get a black paintjob!
Hey man, really a belvedere your little beast. I think the best specimen among all the beamsprings I have seen around. Do you use it as daily driver? and if yes how do you do with key layout. What key do you miss more. Del key, alt, ctrl, command or something else?

darkcruix

16 Sep 2020, 17:54

I did powder-coat mine and it turned out to be really the only way to properly get it restored ... paint was horrible (used it before):
IMG_0003.jpeg
IMG_0003.jpeg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 2677 times

JP!

16 Sep 2020, 18:54

darkcruix wrote:
I did powder-coat mine and it turned out to be really the only way to properly get it restored ... paint was horrible (used it before):
IMG_0003.jpeg
Beautiful :D What did you do for the plastic door since you can't powder coat plastic?

Also as far as paint there is better stuff than what comes in a rattle can that hobbyists typically use.

M9HM

16 Sep 2020, 18:58

JP! wrote:
darkcruix wrote:
IMG_0003.jpeg
Beautiful :D What did you do for the plastic door since you can't powder coat plastic?

Also as far as paint there is better stuff than what comes in a rattle can that hobbyists typically use.
I have used spray cans before for pieces (not keyboars and I am not suggesting doing this to a beamspring) with good results. I even painted the bullbar of my old Nissan Patrol with spray paint in order to get rid of a horrible looking 25 year old chrome finish, and my conclusion is that, as long as you go for the really good quality cans, they work pretty well, Montana Colors and such, work great.

darkcruix

16 Sep 2020, 19:07

JP! wrote:
darkcruix wrote:
IMG_0003.jpeg

Plastic door is a two component paint - very thin

Return to “Gallery”